Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs Carlisle United | Saturday 9th March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    Need to win this, need a home win to celebrate at long last 
  • Options
    Surely this first home win for NJ, I'm going to push it though and add a clean sheet, 3-0 Addicks.
  • Options
    edited March 8
    Comfortable 3 or 4 goal romp for the the mighty Addicks. What was all the fuss about relegation?
  • Options
    On paper it looks like almost the perfect fixture for us. Carlisle have lost five out of the last seven with a creditable draw v Peterborough and a quite remarkable win at Bolton. I’m sure it will be tougher than we hope but it’s the sort of game we have to collect three points. Think it’ll be closer than some are predicting. 2 - 1 to Charlton. I’ll take that.
    Burton not Bolton
  • Options
    I think the starting line up in the preview by FA is exactly right - i don't think we want to start experimenting until we are mathematically safe - if we get 3 or more up in a game, we should use it to rest key players - lets start the experimenting once we are safe or in pre season - i wanna see hoofball, channel running, aggressive closing down and play only in the opposition  half - basic but effective.    
  • Options
    Good team prediction @ForeverAddickted, I feel that Anderson needs a rest for a game or two and Bakinson will have gained a lot of confidence through his very good gal at Cheltenham .. Jones should be recalled simply because he is our best central defender .. 'no easy wins in L1', probably true though the form Carlisle is in a t m, games will (or should) not come easier than this .. 3 more points towards a play off place !
  • Options
    Really looking forward to this, as I've never seen us score double figures in a single match before.
  • Options
    A bit left field, but may be the kind of game to include Louis Watson. We're expecting to have a lot more of the ball than Carlisle so it's more a question of if we can do anything with it.

Hopefully in a game like this Louis's apparent lack of work rate shouldn't hurt us too much but the creativity could be an asset.

Not sure Jones will go for it though as if Louis isn't the best trainer as has been rumoured, he'd probably not want to set the precedent that you can give less than 100% and be included in matchdays.
    I agree that isn't the sort of game where we need 3 high energy workhorses in midfield, harrying and pressing for 100 minutes, as we'll have most of the ball.

If you can't play one of Watson, Fiorini or Camara in this game, you never will.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    I’d keep Anderson in. Carlisle will sit deep and defend, Anderson has more about him than Bakinson in terms of quality on the ball, creativity and unlocking a defence. Think we will need more of that than Bakinson can offer 
    He looked so far off the pace on Tuesday that he needs a little break I think. Bakinson somehow gets into one decent scoring position in every game, and now he's broken his duck he might bag one or two more. Coventry has proved to be quite an assister, so the pair of them should offer enough threat, in theory, especially against a team like Carlisle.
    On the other hand, perhaps Anderson's performance was just a blip; but NJ would know more about that than I would. Either way, it'll be interesting. If we score in the first twenty minutes I'd expect us to get at least one or two more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We must surely win this based on our recent form, and their dreadful form / position in the table

I looked at Carlisle’s website - they have sold over 800 tickets for this, which is impressive considering distance / league position 
  • Options
    We must surely win this based on our recent form, and their dreadful form / position in the table

I looked at Carlisle’s website - they have sold over 800 tickets for this, which is impressive considering distance / league position 
    I think I've read in the past that they've quite a large London Branch of their Supporters club, as think they've always brought a good number of fans here
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    NabySarr said:
    I’d keep Anderson in. Carlisle will sit deep and defend, Anderson has more about him than Bakinson in terms of quality on the ball, creativity and unlocking a defence. Think we will need more of that than Bakinson can offer 
    He looked so far off the pace on Tuesday that he needs a little break I think. Bakinson somehow gets into one decent scoring position in every game, and now he's broken his duck he might bag one or two more. Coventry has proved to be quite an assister, so the pair of them should offer enough threat, in theory, especially against a team like Carlisle.
    On the other hand, perhaps Anderson's performance was just a blip; but NJ would know more about that than I would. Either way, it'll be interesting. If we score in the first twenty minutes I'd expect us to get at least one or two more.
    If it’s a fitness thing then fair enough Anderson might need to sit out

But on performance, Anderson has got to keep his place. Can’t back a player like Jones has and give him all that confidence only to then drop him after one poor game 
  • Options
    Put it on the coincidences thread that tomorrow is the 55th anniversary of my first Charlton game, also against  Carlisle.

So I'm expecting Matt Tees to put us ahead in the first minute and Hugh Mcilmore to equalise  before half time. A dull one all draw it is then. Desperately hoping this side will do better than the 1969 one though.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Why have we got to wait until 7pm to see if we have won? I think this is Dobson's last game to count for a two game suspension 
    7pm sounds good to me…mrs ltgtr always asks why it takes me so long to get home after a game that kicked off at 3pm and lasts 90 minutes. I explain that it’s because they changed the rules and there’s loads of time added on these days, and then you have to go in the bar for a pint or two depending upon how many were at the game in order to let the queue go down at the station…I can use that preview to prewarn her I’ll be late now 😀
    Tell her there was 27,000 at the game.
  • Options
    smsm
    edited March 8

I suspect this will be a different sort of game for Nathan Jones as he hasn't played against a park the bus team. Will need more creativity up front rather than just relying on breakaways - and the defence may have to keep their concentration levels up to deal with breakaways against the run of play. Hopefully we shall be ok as we now have a manager who appears able to get the team to adapt - but getting the first goal will be vital.
  • Options
    Chuks and Wigwam up top will be unstoppable. 
  • Options
    edited March 8
    Wouldn't it be just typical Charlton? 

Nah,  cannot contemplate a fuck up!

3-1  with a defensive balls up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Poor old FA, you did not expect the club to sign a player this late in the season to mess up your preview. 😂
    lol! I thought that as well briefly when I saw the announcement
  • Options
    If Anderson needs a rest, play another striker . Bakinson’s half hit shot was so valuable but not worthy of a start . 
  • Options

Some won’t live in Carlisle. Quite a few probably live in London I expect. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    If Anderson needs a rest, play another striker . Bakinson’s half hit shot was so valuable but not worthy of a start . 
    He’s not a striker, and he does a decent job in midfield. We improved when he came on on Tuesday. I don’t get why so many people knock him. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Some won’t live in Carlisle. Quite a few probably live in London I expect. 
    I looked up Carlisle Utd London Supporters Club online - looks to be a very well run and large group - fair play to them 

BUT hope we put them to the sword tmrw, and they have a cruddy day out !!!
  • Options
    We won’t be holding them at arms length, we’re going to knock ‘em clean out!! 5-1 with Alfie playing in the hole behind Kanu and Ladapo, Thomas on the bench for Jones. Wickham on the bench.