Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA Cup replays scrapped

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    iaitch said:
    Now that FA Cup replays have gone that's one less thing for the big clubs to moan about. I suspect that shortly (within the next couple of years) they will turn their attention to pushing to scrap the league cup.
    League Cup is the EFL Cup so should only be open to EFL clubs. Throw out the Premier League clubs and see how they will complain about it.

Also these one off games, will they have extra time or go straight to penalties?
    Most would be happy 
    Until they fail to get into Europe any other way.
  • You wonder who the FA actually spoke to when they made this decision, if the EFL had no say, never mind the non league bodies.
  • Better solution, to meet the requirements of Premier League teams to reduce additional matches:   

1. If Premier League teams are drawn against each other, the match goes ahead with 90 minutes, followed by extra time if required, followed by penalties if required.  

2. If non-Premier League teams are drawn against each other, one replay is played if the first game ends level.  This potentially provides additional income to teams outside the Premier League.  

3. Where a Premier League club is drawn against a lower-league team, if the scores are level after 90 minutes, the lower league team goes through.  

That way the Premier League team is prevented from the debilitating, unfair requirement that the most expensively-assembled, fittest set of footballers in the country should be required to play another game of football.  And if it means they go out to a fluky 1-1 draw at Middlesbrough, Morecambe or Maidstone, then it's tough titty. 
  • You wonder who the FA actually spoke to when they made this decision, if the EFL had no say, never mind the non league bodies.

Members of the EFL board on the panel, including Parry and Steve Kavanagh. 
  • Funny how fatigue and fixture congestion never seems an issue when all these big clubs jet off all over the world for pointless pre-season friendlies. I assume they are being scrapped as well?

This is a disgraceful decision. I'm not sure the regulator is the solution but decision making needs to be taken out the hands of the few select clubs who think they run football. They have proven time and time again they have no interest in anything other than serving their own self interests 
    I think Grimsby will have played more games this season than Man U, yet not heard a peep from them about fixture congestion.
  • All the TV, Betting companies want is Utd vs City FA Cup final, Chelsea vs Spurs League Cup Final . We.have seen how the draws are manipulated, look how we had a midweek trip to Manchester rather then the chance of getting Utd to the Valley.  I know we were in the League cup for that fixture. 
    SKY, has royally £!ck football for the fans that support the lesser teams 
    And as a further kick in the nadgers (for those of us unable to attend) it was the first Man Utd cup tie NOT shown live on TV for about 50 years ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Far too many teams in the champions league resulting far too many games. 
    I understand the reason why so many clubs are now in the champions league, Money Money and Money. 
    Reduce the number of games in the champions league and allow clubs who are in it to not have to compete in the league Cup. 
    agree, but the champions league is increasing in size next year with more teams. 
  • Stig said:
    Lots of posters are coming up with imaginative alternative formats. On the surface I've liked all of them but there's something that troubles be about all of them; they all include some form of disparity. Every team in every round should be playing under the same conditions as the other. There's enough inequality in football with some teams having massive budgets and resources whilst others have to function on a shoestring. We shouldn't be looking to introduce other inequalities through the format of our cup competitions. If there is a fixture congestion problem then the solution is quite simple, cut out the meaningless friendlies. 
    And reduce UEFA knockout stages to one match. 
  • Any comment coming from the club on this?
  • All the TV, Betting companies want is Utd vs City FA Cup final, Chelsea vs Spurs League Cup Final . We.have seen how the draws are manipulated, look how we had a midweek trip to Manchester rather then the chance of getting Utd to the Valley.  I know we were in the League cup for that fixture. 
    Cool story - Can you tell me how the draws are manipulated please

or just post a link with this evidence 
  • MrOneLung said:
    All the TV, Betting companies want is Utd vs City FA Cup final, Chelsea vs Spurs League Cup Final . We.have seen how the draws are manipulated, look how we had a midweek trip to Manchester rather then the chance of getting Utd to the Valley.  I know we were in the League cup for that fixture. 
    Cool story - Can you tell me how the draws are manipulated please

or just post a link with this evidence 
    Trevor Brooking does it by telekinesis, obvs. Not sure how you can prove it though.
  • PWR all the comments but I suspect the PL hasn’t necessarily fully thought this through. I doubt any PL club plays their full strength side for an FA Cup match and will rely upon the opposition to do the same unless it’s a L1 or lower club that they either believe their kids can beat or at least get a replay. They are going to need to rethink that approach and put out more or less full strength sides or risk taking an early exit. The next few FA Cup winners could turn out to be teams that are not playing in Europe, challenging to finish in a European qualifying spot or fighting relegation. Who knows, next season could be the year Curbs is finally proven right and ‘why not Charlton’ actually happens 😁
  • Sponsored links:

• another disgrace decision, football as we know it has gone down the tubes. Hope other clubs come out and follow Tranmere’s lead. 
    Bradford City CEO and Macclesfield owner and Eastbourne Borough CEO all criticising the decision and that EFL not consulted in today's ipaper.
  • FA statement:

We have listened to the concerns expressed over the last 24 hours, and would like to outline the approval process which was undertaken for the 2024-25 professional game football calendar.

We have been discussing the calendar for the 2024-25 season with the Premier League and EFL for well over a year.

Removing Emirates FA Cup replays was discussed in the early meetings and all parties accepted that they could not continue. The discussions then focused on how to make all of our competitions stronger, despite having fewer dates available and wanting to maintain player welfare.

The changes to the Emirates FA Cup achieve this by returning it to a weekend competition on every round, and ensuring that we have exclusive broadcast slots in an increasingly congested calendar.

To clarify, we have also increased the number of Emirates FA Cup matches that will be broadcast in the early rounds, which will lead to additional guaranteed broadcast revenue for EFL and National League teams. Additionally, we review the prize money annually for the competition, together with representatives from the EFL and Premier League and will do the same for the 2024-25 season.

The calendar for next season was approved last month by the Professional Game Board, which consists of four EFL representatives and four Premier League representatives and then by the FA Board, which includes Premier League, EFL, National Game and grassroots representation. This is the process we undergo every year to approve the calendar.

We understand the concerns expressed over the last 24 hours, and we will be sharing more details with clubs very shortly to explain the additional revenue opportunities in the early rounds.

We will keep this under review as the new calendar begins to ensure that EFL and National League clubs do not lose out.

• I wonder what the ratio of times those clubs currently in the PL have actually won it to those not currently in the PL have won it. Probably shouldn’t be too difficult to work out given the likes of Palace, Luton, Bournemouth currently residing in the PL
  • Replays stopped being interesting when they went from being next Tuesday to Tuesday week so that the police had time to polish their helmets or whatever they have to do.  
  • Replays stopped being interesting when they went from being next Tuesday to Tuesday week so that the police had time to polish their helmets or whatever they have to do.  
    Kenneth Williams photo please.
  • Shit for the small clubs. Happy days for the big clubs.
    Shit for the small clubs (i.e. from bottom third of Championship downwards)
    Fuck all difference for the big clubs

Members of the EFL board on the panel, including Parry and Steve Kavanagh. 
    Probably a ULEZ style ‘consultation’ I.e. tick the box to show some degree of conversation but a pre decided outcome 😀