Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best Songs by 'Non-Anglicised' Artists

2»

Comments

• edited May 21
    Samantha Crain makes some beautiful music, many of her songs are sung in her native Choctaw language. This doesn't strictly fit the criteria as she's from the US, but thought I'd mention her all the same.
  • Excellent from Germany:

Die Toten Hosen (originally a punk band) and been going since 1982
    Die Fantastischen Vier a hip hop band
  • edited May 22
    From Finland - Nightwish

edit: just googled what anglicised means, they don't count!
  • Samantha Crain makes some beautiful music, many of her songs are sung in her native Choctaw language. This doesn't strictly fit the criteria as she's from the US, but thought I'd mention her all the same.
    Saw her last year and she was a little surprised to hear a drunk English bloke tell her the Choctaw song she did was great. 
  • Luis Fonsi - Despacito - you will hear worldwide.
  • My daughters growing up are both very into reggaeton - it's utter dross in my 'expert' view but it's sung in Spanish and/or English and is absolutely huge for young people. 

From my more rock orientated standpoint, I'm a big fan of Rammstein, and finally getting to see them this year. Spain offers interesting regional variations. The Basque country seems to have been a haven for Ska music, Kortatu being a favourite of mine, while Galicia turns out a few heavy bands - Los Suaves probably beong the biggest. I was at a festival last summer to see the Offspring, and the band up first who I thought pre concert were going to be Catalans, were an Icelandic band called Sigur Ros. They are apparently big in Icland, but the Catalans loved them and to be honest, so did I. Weird mix of sounds, an amazing spectacle to watch and a guy who played his guitar with a bow, violin style. Worth a listen but I found their live style was a lot better than the studio sound, both visually and to listen to.
  • Ah, Sigur Ros, how could I forget them? Probably because I think they somehow lost their mojo after about 2012. Went to see them in Prague in 2008, knowing very little about them, like about 50% of the audience, and after it ended we all looked slightly dazed. The early albums up to 2010 are the best IMO, theres a live album and also a terrific film
    about them returning to tour in Iceland at that time.
  • 500 miles, by the Proclaimers 

;-)
  • edited May 22
    Sigur ros is a good shout but that album, in particular that song got ruined for me by the BBC and itv using it at every given opportunity to advertise a up and coming drama, soap, food program, sport event, nature documentary and during some soppy shite when we are supposed to feel emotional about some dozy bint on a "talent" show who starts crying while telling us how hard this last year has been what with the shock passing of her pet hamster after running it over in her 4x4. All before she then takes to the stage to sing a song from the back catalogue of Celine Dion and the word inspirational is repeated again and again by judges and presenters a like all the while she breaks down yet again but says how much this has boosted her self confidence. So inspirational.
  • https://youtu.be/MlG-Kcohix4?si=EziqSn3PwjfBTSwo
    Got obsessed by Les Rita Mitsouko about a year ago wondering how I'd never heard of them
    Saw Catherine Ringer on a Micheal Polantaf tribute another pop genius hardly known here
  • Sponsored links:

• McCartney said:
    https://youtu.be/MlG-Kcohix4?si=EziqSn3PwjfBTSwo
    Got obsessed by Les Rita Mitsouko about a year ago wondering how I'd never heard of them
    Saw Catherine Ringer on a Micheal Polantaf tribute another pop genius hardly known here
    Excellent call!
  • Nitin Sawhney uses lots of languages in his songs Homelands is a beutiful track sang in Calo, a Romany language. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5tmVJGrL4
  • edited May 24
    Lots of decent sounding acts on here. Cheers, I shall enjoy listening. Apologies up front though, I will not be listening to The Ketchup Song.