Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nathan Jones at Stoke - avoid the same mistakes?

Just saw a Stoke fan talking about how many draws Jones had with them in his first half season. 

They expected to kick on in the summer but it fell apart and he was gone by November after losing 10 of the first 14 games.

Stoke Jan 2019-May 2019: W3 D11 L6

Charlton Feb 2024-Apr 2024: W4 D10 L2

Given how unstable this club has been over recent years I’ve still got doubts about how this summer will end up and this stat isn’t helping!

How do we avoid the same fate? What lessons will Jones have learned from that experience?

Comments

• Options
    Was Wycombe away a meh performance, or two fingers to the superb fans who made the effort?
  • Options
    The board has been generous so far, no signs of a change (yet) , so it looks good for NJ.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Was Wycombe away a meh performance, or two fingers to the superb fans who made the effort?
    Just a sub-standard end of season performance by 2 teams with nothing to play for. 

I think if we scored first, we would probably have won as Wycombe weren't exactly busting a gut. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Just a sub-standard end of season performance by 2 teams with nothing to play for. 

I think if we scored first, we would probably have won as Wycombe weren't exactly busting a gut. 
    Maybe they could’ve played for the Charlton fans who were there.
    Instead Nathan Jones made them suffer watching Lua Lua Land.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    A meh performance by two teams with zip to play for and certainly in Charltons case a good few knowing that it was their last performance in a Charlton shirt. Certainly no two fingers to the travelling fans and I can’t see any way on earth you could think it was.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    A meh performance by two teams with zip to play for and certainly in Charltons case a good few knowing that it was their last performance in a Charlton shirt. Certainly no two fingers to the travelling fans and I can’t see any way on earth you could think it was.
    Any way on earth?
    Really?
    I watched it all and whilst doing so I could hear our fans getting behind the team.
    The players hardly gave a damn.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    so predictable, one meh performance in a dead rubber and it's all panic all the time, this, that he didn't blow enough smoke up Alfie in a post match etc etc 

I dont think Callum is reacting to Wycombe.... I think he is just asking a question. The answer may well be that the same thing wont happen, but second season syndrome for a new manager is a pretty common consideration, and not just NJ. The spanners will be saying the same about Harris.
  • Options
    Now if only we had someone on here who had the inside line on what happened at Stoke. Like their now retired HR Director for example. 

If I remember correctly Mr. Munro was not in favour of Nathans appointment. 

• Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Any way on earth?
    Really?
    I watched it all and whilst doing so I could hear our fans getting behind the team.
    The players hardly gave a damn.
    If you think the players did a purposeful “fuck you” to the fans then it’s even by your standards one of your weirdest posts. It was a typically flat performance by two poor teams with nothing to play for and already on a beach somewhere. It would have been replicated in many games.
    You’re welcome to read the match thread, the post match thread and look at the player marks if you like.
    If you believe my take is so weirdly out of kilter with what others are saying or said then fine.
    I certainly think that when fans spend on tickets and travel and sell out and sing, in what was potentially a match where the unbeaten run could’ve been sustained, and a good performance could’ve been a nice pointer towards the future, and encouraged ticket sales and a general feel good factor, that the players and management team could have made much more effort.
    I watched and felt that the players took the support for granted and played like they couldn’t really care less, and Jones put out an appalling team, and did appalling substitutions.
    Yeah I know, another weird post from me as the only fan who feels let down and insulted by the performance on Saturday.
  • Options
    Now if only we had someone on here who had the inside line on what happened at Stoke. Like their now retired HR Director for example. 

If I remember correctly Mr. Munro was not in favour of Nathans appointment. 

Exactly @bobmunro his silence is deafening and scares me re our fruitbat manager 
  • Options
    There are no parallels with Stoke.  As someone else said, his success or otherwise will be dictated by whether we get the 6 or so players we need to improve the team.  
  • Options
    Yes there is certainly a difference between playing badly ‘on purpose’ and determinedly and purposefully trying to play well. Something I didn’t see on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm pretty sure as wank as Stoke have been the owners have backed each and every shit manager they've had 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You take it as a 2 finger salute because you are desperate to be victimised.
    The rest of us understand it was because it was the last game of the season and meaningless and many of the players will now be released.

Boy do you need help.
    Please stop trying to drag so many threads into making it all about you.
    People, including me, took that performance in a number of ways.
    Your implication is that you speak for everyone except me.
    I have not attempted to drag this thread in any direction.
  • Options
    DFTT
    DFTT
    DFTT
    DFTT
    DFTT
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    You take it as a 2 finger salute because you are desperate to be victimised.
    The rest of us understand it was because it was the last game of the season and meaningless and many of the players will now be released.

Boy do you need help.
    Please stop trying to drag so many threads into making it all about you.
    People, including me, took that performance in a number of ways.
    Your implication is that you speak for everyone except me.
    I have not attempted to drag this thread in any direction.
    In the past, for many seasons I'd go to 85% of the games, end of season games bring out performances akin to a pre-season friendly, it's how it is for virtually all teams with zero to play for.
    If I'd gone Saturday I'd have shrugged my shoulders and buggered off before the end and gone for a drink.
    Players are not giving a f*** for fans, it's a job.
    I'm not criticising you here btw @seth plum

• Options
    edited April 29
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    so predictable, one meh performance in a dead rubber and it's all panic all the time, this, that he didn't blow enough smoke up Alfie in a post match etc etc 
    Was it 1? Was quite a number of meh performances in the last two months of the season. 

Either way, I think Jones will do well if backed appropriately with good signings. Less good if that doesn't happen. 
  • Options
    In the pre match interview Jones did not imply that the game was a dead rubber, or an experiment. Quite the reverse actually.
    He actually said 'We've gotta make sure we're at it.' And more.
    If you're able to access his pre Wycombe interview he talks about the game from about three minutes in.