Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Replace Red Red Robin??

Comments

• Options
    Being a huge rugby league fan I have lots of love for Hull Kingston Rovers who play in red and white and whose anthem is also Red Red Robin.
    They sing it too while the game is on. It’s sounds brilliant.
    One of my best memories at Old Tafford pre grand final in the pub was singing it with a lone KR fan amongst a pub full of Hull FC fans. 
    Happy days.

It’s a great song and I love it.
    You’ve just broken my heart - I thought RRR was exclusively ours :-( 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Being a huge rugby league fan I have lots of love for Hull Kingston Rovers who play in red and white and whose anthem is also Red Red Robin.
    One of my best memories at Old Tafford pre grand final in the pub was singing it with a lone KR fan amongst a pub full of Hull FC fans. 
    Happy days.

It was written in 1927 by Harry M. Woods.  Billy Cotton (a life long Charlton fan) recorded it in 1954.  I'm not sure when Charlton actually adopted it though.  The recording appeared on the other side of Hopalong Cassidy - although I'm not sure what the 'A' side was - not that this has anything to do with anything  :|

Billy Cotton featured in A Life less Ordinary (see below).  He was quite a character.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30333533 
  • Options
    No harm in asking the question but no, the red red robin is part of our ‘charm’ and shall always be so !!!! 
  • Options
    TomArchYT said:
    kentred2 said:
    To get the place right up for it, you need fans that are right up for it and a team that gets them right up for it. 
    Not different entry music. Not drums. Not public address announcements. (Beer might help though). 
    Yeah this is true, just thought i’d put the question out there because of the amount of people saying we should change it
    Exactly how many are saying it ? ..................... & if you know your history etc
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Happy days.

Just to break more hearts, this is the type of bird Harry Woods would have had in mind when he wrote the song.

It's actually a type of thrush.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Absolutely not.

You must be Sadiq Khan or another member of the political wing of Hamas (aka the Labour Party) to make such a suggestion.

Who else wants to destroy our traditions?
    What an oddball
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    LenGlover said:
    Absolutely not.

You must be Sadiq Khan or another member of the political wing of Hamas (aka the Labour Party) to make such a suggestion.

What an oddball
    Assume you mean Sadiq?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 26
    arny23394 said:
    LenGlover said:
    Absolutely not.

What an oddball
    Assume you mean Sadiq?
    Red Red Robin anyone?
  • Options
    On Saturday Curbs had a story about a Tony Cottee anecdote (or did Curbs have an anecdote about a Tony Cotte story?), that when he used to play at the Valley he would get nervous with it being a derby game and the Valley being quite intimidating, then the Red Red Robin would come on and all his angst would immediately disappear. 

I'm still for keeping it though
  • Options
    Never change this. Change the music before it. Please do not play Nathan Jones.

Bring back "Let me Entertain you" etc. Was always good for building atmosphere.
  • Options
    edited February 26
    Gribbo said:
    On Saturday Curbs had a story about a Tony Cottee anecdote (or did Curbs have an anecdote about a Tony Cotte story?), that when he used to play at the Valley he would get nervous with it being a derby game and the Valley being quite intimidating, then the Red Red Robin would come on and all his angst would immediately disappear. 

Another poster said it was Tony Gale, who never played in Prem vs Charlton - in any event, same applies to Cottee, he never played against us in the Prem

Unless of course Curbs is saying Prem, when he actually means old Div 1, however even then, no Div 1 games were played at The Valley in the 80’s…..
    Cottee scored twice against us in our first season in the premier league for Leicester at the Valley in the League Cup

Just under 20,000 in attendance that night 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Happy days.

