Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New England shirt 2024 & St George’s scandal

Comments

• Options
    I might start a thread "what country has your favourite flag" B)
  • Options
    edited April 4
    Bloody flag shaggers:

I prefer this version anyway:

The above flag shows how far LGBTQ rights have advanced in the Gaza strip.

Mainly because there's not many tall buildings left in Gaza for them to get thrown off of, but it's progress of a sort, I suppose.
    Would rather be a Palestinian flag shagger than someone taking (apparent) pleasure in the indiscriminate killing of children, women, aid workers and journalists but that's just me. 

Honestly that last paragraph is one of the worst things I've seen written on CL (and totally irrelevant to the thread). 
    Without this going political, the poster is quite clearly Jewish/of Jewish heritage. 

everyone’s an expert on Palestine, yes the aid workers were killed but they have chosen to go into a country where there is a war on. It is always a risk. That’s not to be an ass just to be factual that it isn’t a huge surprise and part of the risk in volunteering for a cause.

regarding the last paragraph I can only speak from personal experience the 3 Muslims I have worked with ( Palestine is a Muslim state ) have been incredibly homophonic and one came out with the line “ they should be thrown from the highest point “ equally my other half’s parents are Catholic and also don’t agree with homosexuality. It is pretty well known that many Muslim countries are not tolerant of it. 

But yes irrelevant as this is a discussion of a flag on a football shirt. 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    IMO this is one of the best England shirts in years.

But there’s a few upset snowflakes over the artistic license used for incorporating blues and purples in the St George’s cross on the collar… personally I think it’s more scandalous that it’ll cost £85 minimum for an adult size.

But its not a St George's cross 
    Is it so why is it on the shirt in the first place 

A 'professional' in marketing probably thought it would sell more shirts.
    They'd be right
  • Options
    A homosexual in Palestine is under more threat of an Israeli missiles than being thrown off a building. Having LGBT rights, although that's debatable under Netanyahu, doesn't excuse war crimes.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Crikey, someone had a pint tonight
    Less of the C word please mate. 
  • Options

What an absolute roller-coaster of a thread. 
  • Options
    I quite like the away kit - my youngest would probably want Bellingham on shirt. What number is likely to be given ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I quite like the away kit - my youngest would probably want Bellingham on shirt. What number is likely to be given ? 
    MrOneLung said:
    I just feel it should be Red. 
  • Options
    In recent years, the unveiling of a new football shirt has become an event eagerly anticipated by fans worldwide. It's not just about the design or the colours; it's about the symbolism embedded within the fabric. The launch of the new England football shirt, featuring a modified St George's Cross on the back collar, has sparked both intrigue and controversy. However, understanding the rationale behind this alteration unveils a clever marketing ploy aimed at fostering inclusivity, sparking interest, and emphasising the evolving nature of national identity.

Firstly, the modification of the St George's Cross reflects a desire to modernise and adapt traditional symbols to resonate with contemporary audiences. In today's globalised world, cultural exchange and diversity are celebrated, and the football shirt serves as a canvas to reflect this reality. By incorporating different colours into the design, the creators have reimagined a classic emblem in a fresh, dynamic way, appealing to a broader spectrum of fans.

Moreover, the decision to alter the national flag on a football shirt is a clever marketing strategy designed to generate buzz and increase sales. Football is not just a sport; it's a multi-billion-dollar industry driven by consumer demand. By introducing unique elements to the shirt design, manufacturers create a sense of novelty and exclusivity, motivating fans to purchase the latest merchandise to show their support for the team.

Critics may argue that tampering with a national symbol is sacrilegious or disrespectful. However, it's essential to recognize that symbols, including flags, are not static entities frozen in time. They evolve alongside society, reflecting changing attitudes, values, and identities. The modified St George's Cross on the England football shirt serves as a testament to the fluid nature of symbolism and the capacity for reinterpretation.

Furthermore, there should be no cause for alarm or outrage at the sight of a national flag being altered for artistic or commercial purposes. National symbols hold significance, but they should not be immune to innovation or experimentation. Just as artists reinterpret classical paintings or musicians remix timeless melodies, designers have the creative license to reimagine national symbols in ways that captivate and inspire.

In conclusion, the modified St George's Cross on the new England football shirt symbolises more than just a deviation from tradition; it represents a celebration of diversity, creativity, and inclusivity. Rather than viewing it as a threat to national identity, we should embrace it as a reflection of our dynamic and ever-evolving society. However, amidst the excitement and fanfare, it's crucial to remember that there should be no place for nationalism tendencies and sympathies in international sport. Football is a unifying force that transcends borders and bridges divides. We should cherish the camaraderie it fosters and celebrate the diversity it represents, while remaining vigilant against divisive ideologies that seek to exploit our differences.
  • Options
    That's what ChatGPT thinks anyway, when I asked it for a post to bring this thread back on topic. 
  • Options
    edited April 4
  • Options
    A homosexual in Palestine is under more threat of an Israeli missiles than being thrown off a building. Having LGBT rights, although that's debatable under Netanyahu, doesn't excuse war crimes.
    Because they are involved in a war? 

And a homosexual in Saudi Arabia? 
  • Options
    It’s not a compassion it’s just pointing out the obvious as many are quick to do when it doesn’t suit there agenda on this forum 
  • Options
    I think most religion is backward 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s not a compassion it’s just pointing out the obvious as many are quick to do when it doesn’t suit there agenda on this forum 
    Why is it even brought up at all on a thread talking about a football shirt? 

That's pointing out the obvious for you. 
  • Options
    I had to google this one.
    New flag at the QE hospital.
  • Options
    Why is it even brought up at all on a thread talking about a football shirt? 

That's pointing out the obvious for you. 
    I was responding to a previous post and discussing it. Apologies 
  • Options
    edited April 4
    Bloody flag shaggers:

I prefer this version anyway:

The above flag shows how far LGBTQ rights have advanced in the Gaza strip.

Mainly because there's not many tall buildings left in Gaza for them to get thrown off of, but it's progress of a sort, I suppose.
    Genocide - good for a laugh.  
  • Options
    edited April 4
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Will it be 48?
    Or 52?
  • Options
    Kiribati have a beauty 

• Options
    Easy one for me, this one

Just a bit of a shame more English people don't get behind it instead of splitting hairs about it.