Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs Carlisle United | Saturday 9th March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Charlton Athletic vs Carlisle United
Saturday 9th March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Tom Nield

Introduction
What a difference a couple of positive results makes to the atmosphere around Sparrows Lane, this Charlton side appears to have been on an absolute roll ever since the deserved, but unexpected draw with Bolton - Under the critical eye of Nathan Jones, this is a team that looks like a shadow of the one under Michael Appleton, which sometimes proves the squad is only as good as the person leading it. Naturally there should be a degree of caution, we've seen this sort of upturn in results whenever a new Manager has entered the building these last few years... But its starting to feel a little different this time around.

The Opposition
Name: Carlisle United (24th) | Manager: Paul Simpson
Ground: Brunton Park
Previous League Result: Carlisle 1-3 Reading

Next up for the Addicks are the serious strugglers in League One this season; Carlisle United, and already with eleven games to spare, find themselves a whopping 15-points from safety - We've of course got fond memories of games against a team initially called Shaddongate United, but only a miracle will stop them playing in League Two next season.

That doesnt mean the three points will be remaining in South East London come Full-Time at 7pm on Saturday afternoon - We've seen at this stage of the season, in the last two years, how a troubled side can rock up at the Valley and commence a turnaround of epic proportions - However on those occasions; Morecambe were able to rely on a Striker who seemed to have his own personal vendetta against the Addicks; Carlisle on the other hand will be relying on their top scorers with Jordan Gibson (with six league goals) from Midfield, and  Joe Garner with three in the league to fire them to the unthinkable that is safety... Its quite surprising in some regard to find that the Cumbrians wont be travelling from the Lake District as the lowest scorers in the Division, however they do have the worst defence, having conceded five more times than ourselves this campaign!!

In terms of recent form, and Carlisle have unfortunately had a run of results that Michael Appleton would be proud of... Just one win in their last ten, which came last time out on the road (a 1-0 victory at Burton), with the other ten all ending it defeat - Their form hasn't been helped given the departure of talisman; Owen Moxon to Portsmouth in January, but it does look to be a one way trip back to the Fourth tier, for Paul Simpson and his side

Its not over until its over though, and in Football there are no guaranteed results... This is what makes it the beautiful game!!

Charlton Team News
Once again it looks as though Chuks Aneke will be sadly absent for another period of time, no doubt resurrecting the tiresome "release him" argument - But with his absense out the way for this coming Saturday we can focus on the rest of the squad, who recovered well from being pegged back on Tuesday evening to record a 3-1 victory at Cheltenham Town... Lloyd Jones was once again available after his suspension, whilst George Dobson survived the last game required to avoid a two match ban... The Midfielder will now need to avoid picking up another six bookings between now and the end of the season to avoid a whopping three match ban, before he departs for new lands.

Elsewhere and Karoy Anderson has performed admirably in recent weeks, so could be given a rest having looked a bit tired in Gloucestershire

Whilst Edmonds-Green was withdrawn against Cheltenham after needing treatment, but should be available this Saturday.

Isted
Edmonds-Green - Jones - Gillesphey
Watson - Coventry - Dobson - Small
Bakinson
May - Kanu

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Hector - Thomas - Asiimwe - Campbell - Anderson - Ladapo

