Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Replace Red Red Robin??

Comments

• Options
    Keep it, we've managed to avoid the abomination that is goal music for which I am thankful. Red Red Robin is ours, its unique and rightly should remain never to be tampered with or otherwise dephiled. So many clubs have had to fabricate something similar and its just that, fabricated. 

I'm glad Everton have kept Z Cars as well. 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    shirty5 said:
    Gribbo said:
    On Saturday Curbs had a story about a Tony Cottee anecdote (or did Curbs have an anecdote about a Tony Cotte story?), that when he used to play at the Valley he would get nervous with it being a derby game and the Valley being quite intimidating, then the Red Red Robin would come on and all his angst would immediately disappear. 

I'm still for keeping it though
    Another poster said it was Tony Gale, who never played in Prem vs Charlton - in any event, same applies to Cottee, he never played against us in the Prem

Unless of course Curbs is saying Prem, when he actually means old Div 1, however even then, no Div 1 games were played at The Valley in the 80’s…..
    Cottee scored twice against us in our first season in the premier league for Leicester at the Valley in the League Cup

Just under 20,000 in attendance that night 

Wow - great knowledge, albeit not a derby match though 
    Aren’t they the team we’ve played against the most times? The eternal derby really. 
    I thought the team we have played the most is Pompey 
    Ah maybe
  • Options
    edited February 26
    yes .. it's a symbol/symptom of an old fashioned backward looking club just wallowing in nostalgia, I mean referring to a large number of the aging fanbase, not necessarily the owners who I am sure are a dynamic bunch of thrusting, looking far into the future investors
  • Options
    Never change this. Change the music before it. Please do not play Nathan Jones.

Bring back "Let me Entertain you" etc. Was always good for building atmosphere.
    Let me entertain you, Charlton haven’t done that for years!
  • Options
    Never change this. Change the music before it. Please do not play Nathan Jones.

Bring back "Let me Entertain you" etc. Was always good for building atmosphere.
    Let me entertain you, Charlton haven’t done that for years!
    And Congratulations by Cliff Richard 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    shirty5 said:
    Gribbo said:
    On Saturday Curbs had a story about a Tony Cottee anecdote (or did Curbs have an anecdote about a Tony Cotte story?), that when he used to play at the Valley he would get nervous with it being a derby game and the Valley being quite intimidating, then the Red Red Robin would come on and all his angst would immediately disappear. 

Another poster said it was Tony Gale, who never played in Prem vs Charlton - in any event, same applies to Cottee, he never played against us in the Prem

Unless of course Curbs is saying Prem, when he actually means old Div 1, however even then, no Div 1 games were played at The Valley in the 80’s…..
    Cottee scored twice against us in our first season in the premier league for Leicester at the Valley in the League Cup

Aren’t they the team we’ve played against the most times? The eternal derby really. 
    Correct…..followed by Middlesborough
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    shirty5 said:
    Gribbo said:

Was it ever Leicester or have I just totally made that up?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    shirty5 said:
    Gribbo said:

Was it ever Leicester or have I just totally made that up?
    I’ve never heard that it’s Leicester…..so I guess you made it up. 🫢
  • Options
    Keep for sure.
  • Options
    Leicester won't have been for a long time, if ever. Only played them 53 times in total. Top 10 for reference:

1. Portsmouth 116
    2. Middlesbrough 106
    3. Bolton 95
    4. Derby 92
    5. Huddersfield 90
    6. Wolves 85
    7. Sunderland 83
    7. Norwich 83
    9. Blackburn 81
    10. Cardiff 77
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yesterday was our 108th league meeting with Pompey. They are the team we've met most.

League only

1 Pompey 108
    2 Middlesbrough 96
    3 Bolton 90
    4 Derby 87 (88 on Tuesday)
    5 Huddersfield 86
    6 Sunderland 78
    7 Norwich 75
    = 8 Millwall & Wolves 74
    10 Plymouth 74

We've played also Boro 10 times in cups but haven't had time to work out the other opponents cup games. We played Pompey in the Anglo Italian cup and Derby in the FA Cup Final.

Only Millwall are a London side.
  • Options
    edited February 26
    My figures are total league and cup, since 1920/21 :)

Total teams played since then, including U21/Reserve teams in the Southern League and EFL Trophy is 146 for anyone interested.
  • Options
    https://www.11v11.com/teams/charlton-athletic/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Leicester%20City/

This site is good for such things, you have to deduct the cup games to get the league totals, but useful none the less.

• Options
    So, to be clear, you’re all certain Leicester aren’t the team we’ve played most?
  • Options
    Everton run out to the theme from bloody Z Cars, and you never see them struggl... oh, er hang on...
    Z cars theme is an instrumental version of The Ballad of Johnny Todd.
    It’s an old song sung by sailors popular in and around Liverpool docks and was sung in schools in Liverpool.
    The story is about a sailor, Johnny Todd who went to sea leaving the love of his life at home. When he returned he found out she had fell for another man while he was at sea, hence the term ‘on your todd’

At least that is what I was told by a scouser I know who claimed they sung it at school in the late 60s.
  • Options
    Yesterday was our 108th league meeting with Pompey. They are the team we've met most.

