Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gavin Carter "It's a long-term project"

Heather McKinlay's interview with CAFC Director (and CAST member) Gavin Carter

https://www.castrust.org/2024/02/gavin-carter-its-a-long-term-project/

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2
    Probably the most transparency we’ve had from the ownership group so far. Good interview and he seems genuine. Only concern is he/they think it’s OK to sit in League One for another 3-5 years. It’s not. If that happens the club will lose even more money and won’t attract the next generation of fans. 
  • Options
    Speaks quite well, not sure he's judged Elon Musk very well though!
  • Options
    Probably the most transparency we’ve had from the ownership group so far. Good interview and he seems genuine. Only concern is he/they think it’s OK to sit in League One for another 3-5 years. It’s not. If that happens the club will lose even more money and won’t attract the next generation of fans. 
    Reckon it's more planning for the worst case scenario, working towards the best case scenario 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah 3 - 5 years is concerning but cannot believe a manager like Jones would be signing up to spend that long in the third tier. 
  • Options
    Excellent interview 
  • Options
    I was initially taken aback by that. He clarified it is not the plan / aim but he wanted to demonstrate that the owners are here for the long term so if that ends up being the reality, they are prepared for it. I agree it would make it hugely difficult in terms of any development of fanbase / community engagement. 
    Thanks for taking the time to do it
  • Options
    I read that and was pleasantly surprised by his answers (don't agree about Musk though!), its good to have an actual fan involved in the running and money side of the club. He's honesty that if it takes 3-5 to get out of the League was, in a way, trying to reassure the fanbase that they are in it for the long term. Obviously if they can get promoted quicker then that they will. If, as has been reported, they have decided to go for Jones as the next manager, that is a huge investment as he wont come cheap!
    Lets now see what transpires in the next few days/weeks, then we can judge if we really do have 'owners that care and want to bring success in the long-term' - appointing Jones would be a big step forward.
  • Options
    edited February 2
    I do not understand how the board can hold the executive to account when it is substantially the same people.

Gavin Carter may well have a rule to play in that and speaks well, but we’ve heard Paul Elliott on the recent stream and what authority would he have anyway? What are the roles of Charlie Methven and Simon Lenegan who are not on that board?

I don’t think the account provided of the decision making structure is credible - even if it’s sincere.
  • Options
    It's obvious the plan is not to spend yet another 3-5 years in the Third Division.

Carter has told us that it's considered vital to first build sustainability, rather risk everything trying for instant promotion with the prospect of immediate relegation, followed by years of 'mediocre mid-table obscurity' in this Division playing Burton, Port Vale and Cambridge.

I can't see another hopelessly under-achieving season like this one will be tolerated next year.
    Proof of the pudding and all that ......... :)

• Options
    Good interview, sincere enough fellow , but the next manager appointment is crucial as well as them being backed sensibly, lots of mistakes have been made that need rectifying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    So the jam tomorrow is five years away.

I reckon I am too old to see that day anyway.

As for admiration for Musk. Didn’t he set up pay pal (something I don’t know or care about) which seems to be a licence to print money so well done him?
    But he is also the owner of  twitter often described as a cesspit.

I wish Gavin Carter had said positive words about Sadiq Khan, or Medecines sans Frontiers, or William Shakespeare instead of Musk.
    Why pick on 5 yrs away? He said it could take 3-5 yrs, but they hope it'll be sooner. He's being realistic and not setting silly plans of being in Europe in 5 yrs!
    Bloody hell mate, we have a proper Chatlton fan as one of the owners, for the first time in years, stop being so negative about everything, it must be exhausting!
    Whether you like it or not, and from many of your posts I guess it's the latter, let's give these guys a chance, some of this fanbase is so quick to condemn and pick out the negatives.
    I know you want to know who owns what % and why etc etc, but in the scheme of things it's not important, what's important is owners getting this club back on an even footing and progressing, not making unrealistic soundbites, and I don't think Carter is doing that.

I might be reading this wrong, but haven’t we already given these guys a chance and we’re on our third manager under them and living with the threat of relegation?
    If 3-5 years is meaningless then don’t say it at all.
    It puts me in mind of a certain politician saying the benefits of a 48/52 vote won’t be seen for fifty years.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:

Said NOBODY. 
    Wrong. I said it after reading the interview.
  • Options
    Nice to have some comment from the 'owners' I guess. Usual PR fluff in reality but nothing to obviously dislike / take exception to.

