Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie

Comments

• Options
    Says a lot. 

His ownership has led us to the lowest position in a century. 

Now is the time for apologies and accepting of mistakes, not more false promises. Had it all last summer. 
  • Options
    Says a lot. 

His ownership has led us to the lowest position in a century. 

Now is the time for apologies and accepting of mistakes, not more false promises. Had it all last summer. 
    Rumours were there were disagreements between Scott and Methven. 

We need a simple management structure from Jones to the actual owners and purse strings. 
  • Options
    edited April 23
    I would like to think that by now, everyone down to Doris the Tea Lady is on script with the following.

1) Players that need "fucking off" pronto 30 secounds after extra time on Saturday.
    2) Target replacements, identified, prioritisd, and actively being "felt up".
    3) Suitable wedge in place to finance the above larceny.

If not, Charlie Farley and his purple trousers can do one.
  • Options
    About two thirds of the way through, when Charlotte asks him about club growth off the pitch.

His response is actually interesting, aside from using the word “circularity”, he says that it’s obvious to everyone that the club is going to have to perform on the pitch to see any meaningful growth off the pitch.

But nonetheless that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t try otherwise “you might as well make the manager the marketing director … but that would do the rest of us out of a job”.

Saying the quiet part out loud perhaps?

• Options
    edited April 23
    Chunes said:
    Thought he came across pretty well to be fair not sure what else he was supposed to have said in regards to those picking at his words.
    Some acknowledgement that they have just overseen the worst season in 98 years.
    This.

I've not listened to the interview, so appreciate the recaps. But it should be easy and necessary to acknowledge that this season was not just a failure, but a disaster at times. Any sensible heads of an organization that has just had a downturn should be sitting down and identifying what went wrong. He can talk about transfer outlays all he wants, personally my concern isn't with how much was spent on transfer fees, but how it was spent. Were players brought in that were an upgrade on what they inherited? And when you look at the signings this group has made since joining, the answer is still: I really don't know. (Note: apparently he did do at least some of this)

It's really not hard to say "this season didn't go well, we have identified some issues, we have learned, we will be better and smarter going forward." It's a lot easier to say that than it is to actually do it. 

With the talk of keeping the academy or not, keeping the women's team or not, to me that's an augur that cost cutting is on the way. To me, the question has always been how and when it would happened and not if. And some of that goes back to the larger systemic problem within the game, particularly the lower leagues, in which rich people don't want to just pour 10m into something every year that they can't drive, sail, snort, or live in. 

I do think this group has grand ambitions. I think TS had grand ambitions. What I don't know is: do they realize how much it is going to cost, both in the short term, and for as long as they run this club? And: do they have the skillset to match those ambitions?

My initial guess is no to the former--there is no break even in L1. There is no break even in the Championship. And as for the second, the first two managerial hires were bad, the third is quite good at least on paper. The transfer dealings have not been great (it's still early for some though). And as far as building out infrastructure, it's really hard to gauge those things from the outside looking in.

I think this ownership group is better than the last. And not all of the problems this season were their doing. But neither of those things makes them great at what they do. 
  • Options
    In the interview he breaks the season down into four ‘quarters’. I think he said bad then good then bad then good.
  • Options
    edited April 23
    seth plum said:
    In the interview he breaks the season down into four ‘quarters’. I think he said bad then good then bad then good.
    Ah ok, thanks Seth, again, I hope they learned from the "bad"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 23
    seth plum said:
    Bad pre season and start to the season. Good first games under Appleton. Bad losing a tring of games under Appleton.. Good under Jones.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Chunes said:
    Thought he came across pretty well to be fair not sure what else he was supposed to have said in regards to those picking at his words.

With the talk of keeping the academy or not, keeping the women's team or not, to me that's an augur that cost cutting is on the way. 
    He didn't actually say anything about cutting the academy (exactly the opposite several times) or the women's team. The WSL and Championship have been put under the control of a "Newco" free of the FA. It is supposed to bring in more TV money and sposnsorship. He said they are waiting for details but the women's team needs to earn its keep.
  • Options
    Charlie is a good speaker, he’s a good articulator of words, he could sell oil to the Arabs, and tea to the Chinese, you get my drift.

