Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie

Is on Talksport now talking about The FA Cup.

Comments

• Options
    cfgs said:

Kirk? and his performance in the Cray Valley replay i hope.
  • Options
    If he's talking about Charlton and the FA Cup it must be Charlie Cairoli.
  • Options
    this might upset you. Manager decides on the squad.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/video/player/0_8fmdpwo1
  • Options
    He said all the women’s games will be at the Valley.
  • Options
    He said nine players were recruited in January, but he didn’t say if any of them cost anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    He said all the women’s games will be at the Valley.
    "The hope and belief is they'll play all games at the Valley"
  • Options
    Spoke well about the DNA in terms of the academy and the community, and the sense that the club has roots and tentacles.
    I hope he means it in terms of the Academy, because he is right in recognising it as one of our strengths, and it needs support which I hope is ongoing.
  • Options
    edited April 23
    sam3110 said:
    seth plum said:
    He said nine players were recruited in January, but he didn’t say if any of them cost anything.
    He said it was significant investment and unbudgeted funding, which is PR speak for cost is more than we wanted it to, which suggests fees involved. Ramsay, REG and Coventry definitely all cost money 
    I was told at the Shrewsbury game that Coventry was a free transfer. I don’t know about REG or Ramsay.
    Of course all incoming transfers mean a spend of some kind, but I am not sure if West Ham United got any money, maybe it means none initially and money comes into it if Coventry is sold.
  • Options

As a speaker he is plausible and persuasive.
    One thing he repeated is to be judged on results, which is something I suspect everybody would agree with.
  • Options
    edited April 23
    cfgs said:
    Discussion starts at about 8.10
     https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1713862800/1713864600/

Part 2
    https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1713862800/1713866400/

• Options
    Very interesting interview on the OS website. Promotion is defo the goal next season and the owners seem to be bought into it!
    He comes across very well and sounds very enthusiastic. This summer could prove to be very insightful as to where the owners see us going. Are they going to try and get us promoted on the 'cheap', or really push the boat out and go for it with the 25/26 season also in mind?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't have much time for him when watching the Sunderland series on Netflix, but now think he talks a lot of sense! ;)
  • Options
    Good speaker 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    sam3110 said:
    seth plum said:
    He said it was significant investment and unbudgeted funding, which is PR speak for cost is more than we wanted it to, which suggests fees involved. Ramsay, REG and Coventry definitely all cost money 
    I was told at the Shrewsbury game that Coventry was a free transfer. I don’t know about REG or Ramsay.
    Of course all incoming transfers mean a spend of some kind, but I am not sure if West Ham United got any money, maybe it means none initially and money comes into it if Coventry is sold.
    Coventry was on a free, this was confirmed. West Ham have a substantial sell on fee from him though.

Gillesphey was a very small fee according to a lot of Plymouth fans. 

No idea on REG & Ramsay, but considering REG was someone Huddersfield wanted rid of in a relegation season, and Ramsay being signed from Harrogate, I can't imagine the grand total for all 3 was anymore than 200-300k. Pure speculation of course on the final two players.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    sam3110 said:
    seth plum said:
    Coventry was on a free, this was confirmed. West Ham have a substantial sell on fee from him though.

No idea on REG & Ramsay, but considering REG was someone Huddersfield wanted rid of in a relegation season, and Ramsay being signed from Harrogate, I can't imagine the grand total for all 3 was anymore than 200-300k. Pure speculation of course on the final two players.
    seth plum said:
    sam3110 said:
    seth plum said:

Maybe it is a zero sum game given the CBT transfer.
    Our (very good) Charlotte didn’t ask the salmon trousered Oxford fan about January in much detail :)
  • Options
    Charlie says a lot but really there isn't much there to cheer me up. He says things most fans would expect him to say. When I listen to what he would like and what we all know has happened on a regular basis over the best part of 20 years I have difficulty taking him anymore seriously than the others that preceded him.  I'm going to judge him on performance rather than how well he speaks or what are his views on various parts of our club. So far he is not as good as he was at Sunderland, at least they were on Netflix. 
    We're on course for our worse finish for the best part of 100 years, something we should achieve this coming weekend. 
    As ever I look forward to next season and hope it cant be worse than the last. But the reality is things are worse and they can certainly get worse. We don't own a ground, a training ground and the playing squad is somewhat short of quality to achieve a top six finish. The academy, women's team and  our support will suffer if the 1st team continue in a downward slide season on season, hopefully Nathen Jones can reverse this trend. Thus far he has been an improvement on the other managers we've had this season. Nice to here the actual owners are going to be invested emotionally too, who'd of thought that would occur to them. 

• Options
    Watched the whole thing and personally, I'd like my 28 minutes back. He just says a lot without actually saying anything. I believe he speaks well, and he's very brushed up on the English language, but that doesn't mean you have the quality to run a football club, or that Charlton Athletic will be promoted because you speak with a hint of elegance with most sentences.

He's pandered to Charlton fans by highlighting the things we are all very aware of, such as being a community club, having a great academy etc. I'm personally not going to award him any brownie points for saying what the average football fan would think about us as a club. These are easy words to feed to an interviewer.

All that matters is strengthening this very weak squad, and then hopefully, winning football games, anything else said is bollocks. Give our Welsh Wizard money Charlie and friends, that is quite literally the only thing that will turn Charlton Athletic around. All the rest is PR bollocks.
    Completely agree, it's just PR. It's easy to say what the fans want to hear. He's not exactly going to say anything negative on a club release. 
  • Options
    Very good interview but it’s what we’ve heard before from previous owners. Like Charlie said, action speaks louder than words.

Like what the owners have done so far but this window is make or break.
  • Options
    edited April 23
    About two thirds of the way through, when Charlotte asks him about club growth off the pitch.

His response is actually interesting, aside from using the word “circularity”, he says that it’s obvious to everyone that the club is going to have to perform on the pitch to see any meaningful growth off the pitch.

But nonetheless that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t try otherwise “you might as well make the manager the marketing director … but that would do the rest of us out of a job”.

Saying the quiet part out loud perhaps?