Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League One Relegation Watch 2024

Comments

• This has the all the hallmarks of a relegation season. The whys and wherefores don't really matter at this point. We are solely reliant on Nathan Jones having a blinder
  • edited February 4
    Everything has been underestimated, from start to finish, from people saying that this is a weak league, well if it’s a weaker league, just how rubbish are we then?

From Getting shot of CBT , oh don’t worry where we’re going we don’t need wingers (sounds like a scene from back to the future).

You couldn’t make this kind of stuff up, it’s almost like they want to get us relegated.

Why bring NJ in now?

Why not before the window opened, so he could have had a chance / say in bringing players in.

All smacks of poor decision making at the top as a collective.

Appleton has screwed us up rotten, and should never have been appointed.

I expected much at the start of this season, I thought we were going to break the shekels of mid table obscurity, well it looks like we are with 4th division football to ‘enjoy’.

Rant over, I refuse to do it at a match, and I can’t bring myself to go to Reading next weekend, the stress is too much, I’m going to watch a film, or a lie in a darkened room somewhere.
  • Or you could come on the match day thread and suffer with the rest of us 🥴
  • TEL said:
    We are going to need to go on a run equivalent to a team pushing for promotion to get out of this mess. 

Didn't realise we had played 39 different players this season. That statistic alone proves that those running the day to day footballing side are not up to the job they are employed to do. Abysmal is an understatement. 
    That's a bit dramatic. We're not even in the relegation zone (yet) but you're talking like we're 10 points from safety and needing a miracle.
  • msomerton said:
    people keep saying how good the players in our squad are. But we are still 3pts from relegation, I do not believe that the squad is that good.
    Maybe we get these because they are passed their use by date, they are crocks trying to prove they are not, are youth players not cutting it in their own teams etc.
    It is want it feels like for the last 4 or 5 seasons.
    We do have a lot of good players. The problem is the recruitment hasn’t tried to build a squad of players who work together. They have just brought in random individuals without caring how a manager/coach can build them into a working squad. 
  • edited February 4
    I think the magic number of points to stay up 50, looking at figures from StatZone last year. 3 teams have gone down with 50 points over the past 10 years, others with 46 & 47. Tranmere went down with 31 in 19/20 but that was Covid year so might have been based on PPG

Taking 50 points as a marker that would mean us needing another 19 points from 16 games- so 5 wins & 4 draws. or 6 wins & 1 draws (unlikely). Doable, but we've not won in 12 so expecting us to win 5 out of our last 16 is pushing things.

However, it might mean we only need 46 or 47 point to stay up - the bottom 2 I think we can count out & only counting Cheltenham in the mix as they have 2 game sin hand AND they had a terrible start to the season & are (maybe) in a slightly false position (where would we be if we hadn't scored for the first 10 games).

Realistically I think we are "fighting" (if that's the right word) for one place , with Reading, PV as our current nearest rivals, but conceivably anyone in the bottom half of the table (up to Wigan) could be dragged into it.

Actually, now having analysed it, I am a bit more confident we can stay up. 

• edited February 4
    Still think we’ll be fine.

IF it did happen, there should be studies done on our season because getting relegated from League One with:
    - Alfie May,
    - Freddie Ladapo,
    - Tyreeq Bakinson,
    - Conor Coventry,
    - George Dobson,
    - Corey Blackett-Taylor,
    - Scott Fraser,
    - Miles Leaburn,
    - Chuks Aneke,
    - Panutche Camara,
    - Lewis Fiorini,
    - Michael Hector,
    - Rarmani Edmonds-Green,
    - Macauley Gillesphey,
    - Lloyd Jones
    in your squad at various points of a 46 game season is genuinely unfathomable.
    It's not unfathomable and it isn't worth a study, you are severely overrating our squad. 

There are a few players in that list that wouldn't look out place in a top6 side, that's about it. 

I can do the study for you, one manager who had no business being appointed Charlton manager, was given the job, and then the same thing happened again, and then that manager was given about 28 games too many. 

The teams around us have more quality than I think you realise, there are players in teams below us, and just above us, that stroll into our team. 
    Strongly disagree with this.

They’re not showing it in Charlton red, we all accept that.

But there are multiple promotions out of this division, and hundreds of Championship appearances, littered throughout the group I’ve listed. They should not be struggling as badly as they are, but that’s where we are. That’s the mystery.

On your last point, I think there are players from teams around us that look very good not playing for us but as soon as they turned up, they’d turn into stinkers. And I reckon if the likes of Fiorini or Bakinson or Ladapo went to Port Vale for instance, they’d be playing a hell of a lot better for them than they do for us.
    Promotions and championship appearances does not always equate to a player being good. Players can find themselves in decent setups through luck and timing. Think back to how many poor players represented us in the championship in the Roland era. Bowyer had Bonne and Davison up top in the championship, nowhere near good enough for the championship the pair of them. 

