Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wedding Reception Venue - any suggestions?

Evening all,

Just got married overseas, but was only a small affair and want to have a proper party in the summer back in London. Probably looking at roughly 100 guests. Aware that I'm organising this at fairly short notice so a lot of places will be booked already but, putting that aside, would be grateful for any advice on potential venues.

Informal event, no table settings or any of that, just a party with a DJ and maybe a couple of speeches at some point, finger food buffet and plenty of booze. Preferably South East London or Kent, but would consider further afield for the right option. 

Haven't really started researching yet. The Trafalgar in Greenwich was my first thought, have already attended a reception there which was good. Also think The Rivoli Ballroom in Crofton Park does private events occasionally - anyone got any experience of that? Also, I haven't ruled out The Valley - the website makes it sound quite good - but concerned about only having 14 chips between 100 guests and am worried about putting the Charlton curse on my marriage. Would be interested to know if anyone else had done an event there.

Anyway, all suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations btw 
  • Options
    How about The Millers?
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Evening all,

Just got married overseas, but was only a small affair and want to have a proper party in the summer back in London. Probably looking at roughly 100 guests. Aware that I'm organising this at fairly short notice so a lot of places will be booked already but, putting that aside, would be grateful for any advice on potential venues.

Informal event, no table settings or any of that, just a party with a DJ and maybe a couple of speeches at some point, finger food buffet and plenty of booze. Preferably South East London or Kent, but would consider further afield for the right option. 

Haven't really started researching yet. The Trafalgar in Greenwich was my first thought, have already attended a reception there which was good. Also think The Rivoli Ballroom in Crofton Park does private events occasionally - anyone got any experience of that? Also, I haven't ruled out The Valley - the website makes it sound quite good - but concerned about only having 14 chips between 100 guests and am worried about putting the Charlton curse on my marriage. Would be interested to know if anyone else had done an event there.

Anyway, all suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
    Stick with what you know, The Trafalgar.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Browns 
    Think that would be more a "fingering buffet" than a "finger food buffet". Nevertheless, they do have a DJ so it's going on the shortlist.
    Jeremy Beadle went for the small finger buffet when he was there.
  • Options
    The Valley  = just take charge of what food you want etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Den
  • Options
    Tudor barn did a very nice spread for my mates little girls christening a few years back.
  • Options
    Going on what you set out. Worth having a look at the following depending on budgets:

Trafalgar 
    Danson Boathouse
    Tudor Barn Eltham
    Birchwood Golf Club
    Eltham Palace’s Great Hall 
    Bulls Head Chiselhurst 
    Bickley Manor
    Alexandra Suite Swanley
    Greenwich Yacht Club
    Dartford FC

Good luck. For buffet purposes, I have no dietary requirements or allergies, but I do get pissed relatively quickly these days 

That's brilliant, thank you!

(Comments noted re buffet, and I'll tell them to water the beers down a bit)
  • Options

Rowhill Grange 
  • Options
    The Cutty Sark
  • Options
    Chislehurst Golf club is a great venue and not too pricey. 
    Was Napoleon 3rd’s home in England whilst exiled. 
    Probably around the same time we last were
    happy as Charlton supporters. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    Congrats. Is it the bird from that holiday back in the day?
    You mean the dreadlocked, American shopping addict that loves very sweary gangster rap and doesn't understand the concept of going out for a drink and that I spent the worst 9 days of my live with in Mexico a few years back?

I have been tempted a few times to give her a ring, primarily to double-check that she doesn't know where I live. But, from a romantic perspective I reluctantly accepted it wasn't going anywhere except into the pits of hell. So I've ended up marrying someone slightly less mental instead, who has vowed never to braid her hair. Admittedly she does like shopping, but she understands that I like pubs so she only goes in shops that are within 200 yards of a pub. 
    Sounds like you hit the jackpot. Congrats fella
  • Options
    The Knowle Country House….Higham near Rochester.
    Superb wedding venue.
  • Options
    The Trafalgar is a great spot. 

The Enderby further down is lovely but only up to 60 people.

i really like the Oyster Catcher, the other side of the Sail Loft. And they do private functions/ weddings. Looks like they also own the Admiral Hardy which has a large upstairs function room too and holds 150! I have never been upstairs tho 

https://oystercatchergreenwich.co.uk/

and I went to a party at the Greenwich (Charlton) yacht club. Very good venue. Only members can rent the part out on the stilts tho. I believe. Worth a look tho.

https://www.greenwichyachtclub.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page 
  • Options
    Wadhurst Castle.
  • Options
    The city is dead on a Saturday. 

The Counting house let you have it for free if you spend a decent amount on the bar, easy met. 

Loads of city pubs do the same.

Worth a look 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    The Trafalgar is a great spot. 

The Enderby further down is lovely but only up to 60 people.

i really like the Oyster Catcher, the other side of the Sail Loft. And they do private functions/ weddings. Looks like they also own the Admiral Hardy which has a large upstairs function room too and holds 150! I have never been upstairs tho 

https://oystercatchergreenwich.co.uk/

and I went to a party at the Greenwich (Charlton) yacht club. Very good venue. Only members can rent the part out on the stilts tho. I believe. Worth a look tho.

https://www.greenwichyachtclub.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page 
    Thank you, very helpful. Just been having a look at the Yacht Club - I think members get a heavily discounted rate but everything's available to non members if you don't mind paying. Oystercatcher I hadn't thought of, will take a look. 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    The city is dead on a Saturday. 

The Counting house let you have it for free if you spend a decent amount on the bar, easy met. 

Loads of city pubs do the same.

Worth a look 
    Thank you, hadn't thought of that. Great shout.
  • Options
    Hall Place Bexley, Great Hall is beautiful. Lovely gardens and an historic Jacobean building. Black Prince hotel close for guests.