Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nathan Jones at Stoke - avoid the same mistakes?

2»

Comments

• Options
    i gave an opinion.
    You disagree.
  • Options
    Diplomatic answer from Bob 
    let’s face it he’s a crank of the up and at em mould 
    how far can it get you next season will show

he does shit =he wasn’t backed 
    he does well= he’s the messiah

• Options
    Diplomatic answer from Bob 
    let’s face it he’s a crank of the up and at em mould 
    how far can it get you next season will show

he does shit =he wasn’t backed 
    he does well= he’s the messiah

You would expect nothing less!

• Options
    My fear is that he is backed and does shit. I'm concerned he maybe a bit of a divisive character.
  • Options
    My fear is that he is backed and does shit. I'm concerned he maybe a bit of a divisive character.
    I think he has players that “get him”. Anyone else is up the road. 
  • Options
    I think the problem will be managing expectations. With Luton he had less pressure to do well. Here, we currently have a midtable league one squad. He will have to make signings to change that but taking a team from 16th to the top 6 in one season is a massive feat, yet people will accept nothing less and start to turn if that isn't looking likely. 

I'd like to see him given time regardless of how we start next season. I don't know what to expect for next season but I do believe if you give Nathan 3 years, he will get us out this league. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    follett said:
    I think the problem will be managing expectations. With Luton he had less pressure to do well. Here, we currently have a midtable league one squad. He will have to make signings to change that but taking a team from 16th to the top 6 in one season is a massive feat, yet people will accept nothing less and start to turn if that isn't looking likely. 

I'd like to see him given time regardless of how we start next season. I don't know what to expect for next season but I do believe if you give Nathan 3 years, he will get us out this league. 
    Oxford managed it, why can’t we
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    There are no parallels with Stoke.  As someone else said, his success or otherwise will be dictated by whether we get the 6 or so players we need to improve the team.  
    6!!!! More like 14 lol
  • Options
    I have not been impressed with Jones management, but by avoiding relegation and with his recent media interviews I am having a change of attitude towards him and the apparent backing of our owners.

but

I am a one team supporter and know little of the playing systems of other teams. While I know of Luton's success I do not understand how much  Jones's management played in that success and what type of football he used at Luton to achieve success.

So when the more football enlightened of you talk of Jones, his success at Luton and how he will transform our team I do not fully understand and would be grateful of some education on Jones's football management philosophy.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    From the time of Jones' appointment, the question was whether he would be Luton Nathan Jones, or Stoke/Southampton Nathan Jones. In short, he has the potential to be very, very successful at this level, or for things to fall apart horribly. 

A lot of the earlier posts on this thread were about Wycombe, and I only saw the first half so can't really comment. But in general, Jones came in to a side with some quality but desperately lacking a cohesive gameplan and confidence. He gave them a lot of both. However, after that initial surge, performances and results started to taper off. 

Not all of that is on Jones. Some of it was the team being more cautious with injuries, and I'm sure playing players with an eye on next year (especially those with expiring deals). But it did feel like teams started to work us out. The lump it into the channels for May and Kanu to chase became far less effective, especially against weaker sides content to sit deeper and not allow space in behind. We oftentimes looked awkward in possession and taking the game to teams, preferring to look to play in transition instead. And the defense looked better, but still fragile.

This, for me, is where Jones will need to "kick on." There's a lot of talk this summer, as there has been for the last few, about a squad clearout. I think we saw the beginning of that with the retained list. But there are still a lot of players on the books who I'm not convinced by, and as I said on the other thread, many of them have come in in the last year. We don't just need players, we need significant upgrades on players, some of whom cost fees and/or are on significant wages. And that isn't easy to do at our level. 

Over the summer we are either going to see a new 11 brought in, or Jones evolving the way his side plays, or possibly both. If you look at the players we have in midfield, for example, it doesn't make sense to have Coventry, Taylor, Anderson, McGrandles, and Fraser (I don't expect all five to be here at the start of the season, but still) only to bypass the midfield and put the ball in the channels. There is quality there, there's no doubt of that. But it's a midfield built to keep the ball and break sides down with clever passing, not simply to play a sort of up and at em style where they focus on winning headers and second balls. And either way, it needs some size and steel. 

Same could be said for Kanu, May, Aneke, Campbell, and Leaburn up front (again, expecting some changes/reinforcements here). All can be useful on longer balls, but all are better footballers than they are target men, with maybe the exception of Kanu who isn't a target man but is an agent of chaos (which can be very useful, but whom you can't really build a side around). 

So yes, transfers will be key. And with Jones, "buy in" seems to be one of the biggest factors. It seems he's going to be backed in this window. It seems he will have a heavy say in who gets brought in. I think it's now down to whether or not he's as good as most of us hope he is. It's his fifth stint as a manager, two good, two bad so far. This job feels like a "tie breaker" for him in many ways.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    I think he has players that “get him”. Anyone else is up the road. 
    He seems like the kind of guy who you would describe as either the best coach you had... or the worst, with very little in between.

If it "clicks" and you buy in, you'll find him supportive and encouraging and learn a fair amount too probably. If it doesn't he's just a shouty little man with a funny accent and you're probably going to end up out in the metaphorical cold.

Which is why we need him to be involved in recruitment as he needs buy in from players and no black box or algorithm will really finds that.
    exactly my thoughts on him.....he'll be marmite amongst the players I'm sure, therefore imperative he gets final say in recruitment - and I'm sure he negotiated that when he agreed to join
  • Options
    Said all along we just need to hope we’ve got Luton Jones.
  • Options
    Said all along we just need to hope we’ve got Luton Jones.

Milton Jones would be a laugh at least!

Comedian Milton Jones on his James Bond inspired show at Scarborough Spa

• Options
    ask a serious question and get a stupid answer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Was Wycombe away a meh performance, or two fingers to the superb fans who made the effort?
    A meh performance by two teams with zip to play for and certainly in Charltons case a good few knowing that it was their last performance in a Charlton shirt. Certainly no two fingers to the travelling fans and I can’t see any way on earth you could think it was.
    Any way on earth?
    Really?
    I watched it all and whilst doing so I could hear our fans getting behind the team.
    The players hardly gave a damn.
    If you think the players did a purposeful “fuck you” to the fans then it’s even by your standards one of your weirdest posts. It was a typically flat performance by two poor teams with nothing to play for and already on a beach somewhere. It would have been replicated in many games.
    You’re welcome to read the match thread, the post match thread and look at the player marks if you like.
    If you believe my take is so weirdly out of kilter with what others are saying or said then fine.
    I certainly think that when fans spend on tickets and travel and sell out and sing, in what was potentially a match where the unbeaten run could’ve been sustained, and a good performance could’ve been a nice pointer towards the future, and encouraged ticket sales and a general feel good factor, that the players and management team could have made much more effort.
    I watched and felt that the players took the support for granted and played like they couldn’t really care less, and Jones put out an appalling team, and did appalling substitutions.
    Yeah I know, another weird post from me as the only fan who feels let down and insulted by the performance on Saturday.
    Can’t disagree with that. However, I think that you are a bit naive in thinking that today’s modern footballer relates to the fans at all. Some of these players wouldn’t bust a gut even if I were to fly from the moon and only had one month to live!

They certainly wouldn’t care that my 9 year old daughter was at her first match, and my son at his first match since the 2019  play off final,  and might both have fallen asleep if I hadn’t engaged in conversation with those around me.

The exceptions to this are Dobson and May which is why they are so loved by the fans, and why Dobson got such a great send-off.