Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA Cup replays scrapped

Comments

• edited April 18
    Can't believe 11 people have liked the OP

Terrible decision that once again is for the top clubs and doesn't care about the smaller teams 
    I like the opportunity of more upsets. Replays favour the big teams getting through to later rounds. This change isn’t all entirely stacked in their favour. They get their congestion down but at the cost of increased risk of getting knocked out early.

For the underdog, holding out for a draw once is much easier than doing it twice home & away.

Under this rule, we may well have been embarrassed by Cray Valley earlier this season. But there’s also little chance we’d have had the previous season’s trip to Old Trafford if we had to go through a replay at Brighton first. (Yes I know they were different comps but the point stands, no replays meant we got a win that otherwise would’ve been very difficult to achieve).
  • Now that FA Cup replays have gone that's one less thing for the big clubs to moan about. I suspect that shortly (within the next couple of years) they will turn their attention to pushing to scrap the league cup.
  • There should be replays unless both sides agree before the game to a one-off. Then, if Man Utd draw Liverpool, they can agree to avoid the risk of an extra game, and if a lower club gets a Premier club, the Prem club can field their reserves if they want.
  • Maybe they can change the format so every team eligible gets drawn in the first round, not the third round
  • edited April 18
    Leave it as is with replays up to round 3. Then, seed it 1-64 and have team 1 away at 64 without replay option, 2 away at 63 etc....
    Lower seeded team gets a goal head start and higher placed team only allowed 10 men.

Edit - guaranteed David V Goliath games and relatively big money spinners for the smaller clubs without loading "Fancy Dan" PL teams with too many games 
  • Didn't Arsenal and Sheff Wed have a several replay ding dong some years back. Pat Rice and Sammy Nelson era I think.
  • edited April 18
    swordfish said:
    Didn't Arsenal and Sheff Wed have a several replay ding dong some years back. Pat Rice and Sammy Nelson era I think.
    I remember that - it was crazy, 3 of the replays on a neutral ground (Filbert Street)

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/that-1980s-sports-blog/2020/feb/04/arsenal-won-fa-cup-four-replays-sheffield-wednesday

Game was held up because the Wednesday fans were pelting Pat Jennings with snowballs - you’d get a lifetime ban for chucking snowballs these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0HkGEPmxI&t=5m25s
  • Sponsored links:

• Shameful to not even discuss these plans with any clubs outside of the Premier League.

Especially as outside the top six, the rest weren't in the Football League too long ago.
  • another disgrace decision, football as we know it has gone down the tubes. Hope other clubs come out and follow Tranmere’s lead. 
  • It’s the FA’s competition- they can set the rules. 

If you don’t agree, then don’t enter 
  • So the prem clubs can fit in more pointless friendlies in the Middle East and Australia etc 
  • edited April 18
    From a selfish point of view I'm miffed because I enjoyed watching the replays on the telly, one of the few chances to see extra football on terrestrial tv. I can also see why the EFL clubs are annoyed. You'd have thought some consultation would have happened.
  • Don’t really care. Let’s be honest when we draw against a league two side at home who wants to go to the away replay on a Tuesday night. 

You take a big side to extra time and you got half a chance of winning on pens rather than another 90 the following week.

• Do you think CVPM fans would have preferred to have gone to penalties at the Valley or been tonked at home in the replay ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Wouldn’t be a problem if they just beat lower ranked sides…
  • Don’t really care. Let’s be honest when we draw against a league two side at home who wants to go to the away replay on a Tuesday night. 

You take a big side to extra time and you got half a chance of winning on pens rather than another 90 the following week.

It's not about us though is it

If it’s a new ground, count me in.
  • A large number of EFL and non-league clubs have come out with statements condemning this proposal overnight. If the FA don’t reconsider this it’ll be very surprising…
  • MrOneLung said:
    Do you think CVPM fans would have preferred to have gone to penalties at the Valley or been tonked at home in the replay ? 
    I think they probably preferred the extra revenue from a sold out stadium and televised game.
  • Now that FA Cup replays have gone that's one less thing for the big clubs to moan about. I suspect that shortly (within the next couple of years) they will turn their attention to pushing to scrap the league cup.
    League Cup is the EFL Cup so should only be open to EFL clubs. Throw out the Premier League clubs and see how they will complain about it.

Also these one off games, will they have extra time or go straight to penalties?
  • Nothing from the club yet. 
  • iaitch said:
    Now that FA Cup replays have gone that's one less thing for the big clubs to moan about. I suspect that shortly (within the next couple of years) they will turn their attention to pushing to scrap the league cup.
    League Cup is the EFL Cup so should only be open to EFL clubs. Throw out the Premier League clubs and see how they will complain about it.

Also these one off games, will they have extra time or go straight to penalties?
    Most would be happy