Mark Marshall and Ben Reeves got promoted with us 18/19, do you honestly think the following season, either one of them would have been regular starters for a league 1 promotion chasing side? Cause I don't. Sometimes players get carried to their accolades.

What are you suggesting by your last paragraph Cal? That we genuinely have some sort of curse going on at CAFC? 
  • edited February 4
    NabySarr said:

IF it did happen, there should be studies done on our season because getting relegated from League One with:
    - Alfie May,
    - Freddie Ladapo,
    - Tyreeq Bakinson,
    - Conor Coventry,
    - George Dobson,
    - Corey Blackett-Taylor,
    - Scott Fraser,
    - Miles Leaburn,
    - Chuks Aneke,
    - Panutche Camara,
    - Lewis Fiorini,
    - Michael Hector,
    - Rarmani Edmonds-Green,
    - Macauley Gillesphey,
    - Lloyd Jones
    It's not unfathomable and it isn't worth a study, you are severely overrating our squad. 

There are a few players in that list that wouldn't look out place in a top6 side, that's about it. 

I can do the study for you, one manager who had no business being appointed Charlton manager, was given the job, and then the same thing happened again, and then that manager was given about 28 games too many. 

The teams around us have more quality than I think you realise, there are players in teams below us, and just above us, that stroll into our team. 
    How come loads of them have played in top 6 league 1 and/or championship teams and have not looked out of place? 

That applies to Isted, REG, Gillesphey, Coventry, Bakinson, Edun, T.Watson, Camara, Fiorini, Ladpao 

Other than Bakinson who was more of a squad player at Sheff Wed/Ipswich, all of the above have been starters for top 6 league 1 teams or championship sides in recent years. They shouldn’t be this bad and hopefully a decent manager can sort that out 
    I don't believe it applies to any player you have said.

Isted has been unlucky here and not had proper chance so I reserve judgment on him, REG was a bit part championship struggler, he's probably now found his level, Coventry didn't perform in the championship and only had a decent spell in this league once (although I like the look of him), Bakinson has been sent here for a reason, Blackburns comments on Edun were mostly 'should do a job in league 1' which is the classic backhand compliment and not being aware of a league other than your own.  

T.Watson wasn't a player with a massive reputation of being a good right back, Camara is very good just suffering from injuries, Fiorini is a Man City money laundering player imo and Ladapo is evidently good, just out of form.

So out of all the players you've said, the only ones we knew beyond doubt, that would perform at this level, would be Ladapo and Camara imo, unfortunately one is out of form and the other is crocked. 

They were never proper glamorous signings, apart from maybe 3 or 4. I've seen clubs with lesser budgets makes better moves in the transfer window consistently for years.
  • NabySarr said:

- Alfie May,
    - Freddie Ladapo,
    - Tyreeq Bakinson,
    - Conor Coventry,
    - George Dobson,
    - Corey Blackett-Taylor,
    - Scott Fraser,
    - Miles Leaburn,
    - Chuks Aneke,
    - Panutche Camara,
    - Lewis Fiorini,
    - Michael Hector,
    - Rarmani Edmonds-Green,
    - Macauley Gillesphey,
    - Lloyd Jones

How come loads of them have played in top 6 league 1 and/or championship teams and have not looked out of place? 

That applies to Isted, REG, Gillesphey, Coventry, Bakinson, Edun, T.Watson, Camara, Fiorini, Ladpao 

Other than Bakinson who was more of a squad player at Sheff Wed/Ipswich, all of the above have been starters for top 6 league 1 teams or championship sides in recent years. They shouldn’t be this bad and hopefully a decent manager can sort that out 
    I don't believe it applies to any player you have said.

Isted has been unlucky here and not had proper chance so I reserve judgment on him, REG was a bit part championship struggler, he's probably now found his level, Coventry didn't perform in the championship and only had a decent spell in this league once (although I like the look of him), Bakinson has been sent here for a reason, Blackburns comments were mostly 'should do a job in league 1' which is the classic backhand compliment and not being aware of a league other than your own.  

T.Watson wasn't a player with a massive reputation of being a good right back, Camara is very good just suffering from injuries, Fiorini is a Man City money laundering player imo and Ladapo is evidently good, just out of form.

So out of all the players you've said, the only ones we knew beyond doubt, that would perform at this level, would be Ladapo and Camara imo, unfortunately one is out of form and the other is crocked. 

They were never proper glamorous signings, apart from maybe 3 or 4. I've seen clubs with lesser budgets makes better moves in the transfer window consistently for years.
    Sadly, I think you’re right. 
    Maybe the two most recent signings will be decent, but the problem we have, and have had for a few years, is if they were really good, why would they be so keen to join Charlton? 
    Maybe if Jones can get us playing properly, and we lose our reputation as a soft touch, then perhaps he can change that narrative. 

• Bromley v Charlton at Ben Hayes lane is becoming a real possibility next season 🤦🏻‍♂️
    Finally a match I can walk to. 

