Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD : Bolton Wanderers Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 17th February 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Southbank said:
    What I like about this is that if we are still in the game at 60, we can bring on Alfie and Aneke for Anderson and Kanu and have a very strong front three to rough up Bolton.
    And Camara to drive the ball forward.
  • Joking aside, Alfie’s not been right and Jones very much looks like he’s putting down markers. Problem I see though is your option for the last 20-30 is Chuks, so not sure where Alfie fits in.

Bring on both, not a problem being able to use 5 subs.
  • I'm intrigued by the inclusion of Tiny Tel. I wonder if his pace and directness are considered important in breaking Bolton's press.

Bakinson was poor on Tuesday, but surprised he'd left out entirely. It's good to see Coventry back but we are once again presented with the question of how he and Dobbo fit in a midfield together. Curious to see how Jones has them set up. But after last week when we were so poor in possession I understand the need for change. 

Maybe my biggest concern is looking at that front two and wondering if the ball will stick when it goes up to them. I do think May needs a breather. He must be mentally and physically knackered, and he's been bang out of form for a while. I wonder if the thinking is that anything we get against Bolton is a bonus, so throw some young players in the deep end and see how they do. 

It's a strong bench. Hope Camara is 60-70 minutes fit next weekend.
  • Hold out until the second half then bring the guns on: May, Aneke and Camara. 
  • edited February 17
    I think it’s a case of keep it tight and see off their perceived early dominance. Grind a way back into it and hit them with May and Aneke late on. Of course that all depends on our moth ridden defence keeping the plan credible. Quite where the creativity is I’m not sure.
  • Jones really doesn't like Edun does he? Another manager leaving Louie Watson out as well, they can't all be wrong I guess. The only one I am really not sure warrants a starting place is Anderson. I just don't and never have got the hype with him.
    Think he's just fed up like the rest of us of Edun mis-hitting crosses time after time when in a good position.
  • Like the lineup gives us a strong bench. 

Think Anderson is ahead of Dobson and Coventry, nothing else makes sense. 

Personally think we'll see a better performance.
  • ButtleJR said:
    No one is a guaranteed starter in that team. Alfie will come on angry and that's what we need. Ballsy selection from Jones but I like it.
    Alfie May doesn’t struggle with motivation. The bloke is a goalscorer. Ladopo is a passenger. 
    Maybe you’ll be proved right, but that feels harsh at this stage. He looked furious after his goal on Tuesday for some reason and I don’t get the sense that he’s going through the motions. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Joking aside, Alfie’s not been right and Jones very much looks like he’s putting down markers. Problem I see though is your option for the last 20-30 is Chuks, so not sure where Alfie fits in.

Bring on both, not a problem being able to use 5 subs.
    I don't like the change to allow 5 subs now, but it means you can plan in advance to swap players, in the same way that rugby teams do (as Curbs mentioned). Chuks and May coming off the bench would be a scary sight for any opposition defenders.
  • I can see Alfie playing off Chuks being lethal.
  • We need Lucky today.
  • Bolton comms saying they expect us to sit back and try and run down the clock!
  • We’re really gambling on still being in it by the time we bring on May & Aneke. Massive roll of the dice. 
  • That they hope the ref won’t stand it 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Here we’re go then. Good luck everyone. 
  • OK, I'm off for a couple of hours. Best of luck people, and I'll see you in the post-match thread
  • Sponsored links:

• Once again we are in Black, where is the clash today, RED IS THE COLOUR...
    It's sponsorship agreements.
  • Once again we are in Black, where is the clash today, RED IS THE COLOUR...
    How many times…
  • aliwibble said:
    OK, I'm off for a couple of hours. Best of luck people, and I'll see you in the post-match thread
    Afternoon nap...😴😴

• Early cross from T. Watson is just over the head of Kanu. Decent move down the Addicks right.
  • First attack come from us...nice
  • Good start for both wingbacks 
  • N/ton 1-0
  • edited February 17
    Not the worst cross from Watson into the box... Just behind the Strikers - Small did great to retreat, and hold off the Bolton player... Good strength from him
    1. 2'

Post update

Foul by Conor Coventry (Charlton Athletic).

2. 2'

Post update

Paris Maghoma (Bolton Wanderers) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!