Owners not investors remains to be proven and can only truly be seen in time.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:

Said NOBODY. 
    OK. How about, said NOBODY IMPORTANT OR WITH ANY KNOWLEDGE ON THE SUBJECT.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    The Trust in the past did interviews with Meire, Southall and Sandgaard in the past and got very positive reviews on here.

Actions and results is all they should be judged on
    Interview with Southall

https://www.castrust.org/2020/01/cast-meets-the-man-in-the-chair/
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

I reckon I am too old to see that day anyway.

As for admiration for Musk. Didn’t he set up pay pal (something I don’t know or care about) which seems to be a licence to print money so well done him?
    But he is also the owner of  twitter often described as a cesspit.

I wish Gavin Carter had said positive words about Sadiq Khan, or Medecines sans Frontiers, or William Shakespeare instead of Musk.
    Why pick on 5 yrs away? He said it could take 3-5 yrs, but they hope it'll be sooner. He's being realistic and not setting silly plans of being in Europe in 5 yrs!
    Bloody hell mate, we have a proper Chatlton fan as one of the owners, for the first time in years, stop being so negative about everything, it must be exhausting!
    Whether you like it or not, and from many of your posts I guess it's the latter, let's give these guys a chance, some of this fanbase is so quick to condemn and pick out the negatives.
    I know you want to know who owns what % and why etc etc, but in the scheme of things it's not important, what's important is owners getting this club back on an even footing and progressing, not making unrealistic soundbites, and I don't think Carter is doing that.

I might be reading this wrong, but haven’t we already given these guys a chance and we’re on our third manager under them and living with the threat of relegation?
    If 3-5 years is meaningless then don’t say it at all.
    It puts me in mind of a certain politician saying the benefits of a 48/52 vote won’t be seen for fifty years.
    You've given them 7 months! Yes they've screwed up in terms of managers,  but if Jones is coming in that's a huge step forward! 
    For all we know having Holden and Applegate may have been the SMT telling Carter and Co that's the way to go, now, it appears, the owners have made the decision, this time, and lumped money on Jones, which is by far and away the best managerial appointment in years! They may even give some of the SMT their marching orders in due course, we just don't know!
    They are trying to turn a failing business around, one that has been failing for years, it takes bloody time and 7 months is sod all in the scheme of things.
    Let's see what Jones, if it is him, can do over the next 18 months, you might be pleasantly surprised!
    One final point, Carter has given a time line of a plan, would you have preferred him to say "I don't know how long as we haven't got a clue/plan"?
    To be fair, even if you take the view that they had no involvement before July, we’ve gone backwards in that seven months and it’s not just the managerial appointment that they’ve screwed up. The evidence suggests that the August transfer window and commentary around it was also poor, despite the excitement around it at the time. There has also been an amount of rubbish spoken about the business and the playing side on the record by Methven. Comms have been poor generally.

I think Gavin Carter’s narrative is promising and Nathan Jones is as good an appointment as we could get, but let’s not pretend the last seven months haven’t been a mess. We just don’t know how realistic the owners’ understanding of the business is, but the executive needs to do better - much better.
    I think that the owners agree with you, hence getting involved, the owners are paying the senior management team a lot of money and given them a lot authority to employe who they think are the correct people, they the SMT haven’t made good decisions and now the owners feel they have to get involved and after 7 months they will be decidedly unimpressed with the SMT, and will have let there feelings known, would never surprise if some of the SMT are quietly replaced before the next transfer window creaks open.  

As I have stated previously I have been in a similar position to the owners, so I suppose I look it slightly differently than most.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:

Said NOBODY. 
    OK. How about, said NOBODY IMPORTANT OR WITH ANY KNOWLEDGE ON THE SUBJECT.
    Or ‘let’s get back to the personals’ towards one of my favourite targets’. In capital letters no less!
    What is the common thing bullies say about their targets? ‘They bring it on themselves’, If the target of bullying complains they’re accused of ‘playing the victim’.
    Find one post of yours that I have quoted and accompanied with personals,