Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best Songs by 'Non-Anglicised' Artists

Britain has a fantastic record at producing rock and pop music that sells worldwide. So does America and so does Ireland. Canada, Australia and the English speaking Caribbean countries have had reasonable successes, but most countries whose main language(s) are not English seem to struggle, if not in producing music at least in marketing it here (one ore two notable groups excepted). So, what are we missing out on? What great songs are there from places that haven't been named above?

Comments

• Je vais encore dormir tout seul ce soir - Elmer Food Beat (France)
    • Wild Wild Summer - Flipper's Guitar (Japan)
    • No Good - Kaleo (Iceland) [Feels like cheating as they sound more American than most American acts]
    • Anything by Kraftwerk, Can, Neu!, Holgar Czukay (Love German Music)
  • Jean Michel Jarre - French keyboard warrior  
  • edited May 20
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unYu22Ign1E

The greatest clip of French tele in history.
  • edited May 20
    From Australia but certainly not anglicised.
    Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu - especially his second album 'Rrakala'.
    Incredible talent, taken far too young.

• I'd say Latin American/Spanish:

By artist: Buena Vista Social Club, Ricky Martin, Shakira, Daddy Yankee, Tito Puente, Enrique Iglesias, Santana

By type: Salsa, Samba, Tango, Cha Cha Cha, Son

By song: La Bamba (Mexican version), The Ketchup Song, Guantanamera, El Cóndor Pasa (Peruvian version)

• Ignea, Ukrainian rock band. Anglicised ?
  • Sympathique by Pink Martini is one that stands out for me.

Most reggaeton/Latin trap stuff like Danza Kuduro, Oy Mi Canto, Bailemos, Loco Contigo are also incredibly popular, and one of the most popular artists in the world right now is Bad Bunny

• Sólstafir from Iceland if youmlike your metal
  • edited May 21
    Can't believe nobody has mentioned this all time greatest stadium rock anthem -

https://youtu.be/Ulay2FvUEd8?si=B7gjX0e5MZ7Yo-IO
  • Sponsored links:

• Non anglicised artists I’m listening to at the moment include
    Camille- French vocalist I really like her album Oui
    Lhasa- Brilliant Canadian French Artist sadly departed.
    DakhaBraka- Great Ukrainian Band
    Blick Bassey - Great Cameroon Artist
  • Youssou N’Dour

More or less everything, but perhaps start with Leaving, the first track from the album Wommat.
  • Good question, but what about songs by non-italicised artists?

By artist: Buena Vista Social Club, Ricky Martin, Shakira, Daddy Yankee, Tito Puente, Enrique Iglesias, Santana

By song: La Bamba (Mexican version), The Ketchup Song, Guantanamera, El Cóndor Pasa (Peruvian version)

Did you know... Richie Valens couldn't speak Spanish, he learned his version of La Bamba phonetically. 

Some of Johnny Halliday's French Rock n Roll is pretty good. At one of the Spanish weekenders we go to there's always a session when the DJs play only Spanish language Rock n Roll and Rockabilly. Some decent stuff there.   
  • edited May 21

Did you know... Richie Valens couldn't speak Spanish, he learned his version of La Bamba phonetically. 

Some of Johnny Halliday's French Rock n Roll is pretty good. At one of the Spanish weekenders we go to there's always a session when the DJs play only Spanish language Rock n Roll and Rockabilly. Some decent stuff there.   
    That sounds like a moment when Shazam (an app that can identify a song you’re hearing if you don’t know the name/artist) would come in handy! 
  • Plastic Bertrand, a giant of popular music.

• Barbara

French singer. Her single L'Aigle noir sold over a million copies within 12 hours.
    The album of the same name is a favourite of mine. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4heMfS5jTxY
  • se9addick said:
    I'd say Latin American/Spanish:

That sounds like a moment when Shazam (an app that can identify a song you’re hearing if you don’t know the name/artist) would come in handy! 
    The DJs do announce what they are playing, but it would be interesting to see if Shazam could identify them - some of the English language stuff I listen to it doesn't recognise from time to time, as it is so obscure.  
  • I've always liked the French duo Air. But not sure they count as they often blend French and English lyrics.
    Same could be said for Carlos Santana, I suppose and his Latin rock with Spanish vocals.
    Actually I think the Mexican rock scene is quite vibrant but it doesn't really cross the Atlantic.
    I think I've got a Mexican band in my album collection but I can't remember their name. Lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Asif Avidan and the Mojos - The Reckoning 

Israeli singer/band. Really good album but it's sung in English. became the biggest selling album in Israel. 
    Its title track was remixed by German DJ Wankelmut (what a name) and became a huge hit across Europe. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRAMNWzfjcg

• Non English speaking singers obviously have an inherent disadvantage.  Because, as we know, all the best songs ever have been sung in English, without exception. 