And I'll rent out my parking space for a fiver if anyone's interested 😄.
    I might be, but what time does the barrier come down? I'd hate to get locked in and end up looking like a right plum

• Sponsored links:

• Just had £30 on us top half 5/1 sky bet. Coyr
  • TELTEL
    edited February 5
    TEL said:
    We are going to need to go on a run equivalent to a team pushing for promotion to get out of this mess. 

Didn't realise we had played 39 different players this season. That statistic alone proves that those running the day to day footballing side are not up to the job they are employed to do. Abysmal is an understatement. 
    That's a bit dramatic. We're not even in the relegation zone (yet) but you're talking like we're 10 points from safety and needing a miracle.
    Try looking at the table and seeing the games in hand the other teams have and the upcoming fixtures before telling me I'm being dramatic. 
  • edited February 5
    TEL said:
    TEL said:

Try looking at the table and seeing the games in hand the other teams have and the upcoming fixtures before telling me I'm being dramatic. 
    It won’t take promotion form of 2 points per game to be safe, we’d finish mid table with over 60 points if we achieved that. Getting to 50 has been enough over the last few seasons.

If the clubs below us start winning that’ll drag others above us down. If not there will be clubs stuck in bottom 2 or 3. Not everyone will go on a good run of form as teams will have to play each other.
  • cazo said:
    Just had £30 on us top half 5/1 sky bet. Coyr

• It’s a cliche but the outcome is completely in our own hands. Our squad has underperformed for weeks but prior to that showed we have enough to stay up if not challenge. Jones ought to be able to cajole, threaten and coach enough into them to keep us up. 
  • TEL said:
    TEL said:

I reckon we'll be in the relegation zone by the end of February.

Then 4 away games in March will be hard.
  • TEL said:
    TEL said:

I reckon we'll be in the relegation zone by the end of February.

Then 4 away games in March will be hard.
    I reckon we'll be in the relegation zone by the end of Saturday
  • When you start looking at the games that the other bottom teams have got, you know you are taking relegation seriously.
  • Make no mistake about it we are in deep doodoo.  The stink of relegation is sticking to this group of players.

At least I would of seen my beloved Charlton in all four senior professional English leagues in my lifetime... 

Nah?  
  • Sponsored links:

• Make no mistake about it we are in deep doodoo.  The stink of relegation is sticking to this group of players.

At least I would of seen my beloved Charlton in all four senior professional English leagues in my lifetime... 

Nah?  
    Some new grounds as well.

Nah?  
    Some new grounds as well.
    Every silver lining has a cloud
  • When you start looking at the games that the other bottom teams have got, you know you are taking relegation seriously.
    Starting Tuesday 6th 2024

Port Vale v Orient. 
    Stevenage v Reading
    Bristol Rovers v Fleetwood
    Burton v Cheltenham 

Saturday 10th Feb 2024

Cambridge v Cheltenham 
    Lincoln v Fleetwood
    Port Vale v Stevenage
    Reading v Charlton

Tuesday 13th Feb 2024

Charlton v Lincoln
    Cheltenham v Blackpool
    Fleetwood v Reading 
    Peterbrough v Port Vale

you don’t want to see the rest of the month.

Trust we are out of the Black.Stuff after above games.

Yep - didn’t think we’d be hoping teams like the Os and Stevenage can do us a favour in a league 1 relegation battle 
  • This thread needs @oohaahmortimer to give us his relegation percentages. 
    18% Relegation and the new ground freak show get moist
    82% League One excitement next season
    Thank you. I'd have us at 55% for the drop so you've given me a boost. Mind you I'm also part of the freak show getting nice and moist for Salford and Harrogate. 
  • edited February 5
    The state of play: 

18 Burton Albion.      30 8 8 14 25 39 -14 32
    19 Charlton Athletic 30 7 10 13 43 46 -3 31
    20 Port Vale               27 8 6 13 28 42 -14 30

21 Reading                  29 8 8 13 37 44 -7 28
    22 Cheltenham Town 28 6 5 17 21 40 -19 23
    23 Fleetwood Town.  29 5 7 17 28 50 -22 22
    24 Carlisle United.      30 4 8 18 26 50 -24 20

Games tomorrow: 

Burton Albion v Cheltenham 
    Port Vale v Leyton Orient 
    Stevenage v Reading
  • The state of play: 

Games tomorrow: 

Stevenage v Reading
    Can see Port Vale winning, Reading will be happy with a point.
  • edited February 6
    The state of play: 

Games tomorrow: 

Stevenage v Reading
    Vale are very poor defensively and now without Ikpeazu for next 10 to 12 weeks, their fans are not overly confident so hope your wrong. Reading will be lucky to get a point 😉
  • RedChaser said:
    The state of play: 

Games tomorrow: 

Stevenage v Reading
    Vale are very poor defensively and now without Ikpeazu for next 10 to 12 weeks, their fans are not overly confident so hope your wrong. Reading will be lucky to get a point 😉
    New manager bounce though, think Vale will win.