Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

King Charles III diagnosed with cancer

Comments

• Options
    edited February 5
    Shocking news indeed.  He will be in good hands i am sure.  God save the King.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.  Constitutional problems ahead unless His Majesty recovers.  
    What makes you say that Chizz?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Chizz said:
    Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.  Constitutional problems ahead unless His Majesty recovers.  
    Not huge constitutional problems, but little snags that will need to be ironed out. 

Under the Regency Act, the Monarch's spouse and the first four adults in line of succession can stand in for the monarch, if he's incapacitated in any way (eg if he's too ill to work, or it he's out of the country). 

Charles asked Parliament to change the law in 2022, so that he could add his sister and his youngest brother to the list. 

So, this means, at the very least, the law will have to be changed again, when (if) William succeeds him. (William has no equivalents as sister or youngest brother (Harry is already on the list)). 

But if Charles remains incapacitated for a period of time, there may be political or public pressure opposing the current list of Counsellors of State to remain, especially if Her Majesty the Queen's health deteriorates. If that were to happen, we'd have the odd position of Parliament answerable to Harry, Andrew, Anne, Edward, William and - bizarrely - Beatrice. 

And, if William becomes King before George reaches 18, his Counselors of State would be Catherine, Harry, Mrs. Mapelli Mozzi and Mrs Brooksbank. 

That's not a very sustainable look if we want to be perceived as a forward-thinking democracy. 
  • Options
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery. 
  • Options
    Get well soon King Charles, hoping for a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    edited February 6
    Chizz said:
    aliwibble said:
    Chizz said:
    Not huge constitutional problems, but little snags that will need to be ironed out. 

Under the Regency Act, the Monarch's spouse and the first four adults in line of succession can stand in for the monarch, if he's incapacitated in any way (eg if he's too ill to work, or it he's out of the country). 

Charles asked Parliament to change the law in 2022, so that he could add his sister and his youngest brother to the list. 

So, this means, at the very least, the law will have to be changed again, when (if) William succeeds him. (William has no equivalents as sister or youngest brother (Harry is already on the list)). 

But if Charles remains incapacitated for a period of time, there may be political or public pressure opposing the current list of Counsellors of State to remain, especially if Her Majesty the Queen's health deteriorates. If that were to happen, we'd have the odd position of Parliament answerable to Harry, Andrew, Anne, Edward, William and - bizarrely - Beatrice. 

And, if William becomes King before George reaches 18, his Counselors of State would be Catherine, Harry, Mrs. Mapelli Mozzi and Mrs Brooksbank. 

That's not a very sustainable look if we want to be perceived as a forward-thinking democracy. 
    V interesting. Thanks 

That latter list is only spouse + 3. Who would the 4th be? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    aliwibble said:
    Chizz said:

V interesting. Thanks 

That latter list is only spouse + 3. Who would the 4th be? 
    You're right, there's one missing. The additional person is the Duke of Edinburgh. 

(Apologies to @aliwibble who may be thinking of the previous one again).
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    If he doesn’t recover, we get a new king. No problems.

if he’s too ill to do his tasks, others do it in his name, e.g., Camilla, William, Anne, Edward, but not Andy or Harry. Again, no problems. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

if he’s too ill to do his tasks, others do it in his name, e.g., Camilla, William, Anne, Edward, but not Andy or Harry. Again, no problems. 
    Except that Andrew, Harry and Beatrice are included. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope he recovers quickly and smoothly. Appears to have been caught early if the news alert I got this morning is accurate.

I'd like to echo the praise of his openness on the matter - someone so high profile raising awareness of aspects of men's health that aren't talked about enough is a very good thing.
  • Options
    edited February 6
    Does anyone ever lift up the rock and look at the Instagram page of Meghan Markle supporters. There truly are some vile pieces of work saying the most disgusting things under that rock. Apparently Charles' cancer is karma for what he's done to her and Harry, and not forgetting Harry's sainted mother. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Rudders22 said:
    Prince Harry is coming over to see him in the next few days. 
    Usually fairly serious if the family fly in 
    More a bit of look at me... I am flying in from California! Or am I just being a cynic
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    sam3110 said:
    Rudders22 said:
    Usually fairly serious if the family fly in 
    More a bit of look at me... I am flying in from California! Or am I just being a cynic
    Maybe his Dads just been diagnosed with cancer so he wants to come and see him?
    Exactly 
  • Options
    When I look at dictatorships by powerful individuals, and I include in that elected dictators such as an almost omnipotent President, then I quite like the notion of a constitutional Monarchy that has the power if it so chooses to keep the politicians in check.
    So as long as the Royals don’t become nutters they have a useful constitutional role to fill, and to an extent their accident of birth constitutes a kind of prison. Hence the compensation of luxury.
    King Charles strikes me as somebody who realises his moderating role, and William might well be the same. I have no idea what George will be like, and anyway I won’t live to see it.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I think you will find that Andrew wasn't added to the list in 2022
  • Options
    Zero chance of Andrew popping up anywhere as a representative of the monarch. Absolutely zero.
  • Options
    Zero chance of Andrew popping up anywhere as a representative of the monarch. Absolutely zero.
    Hmmm.

Maybe someone should tell him ..... :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spearmint Rihno?
    Local girls 6th form college.
  • Options
    Spearmint Rihno?
    Spearmint Rihno?
    Local girls 6th form college.
    Both possible but not as representative of the King.
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Flown in today. Makes me think this is more to it. Not expecting Chalres to keel over anytime soon but more than they are making out.
  • Options
    Don't give him any ideas about "popping up" anywhere...
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Flown in today. Makes me think this is more to it. Not expecting Chalres to keel over anytime soon but more than they are making out.
    I mean, he is a wealthy individual with no work commitments - so jumping on a plane on a whim is not the major upheaval it would be for the likes of us ordinary folk with proper jobs. 
  • Options
    edited February 7
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Included in what?  Certainly not the list of people who can stand in for Charlie on Royal duties. Beatrice I’ve no idea about. 
  • Options
    I wish him the best. It is a good thing this has been highlighted for the health of all. Now, and I have this gripe about unrelated stories. It is of course a major news item and should be treated as such, but what do we know? We know that whilst being treated for an enlarged prostate, the doctors found cancer elsewhere. We don't know how serious this is although we know the king intends to resume his duties so it would seem treatable. We also know the Prince of Wales will cover his duties whilst he is away. That's about it but our press manage to saturate the airwaves talking about this information that can fit in a paragraph, endlessly!