Comments

• Options
    There's no Southeastern or Thameslink service from London Bridge via Greenwich on Saturday. Only half hourly trains via Lewisham.
  • Options
    3-0 Charlton,May with 2,Coventry with the other. COYR
  • Options
    I’d keep Anderson in. Carlisle will sit deep and defend, Anderson has more about him than Bakinson in terms of quality on the ball, creativity and unlocking a defence. Think we will need more of that than Bakinson can offer 
  • Options
    I can’t keep up, I thought May was also a booking away from a ban and that he got booked the other night…
  • Options
    I can’t keep up, I thought May was also a booking away from a ban and that he got booked the other night…
    Me too 
  • Options
    Why have we got to wait until 7pm to see if we have won? I think this is Dobson's last game to count for a two game suspension 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hoping for Alfie to get his shooting boots on and at least CAFC can be top of the goalscorers table. Oh yes we are bound to concede but let's  put lard on their backs- so they can go down quickly (thanks to Milton Jones).
    By the way suggest that those with the odd quid to spare back Lincoln to get to the play-offs.They have Barnsley  and Pompey to play but the rest are all winnable .Easy money. (Don't see them going further than that)
  • Options
    If Dobson picks up six bookings with his last being in the last match of the season, will then be banned for the first three games in Hungary?
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    I’d keep Anderson in. Carlisle will sit deep and defend, Anderson has more about him than Bakinson in terms of quality on the ball, creativity and unlocking a defence. Think we will need more of that than Bakinson can offer 
    Anderson was pretty poor for most of the time he was on the pitch on Tuesday. I’d say he needs a bit of a rest. 
  • Options
    We should be too good for them. I can see us winning 3 or 4-1. 
  • Options
    wrong - May has 8 bookings so he is fine - see the Statbank for details :)
  • Options
    4-1 Charlton.
  • Options
    Let's not miss a hatful of chances please.
  • Options
    I would put Anderson on the bench. Give him a slight break and if we are in good position, bring him in to see the game out with his energy. 

With that, id start Bakinson for a bit of physical presence as I think that is the kind of game Carlisle will bring. 

If we can get an early goal, I think they will crumble. If we dont, then they could nick something with our history of defensive fragility. 

Saying that, I am confident we will get the win. 

Charlton 2-0 (May and Ladapo (on as a sub)
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Why have we got to wait until 7pm to see if we have won? I think this is Dobson's last game to count for a two game suspension 
    It's a home game - we are incapable of kicking off on time. It's often 3pm before the bloody players have even emerged from the tunnel! The half time break seems to get longer and longer each week too.

Add to that the exceptional amount of stoppage time that gets added to our matches and the old days of 4:45pm finishes are a distant memory.
    Phew... It was a terrible joke, but I'm relieved someone got it ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    It's a home game - we are incapable of kicking off on time. It's often 3pm before the bloody players have even emerged from the tunnel! The half time break seems to get longer and longer each week too.

Add to that the exceptional amount of stoppage time that gets added to our matches and the old days of 4:45pm finishes are a distant memory.
    Phew... It was a terrible joke, but I'm relieved someone got it ;)
    You're not wrong though, buddy.

It's a drum I've been banging for a good couple of seasons now in the Match Threads.
  • Options
    Nothing is guaranteed in sport, but Carlisle are a poor side in L1, and out of form. Therefore, it's worth resting one or two if they're reaching the red zone, where they may be in danger of muscle injuries.

Might be worth giving Camara another runout if he's trained well, to see if he can get up to speed.
  • Options
    edited March 8
    On paper it looks like almost the perfect fixture for us. Carlisle have lost five out of the last seven with a creditable draw v Peterborough and a quite remarkable win at Bolton. I’m sure it will be tougher than we hope but it’s the sort of game we have to collect three points. Think it’ll be closer than some are predicting. 2 - 1 to Charlton. I’ll take that.
  • Options
    Charlton win, 3-1.

Our goals from DK, Alfie and ConCov.

Carlisle's goal to be scored by Sam Lavelle, a free header from a corner or free-kick.
  • Options
    Are we sure that Carlisle will just sit deep and defend? They're desperate for points, and draws aren't much good for them at this stage. So this could be a bit more open.

1-1, Lavelle nailed on to get their goal.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    There's no Southeastern or Thameslink service from London Bridge via Greenwich on Saturday. Only half hourly trains via Lewisham.
    Might not be a bad thing for those travelling by train as Palace, Millwall and Charlton unusually all have 3:00pm kick offs…
  • Options
    It's the sort of game where we need to score an early goal to take the pressure off and force the opposition to open up a bit. Carlisle will defend for their lives and hope to pick something up from a mistake or set piece. If we can maintain the same energy levels as the last few games we should have too much for Carlisle, so I think we will win fairly comfortably for a change.
  • Options
    Are we sure that Carlisle will just sit deep and defend? They're desperate for points, and draws aren't much good for them at this stage. So this could be a bit more open.

1-1, Lavelle nailed on to get their goal.
    I think Carlisle are playing for pride now. They're not going to make up a 15 point gap with 11 games left, having won just 5 games all season.

I would expect them to park the bus, and hope to nick a goal from somewhere/