But can he sell season tickets at the valley?
  • Options
    edited April 24
    Crusty54 said:
    SDAddick said:
    Chunes said:

With the talk of keeping the academy or not, keeping the women's team or not, to me that's an augur that cost cutting is on the way. 
    He didn't actually say anything about cutting the academy (exactly the opposite several times) or the women's team. The WSL and Championship have been put under the control of a "Newco" free of the FA. It is supposed to bring in more TV money and sposnsorship. He said they are waiting for details but the women's team needs to earn its keep.
    Agreed and he stressed that we are the only League 1 club that have a full time women’s team and at a considerable cost it must be said.
     As such they will be watching to see how the women’s game progresses and what kind of backing, TV money, sponsorship, advertising etc will bring in. Without knowing that, it’s difficult to know what’s going to be expected for the game in general and clubs involved.
    There was also an assurance that the academy will continue to be fully supported in every way possible.
  • Options
    edited April 23
    Support 
    Recognises the passion and honesty of the fanbase (his way of saying he's got some stick from us) but also recognises the fact that our crowds don't reflect the area and aren't very diverse. Community engagement, a new fan zone, better brand identity, better food offerings, better social media, better outreach all mentioned as things we are going to improve.”

I’ve thought this for years. Our crowds don’t really reflect the modern demographics of the neighborhood we’re located in. We must leave so much money on the table by not seemingly being able to connect better with locals in Charlton/RBG/South East London. 
  • Options
    Overall he spoke well and said what I'd expect a good owner to say. The one area I felt he went into bollocks-speak was talking about Jones the leader, the importance of leadership, the criticality of having someone who inspires. It just led me to say...
    'Why the f*** did you hire Apples then?!"

Otherwise it was good to hear someone with some business awareness not reeling off a bunch of clichés.
  • Options
    Worryingly he said that the new season recruitment started in January & that there will not be wholesale clear out (my words) in the summer. Listen to it clearly - those players brought in that have been part of the crap football we've seen over the last 3 months will be here next season. There will be new signings & he wants it done before pre-season (yay) but from the sounds of it there wont be the 8+ new bodies we need.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    I’m waiting for Andy Scott to come out and own that. He said at the start of the season that nothing less than a play off finish was acceptable. The ball is in his court.
  • Options
    As the Earl of Cardigan famously said “Just win games”
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Overall he spoke well and said what I'd expect a good owner to say. The one area I felt he went into bollocks-speak was talking about Jones the leader, the importance of leadership, the criticality of having someone who inspires. It just led me to say...
    'Why the f*** did you hire Apples then?!"

Otherwise it was good to hear someone with some business awareness not reeling off a bunch of clichés.
    as he said Jones wasn't available at the time.
  • Options
    Methven speaks complete sense, unlike Sandgaard, Southall and Duchatelet.
    There's little more he can say in my opinion.
    Let's hope Charlton fans back the team and owners by buying a Season Ticket if possible and if it's makes sense for the individuals. If they can't buy a S/T let's hope the fans turn up as often as they can.
    We've no chance of reaching and remaining in The Championship without the fans support both vocal and financial. 
    This is the bottom line as far as we're concerned.

I think there is a purpose to Methven saying all this. He's given us a standard to live up to. Falling short will be unacceptable. One thing: I hope the women's team isn't dropped or severely defunded. Probably depends on cashflow, which probably depends on numbers. Show yerselves
  • Options
    Can i say CM seems like someone id like to spend time with ? No, I can't but worth noting the shambles he took over. Regardless of where we finished I do feel we are in better hands with this lot than Tommy good time, especially the last season under TS.

I do get the feeling that some Charlton fans wouldn't be happy unless our owners were either Peter Varney or a Billionaire Charlton fan who splashes the cash but is also in touch with working man who only charges fiver a game yet we still break even and is sensible with the club budget.
    I get the feeling Charlton fans would be happy with a winning team and promotion back to the championship. 
    If that was to happen most Charlton fans wouldn't give a toss who the actual owners were. 
    We have a winner.

i don’t think this summary can be bettered 
  • Options
    Can i say CM seems like someone id like to spend time with ? No, I can't but worth noting the shambles he took over. Regardless of where we finished I do feel we are in better hands with this lot than Tommy good time, especially the last season under TS.

I do get the feeling that some Charlton fans wouldn't be happy unless our owners were either Peter Varney or a Billionaire Charlton fan who splashes the cash but is also in touch with working man who only charges fiver a game yet we still break even and is sensible with the club budget.
    I get the feeling Charlton fans would be happy with a winning team and promotion back to the championship. 
    If that was to happen most Charlton fans wouldn't give a toss who the actual owners were. 
    Or what they have to say... One of the reasons Roland was hated was the fact we didn't hear from him, he didn't care about us, he never bothered coming to watch our games. 

Owners since then (Im ignoring ESI) have done all three things, but the Football hasn't improved, so our relationship hasn't been brilliant with any of them still