So, if you're from a non English speaking nation, you have three options.  First, you could learn English, thereby giving you a distinct, unfair advantage over your compatriots.  Second, you could carve out a niche in your own language and hope you can compete, profitably, with all the other dross.  Third, you could follow the brilliant example of Italian star Adriano Celantano.  (If you think you haven't heard of him, you have: he's in Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 3, sandwiched between John Coltrane's soprano and Bonar Colleano).  

What Celentano did was to create a song - "Prisencolinensinainciusol" - that, to his Italian audience sounded like it was in English.  But was, in fact, utter gibberish.  

https://youtu.be/RpFhFV58FEs?si=utchIWiKa3orFFuX 
  • Listen to quite a bit. 
    Currently a lot of The Gloaming who often sing in Irish
    One of my favourite albums is Mlah by Les Négresses Vertes. Partial to a bit of Mano Negra as well. 
    Gurrumul was fantastic, saw him once amazing voice. 
    Salif Keita could sing the phone directory and it would still sound awesome
    Really rate Garmarna (Swedish 90s folk punk band)
    Got into music in the 80s so township jive, jit (think Bhundu Boys) and rai were all on my radar and still go back to some of it (annoyingly a lot isn't on spotify)

And don't mind a bit of cajun either. 
  • you've all forgotten Sweden, the monsters ABBA and quite a few top rock bands and very successful producers/song writers, although they all use English as their main lingo
  • cafcfan said:
    I've always liked the French duo Air. But not sure they count as they often blend French and English lyrics.
    Same could be said for Carlos Santana, I suppose and his Latin rock with Spanish vocals.
    Actually I think the Mexican rock scene is quite vibrant but it doesn't really cross the Atlantic.
    I think I've got a Mexican band in my album collection but I can't remember their name. Lol.
    Mana are an excellent Mexican band. They also did a very good song with Carlos Santana "Corazon Espinado".
  • Voyage, Voyage by Desireless.
  • One of my favourite genres is folk metal and there's a rich seam of bands that don't sing in English (some may do a mix of English and native language songs, others just the occasional e.g. a cover)

Finland: Moonsorrow, Finntroll (although they sing in Swedish), Korpiklaani
    Sweden: Månegarm
    Denmark: Svartsot
    Netherlands: Heidevolk
    Germany: Falkenbach, Finsterforst, Black Messiah (some English, some German), Equilibrium
    Iceland: Skálmöld
    Faroe Islands: Týr
    Ireland: Cruachan (a few of their older tracks are in Gaelic but most in English)
    Estonia: Metsatöll
    Russia: Leshak, Arkona
    Switzerland: Eluveitie

The Norwegian contribution is more black metal but with some folky leanings: Windir, Kampfar.

Another band from the Faroes is Hamferð - nothing to do with folk metal but a funereal-death-doom metal combo ... so unlikely to make the Radio 1 Breakfast Show playlist!

Rammstein has already been mentioned earlier in the thread (rarely sing in anything other than German).
  • Super Furry Animals released Mwng in the year 2000. It went on to become the biggest selling Welsh language record in history, reaching 11 in album charts.

The melodies are rather good, i think it's one of their best records.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cttikLIQnMg
  • Falco. Seriously. I remember Annie Nightingale explaining his ability to sing to a very challenging musical time. Certainly the only 'rapper" I listen to.

Mind you, he is literally Austria's only noteworthy contribution to rock music.🤣

There are some Czech bands I like and a cadre of older musicians of genuine talent, but very much for the home market only, and they seem to be quite happy that way. 
  • edited May 21
    For those who don’t remember too much of the late 80s
    Classic Ibiza tune

https://youtu.be/w3rVOhK9IE8?si=cXq-x9qdBlv5ENNk