Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Unbeaten run…

124»

Comments

• Jones has worked a small miracle in turning, what at I consider at least is a very mediocre bunch of players from being relegation candidates to their true potential in mid table. I have every confidence that given the support he’ll definitely need to take the nucleus of this side onto promotion candidates then he’ll do it. Maybe not next season but within two. We’re a third tier club treading water and he’s exactly the type of manager we need. It’s up to the board now to step up.
    Small miracle is overstating it. He's done a good job, but I doubt fans of Fleetwood, Port Vale, Cheltenham etc are shocked that we dragged ourselves to safety. It's not like the transformation at Lincoln from strugglers to playoff contenders. 

I was happy Appleton was sacked as clearly it wasn't working by the end, but it's also worth noting that we have a better team than the one Appleton had. Ramsay, Small and Wickham (plus Lualua) have all arrived since he was sacked, and Chuks has (partially) returned from injury.
    Bit of a stretch, Ramsay 2 starts 3 sub apps, Wickham 1 start (only as we’re safe) 2 sub apps and LuaLua 3 sub apps. Small has impressed but effectively replaced CBT down the left.

Small also appears to be a Jones signing, possibly Ramsay too. We might not have even signed them had Appleton stayed.

More players back fit has helped but the big difference is Jones making the most of what he has. Appleton didn’t play Anderson and Kanu as much as Jones for example, their work rate has played a big part in the team playing with more aggression and energy. Appleton seemed to prioritise our passing game over competing and being difficult to beat.
  • Scoham said:
    Jones has worked a small miracle in turning, what at I consider at least is a very mediocre bunch of players from being relegation candidates to their true potential in mid table. I have every confidence that given the support he’ll definitely need to take the nucleus of this side onto promotion candidates then he’ll do it. Maybe not next season but within two. We’re a third tier club treading water and he’s exactly the type of manager we need. It’s up to the board now to step up.
    Small miracle is overstating it. He's done a good job, but I doubt fans of Fleetwood, Port Vale, Cheltenham etc are shocked that we dragged ourselves to safety. It's not like the transformation at Lincoln from strugglers to playoff contenders. 

I was happy Appleton was sacked as clearly it wasn't working by the end, but it's also worth noting that we have a better team than the one Appleton had. Ramsay, Small and Wickham (plus Lualua) have all arrived since he was sacked, and Chuks has (partially) returned from injury.
    Bit of a stretch, Ramsay 2 starts 3 sub apps, Wickham 1 start (only as we’re safe) 2 sub apps and LuaLua 3 sub apps. Small has impressed but effectively replaced CBT down the left.

Small also appears to be a Jones signing, possibly Ramsay too. We might not have even signed them had Appleton stayed.

More players back fit has helped but the big difference is Jones making the most of what he has. Appleton didn’t play Anderson and Kanu as much as Jones for example, their work rate has played a big part in the team playing with more aggression and energy. Appleton seemed to prioritise our passing game over competing and being difficult to beat.
    You could have fooled me. Couldn't string more than two together from what I saw. The only thing he passed up on was the opportunity to win games of football.
  • swordfish said:
    Scoham said:
    Jones has worked a small miracle in turning, what at I consider at least is a very mediocre bunch of players from being relegation candidates to their true potential in mid table. I have every confidence that given the support he’ll definitely need to take the nucleus of this side onto promotion candidates then he’ll do it. Maybe not next season but within two. We’re a third tier club treading water and he’s exactly the type of manager we need. It’s up to the board now to step up.

You could have fooled me. Couldn't string more than two together from what I saw. The only thing he passed up on was the opportunity to win games of football.
    Ha ha. Made me laugh. Absolutely true
  • edited April 26
    I don't blame the club for putting a positive spin on it and as far as I know there's nothing factually inaccurate in it. I'm pretty confident though that those other unbeaten runs would have generated far more excitement and will have been remembered a lot more fondly than this one.
  • edited April 25

"A front five of Derek Hales, Colin Powell, Martin Robinson, Phil Walker and Paul Walsh saw Charlton score 28 goals and with Nicky Johns in goal conceded just six goals, keeping 11 clean sheets in that period. Charlton went on to finish third and were promoted back to the Second Division."

"Top goalscorer Andy Hunt scored 11 league goals during that period - including two hat-tricks - and ended up with the Golden Boot in the First Division that season.

The team went top in the middle of January and were never seriously challenged from then on."

And we're in.....16th. 

• Stig said:
    I don't blame the club for putting a positive spin on it and as far as I know there's nothing factually in accurate in it. I'm pretty confident though that those other unbeaten runs we have generated far more excitement and will have been remembered a lot more fondly than this one.
    They also had a few more wins too !  

1980 - 15 unbeaten - THIRTEEN wins

2000  - 14 unbeaten - TWELVE WINS ON THE TROTT

When Nathan Jones gets anywhere near that then I'll applaud it. But playing mind numbing 1-1 draws doesn't cut the mustard.

• Christ, that’s really putting lipstick on a pig. Sorry, it’s got to be the most boring unexciting 14 game unbeaten run in history. I think we have gone from 22nd to 16th….. hardly an open top bus event…..
  • Christ, that’s really putting lipstick on a pig. Sorry, it’s got to be the most boring unexciting 14 game unbeaten run in history. I think we have gone from 22nd to 16th….. hardly an open top bus event…..
    Twinned with Hudderzzzzzzzfield 
  • Sponsored links:

• What a thread
    Feeling positive myself 
    COYR