Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rate our window - January 2024

Using the 1 to 10 used on the player ratings score our just finished window overall on the ìncomings and the outgoings.

In
Perm - Coventry, Gillesphey, Edmonds-Green, Ward, Ramsey
Loans - Bakinson, Fiorini, Ladapo

Out
Kirk, Walker, Tedic loan return, C.Campell loan return, CBT, Abankwah loan return, Fraser loan, McGrandles loan

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2
    8 decent acquisitions but still feel like we are missing important pieces of the jigsaw.

• Options
    I’d give it an 8, probably better than i expected but would have still liked a left wing back and a number 10 / striker.
  • Options
    7/10 - Feel we need another experienced target man (hope Aneke can remain fit). Shame CBT's gone but inevitable, happy Dobbo's got at least to the end of the season (or has he still got some time to go to Hungary?), we need a #10 but May/L Watson can fulfil that role if needed - 3 or 4 of the younger players need a loan.
  • Options
    Hopefully Jones takes the manager's job and keeps us up.
    Then he needs to be able to bring in his own backroom team.
    If that means some of our coaches are released so be it.
    He must then be fully backed in the transfer market in the summer as we need far better than we currently have if we are to go up next season. 
  • Options
    6.5 I’m pleased the worst squad in our history (imo) got a shake up. Coventry and Ramsey sound promising going forward. That said I don’t think we replaced our two biggest departures (CBT & Fraser) and we are now hugely reliant on Chuks, Camara and Taylor becoming and remaining fit. 
    If something happens to Alfie gawd help us. Let’s hope Nathan Jones can get this mob moving in the right direction as the possibility of relegation is still very real. 
  • Options
    Have we done enough to stay up?

Cant believe I’m typing this, 
  • Options
    edited February 2
    6. Needed to address the defence and, theoretically, we have but it's not been proven yet. Hopefully sets us up for less work to do in the summer in preparation for a promotion push.

Shame to lose CBT but we really don't have the squad to accommodate his position and I'd rather build a team around May. At least we got a fee for him.
  • Options
    8/10 , addressed the key weak areas with players that know the division , only knock is not signing an attacking midfielder/creative player but that felt like it would have been an icing on the cake move if we had pulled off the Collins deal. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2
    4 out of 10. 

As said on the other thread, we have just gone about neutral in players in and out. There's no obvious, standout strengthening, as a lot of the signings are unproven, unfit or lacking match sharpness, with only 17 games to go, we could have done with players who are actually in a bit of form.

We lost CBT, who we look hopeless without most games and haven't replaced him.

We didn't sign anyone to create chances from open play.

We didn't sign the Pearcey type centre back who we are probably going to need fighting for points. Admittedly Gillesphey sounds promising, but he is a different type of option at centre back.

All of our goalkeeping options are very shoddy, except Isted, who can hopefully replicate his Barnsley form.

I just don't think we did enough to actually guarantee survival, and during February, we will more than likely be banking on the teams below us not picking up points. 

Hopefully I am very wrong, Jones comes in and this team looks completely different, however, I've watched this lot over 30 times this season and they're pretty much all shit bar the likes of May & Dobson. 
  • Options
    We let 5 attacking players go (most of them poor admittedly) and bought in 2, neither of whom are fit.
    Of the defenders we bought in it is not yet clear if any are the leader we need.
    So I would say the jury is not just out, it has been sent home until the trial  properly starts.
  • Options
    edited February 2
    7 Overall (a busy January)

Players out 9 (mark deducted for not preventing CBT playing given it's a 'loan'. No argument with the rest who've underperformed and we retained Dobbo)

Players in 5 (too early to assess really, but I think Ladapo will come good and Bakinson, Coventry, REG I expect to be upgrades)
  • Options
    When you bring in so many players into the club during January, then you know the recruitment in the summer was poor.

These players will take time to bed in and no one knows at this stage if they are any good or not in a Charlton shirt.

Time to judge this window will be at the end of the season 
  • Options
    All depends on who the manager is and what kind of a tune he can get out of the squad. Most of the players in seem to be with an eye on the future, but most of the players out put that future in question.

5/10 but could probably turn out to be anywhere between a 3 or a 7 in the longer run.
  • Options
    6.5/10 for me. 
    We definitely need to get Aneke and Camara back and making a big contribution and need Ladapo to find his match fitness. Providing they do I think we should be ok but no attacking playmaker and winger is going to mean we’re light going forward. We’ll avoid the drop but the squad YET AGAIN is unbalanced and will need significant improvement in the summer. 
  • Options
    I think we need two marks, incomings and outgoings. One is a plus and the other a minus. Now in terms of incomings, we have been busy but it is too early to say how good the signings have been so it could be a mark between 6 and 9. In terms of the outgoings, we know we will miss CBT's contributions greatly so we are looking at a -3 IMO. So I would rate our window between 3 and 6. Hopefully a 6.
  • Options
    edited February 2

Overall, I would rate it a 6.5 out of 10 which is much better than any in recent years. Started strongly, but disappointingly petered out towards the business end of the window due to the bungled decision-making and timing of Appletons dismissal. It must be a very hard sell, trying to attract high quality players to a club struggling near the bottom of league one and without any clear indication of who the manager is going to be

Generally speaking, I think overall there's been an upgrade in the quality of the squad, but I would argue that only Conor Coventry of the new recruits could potentially be regarded as being one of the so-called elite 8.