League only

1 Pompey 108
    2 Middlesbrough 96
    3 Bolton 90
    4 Derby 87 (88 on Tuesday)
    5 Huddersfield 86
    6 Sunderland 78
    7 Norwich 75
    = 8 Millwall & Wolves 74
    10 Plymouth 74

We've played also Boro 10 times in cups but haven't had time to work out the other opponents cup games. We played Pompey in the Anglo Italian cup and Derby in the FA Cup Final.

Only Millwall are a London side.
    I'm amazed by the Millwall stat as we only played them a couple of times in the JS era. Both wins I think.
  • Options
    yes .. it's a symbol/symptom of an old fashioned backward looking club just wallowing in nostalgia, I mean referring to a large number of the aging fanbase, not necessarily the owners who I am sure are a dynamic bunch of thrusting, looking far into the future investors

Sarcasm is, indeed, the highest form of wit :)
  • Options
    Excellent 

Is Paul Tracey a Charlton fan or did @SE7toSG3 write that?

Still needed a 78RPM of the original for the museum.

We have vinyl 45s including the one @BDL played on 5/12/92 and a gold disc version.
  • Options
    Leicester won't have been for a long time, if ever. Only played them 53 times in total. Top 10 for reference:

1. Portsmouth 116
    2. Middlesbrough 106
    3. Bolton 95
    4. Derby 92
    5. Huddersfield 90
    6. Wolves 85
    7. Sunderland 83
    7. Norwich 83
    9. Blackburn 81
    10. Cardiff 77
    Excellent stuff @DyerConsequences

Does the Derby total include tomorrow's game?

Assume you're only counting league, FA Cup, League Cup, Anglo Italian and play-offs?

PS can I nick this for the museum's twitter?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everton run out to the theme from bloody Z Cars, and you never see them struggl... oh, er hang on...
    Z cars theme is an instrumental version of The Ballad of Johnny Todd.
    It’s an old song sung by sailors popular in and around Liverpool docks and was sung in schools in Liverpool.
    The story is about a sailor, Johnny Todd who went to sea leaving the love of his life at home. When he returned he found out she had fell for another man while he was at sea, hence the term ‘on your todd’

At least that is what I was told by a scouser I know who claimed they sung it at school in the late 60s.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1m_ysiV4uVY

In the 60s school kids sang folk songs and religious songs in school, and maybe church, so I'm told 😉

Hence why lots of 70s football chants were based on hymns and folk/popular songs eg bread of heaven/we can see you sneaking out.

And Z Cars was set on Merseyside 
  • Options
    Excellent 

Is Paul Tracey a Charlton fan or did @SE7toSG3 write that?

Still needed a 78RPM of the original for the museum.

We have vinyl 45s including the one @BDL played on 5/12/92 and a gold disc version.
    I assume it was written by the Fusiler Museum - reckon if CAFC Museum get in touch with them, they can give additional info about Billy Cotton 

I think you should also ‘tap up’ Michael Grade, given it was through his family that Mr Grade became an Addick 

When I approached him at h/t last season he was superb to chat to - loved the fact I asked - very open about his start as an Addick 

Get it written down, before it’s too late …..

RRR is a huge part of our history

Mr Grade is also part of our history - I remember before the Pompey back to The Valley game, he wrote a brilliant newspaper article (in the Guardian ? - not sure) where he told people about a club in SE London, which he loves, and the upcoming homecoming was more important than any other match taking place that w/e anywhere

👏
  • Options
    The poll question doesn’t even make sense
    Do you want to get rid?
    yes keep it
    no get rid
    🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options

1. Portsmouth 116
    2. Middlesbrough 106
    3. Bolton 95
    4. Derby 92
    5. Huddersfield 90
    6. Wolves 85
    7. Sunderland 83
    7. Norwich 83
    9. Blackburn 81
    10. Cardiff 77
    Excellent stuff @DyerConsequences

Does the Derby total include tomorrow's game?

Assume you're only counting league, FA Cup, League Cup, Anglo Italian and play-offs?

PS can I nick this for the museum's twitter?

No doesn't include tomorrow's game in those figures. Yes absolutely you're welcome to use it. It's all senior games since 1920/21, so League, playoffs, FA Cup, League Cup, Anglo Italian, EFL Trophy and Full Members Cup.
  • Options
    Paul Treacy is a Charlton fan who works inthe Royal Fusiliers Museum, thanks for sharing the article I hadn't seen it. 
  • Options
    12th February 1953
  • Options
    Correction.
    In the Clive Harris piece I think he means ‘Al Jolson’ not ‘Al Johnson’.
  • Options
    We could change shirts to blue, ground share with Millwall, have a Sparrow as our mascot and like Crystal Palace. Is this bloke winding us up? FFS