It was written in 1927 by Harry M. Woods.  Billy Cotton (a life long Charlton fan) recorded it in 1954.  I'm not sure when Charlton actually adopted it though.  The recording appeared on the other side of Hopalong Cassidy - although I'm not sure what the 'A' side was - not that this has anything to do with anything  :|

Billy Cotton featured in A Life less Ordinary (see below).  He was quite a character.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30333533 
    Michael Grade sits in West Lower - last season, I went up to him and asked, given the choice of London clubs, why he chose Charlton Athletic

He told me that when he was a boy, he told his Dad he wanted to go to a professional football match, and his Dad spoke to Michael Grade’s uncle, Lew Grade, to arrange it - Lew Grade was friends with Billy Cotton, and he got tickets to watch Charlton for Michael as, he was a Charlton fan, and also because he had just given Charlton permission to use his new recording of RRR at matches

Our nickname then was of course The Robins 
    Great story! I knew the recording we used was by Billy Cotton, but I thought he was American (it sounds like an old school American name I suppose). Great to learn that not only was he English but a Charlton fan too! 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Gribbo said:

Another poster said it was Tony Gale, who never played in Prem vs Charlton - in any event, same applies to Cottee, he never played against us in the Prem

Unless of course Curbs is saying Prem, when he actually means old Div 1, however even then, no Div 1 games were played at The Valley in the 80’s…..
    Cottee scored twice against us in our first season in the premier league for Leicester at the Valley in the League Cup

Wow - great knowledge, albeit not a derby match though 
  • Options
    Keep it...it could be worse.

Went to Oldham the other week and they play "Mouldy Old Dough!" (which I thought was brilliant BTW) 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Sorry, yeah Gale
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TomArchYT said:
    He only asked a question, not sure why anyone would need to get aggy 
    I didn’t realise I’d get this much backlash honestly. I just wanted to see people’s opinions on a few things I’ve heard in recent weeks/ months. There’s obviously a handful from the poll who think differently to others🤷‍♂️ 

As I’ve said in a lot of answers on here I don’t wanna see it get changed at all
    The 12% are most likely the same 12% who wanted Curb’s out. 
  • Options

To be honest, I’ve never really liked it that much and I first heard it early 1958..….however the thought of changing it would annoy me no end…..it may be a cheesy song and laughed at by other fans but it’s OUR cheesy song and that’s all there is to it.
    To The Tower with those who espouse such a crime and may their heads be smitten from their body in great haste.

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Gribbo said:

Aren’t they the team we’ve played against the most times? The eternal derby really. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Keep it...it could be worse.

Went to Oldham the other week and they play "Mouldy Old Dough!" (which I thought was brilliant BTW) 
    I like that. You can't buy class 🤣 That's me won over. Don't remember hearing it in their PL days though 🤔

I should say I don't feel affronted at being asked about RRR and welcome new contributors to this site. No harm done is there? 
  • Options
    edited February 26
    There's me tearing up on a Monday morning - I never want to see that song changed. Always reminds me of being at The Valley with my grandad singing it when I was in my teens and I'm 34 now and sing my heart out to it along with my younger brother.

One song I do miss before kick off is 'We're Gonna Win' by Bryan Adams - any chance we can get that back haha
  • Options

To be honest, I’ve never really liked it that much and I first heard it early 1958..….however the thought of changing it would annoy me no end…..it may be a cheesy song and laughed at by other fans but it’s OUR cheesy song and that’s all there is to it.
    To The Tower with those who espouse such a crime and may their heads be smitten from their body in great haste.

this for me, can't ever change it.

doesn't mean I still don't think it's a crap song though 
  • Options
    edited February 26
    Not a crap enough song to prevent plenty of artists covering the song.
    The songwriter Harry Woods was responsible for both words and music.
    Woods was one of three songwriting credits for ‘Try a Little Tenderness’  (#I know she may be weary, young girls do get weary#) which was a hit for the great Otis Redding, and featured heavily in the film ‘The Commitments’.
    For that connection alone it is a cool song. 
    Like a lot of people have said, the older I get the more I like it and sing it full on when the teams come out.
    I simply wish we had the version we used to play when Billy Cotton and his band spell out C-H-A-R-L-T-O-N And shout ‘ADDICKS AWAY’ at the end of the song.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    shirty5 said:
    Gribbo said:

Aren’t they the team we’ve played against the most times? The eternal derby really. 
    I thought the team we have played the most is Pompey 
  • Options
    I always assume there are a group of four teams that play each other the most. Us, Portsmouth, Huddersfield and Middlesboro.