The loss of CBT, and with it our main attacking threat is a major disappointment and it has left us with very limited options to switch formation to wingers if we need to change things up. Tyreece Campbell has gone backwards and Henry Rylah, although promising, is still far too raw.  The other big gap is a creative attacking midfielder as neither Louie Watson or Fiorini look to quite have that ability to affect games. Aaron Collins would have been a fantastic signing but no surprise that we missed out to a team challenging strongly for promotion.

We are left with a squad that really ought to be good enough to keep us up this season and challenge in the top half next season, and hopefully we can continue the squad rebuilding in the summer to push higher still. The quality of the team organisation, tactics and motivation will be key so the imminent manager/head coach appointment is crucial. If Nathan Jones is appointed, then I think that will be a big sign of intent.

• Options
    I think we need two marks, incomings and outgoings. One is a plus and the other a minus. Now in terms of incomings, we have been busy but it is too early to say how good the signings have been so it could be a mark between 6 and 9. In terms of the outgoings, we know we will miss CBT's contributions greatly so we are looking at a -3 IMO. So I would rate our window between 3 and 6. Hopefully a 6.
    4.5 it is
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    7/10 based upon the outs (obv exception CBT)
    ??/10 based upon the ins. If I am honest i'd never heard of any of them before the window......so can't really comment.

I'd say that overall....the whelm-ometer is hovering at about 5/10.

Biggest signing will be NJ if we manage to get that over the line.
  • Options
    4 out of 10. 

As said on the other thread, we have just gone about neutral in players in and out. There's no obvious, standout strengthening, as a lot of the signings are unproven, unfit or lacking match sharpness, with only 17 games to go, we could have done with players who are actually in a bit of form.

We didn't sign the Pearcey type centre back who we are probably going to need fighting for points. Admittedly Gillesphey sounds promising, but he is a different type of option at centre back.

All of our goalkeeping options are very shoddy, except Isted, who can hopefully replicate his Barnsley form.

I just don't think we did enough to actually guarantee survival, and during February, we will more than likely be banking on the teams below us not picking up points. 

Hopefully I am very wrong, Jones comes in and this team looks completely different, however, I've watched this lot over 30 times this season and they're pretty much all shit bar the likes of May & Dobson. 
    Seems very glass half full on everything you say here and i don’t think anyone expected us to sign 8 players, some good players aswell I’m not sure what else people were hoping for but if you’d have offered Coventry and Ladapo plus the others at the beginning of the window I’d have bit ya hand off for that.
  • Options
    8/10
  • Options
    edited February 2
    Yann897 said:
    4 out of 10. 

Seems very glass half full on everything you say here and i don’t think anyone expected us to sign 8 players, some good players aswell I’m not sure what else people were hoping for but if you’d have offered Coventry and Ladapo plus the others at the beginning of the window I’d have bit ya hand off for that.
    I feel like I am an optimist when appropriate and give credit where it's due. As an example I think Jones is a fantastic managerial appointment, very positive, and the new right back Kayne, seems like a real prospect.

Truth be told, Coventry isn't a player I would have even thought of, as he hasn't featured in the leagues enough for me to notice. I tend to purposely forget games of recent years, so can't really recall how well he played at MK Dons, I may have even been hammered for a few games that season. 

Ladapo is a good signing, but I'd have preferred JCH personally and Ladapo to be a permanent move. 

I understand though how I come across and I am working on that by looking at how my posts may come across before I hit comment 😂

Just have to say it how I see it though, I think it's an unsatisfactory window, happy to change that view and of course be wrong, if these signings end up performing better than I expect. 👍🏻
  • Options
    7/10.  Could have done with a couple more in, but we kept Dobbo and a few that were either wrong in the first place or not playting have gone.  Could have been worse.  Not having a manager in plkace definately had an impact,.
  • Options
    I think it has been a decent window. On paper we now have a stronger squad which is the whole point of a window. However on paper and actual are different things, time will tell but on the whole I think it has been a good window
  • Options
    edited February 2
    6 would have been an 8 if we replaced cbt/Fraser.
  • Options
    8/10. Time will tell how the new signings work out but at least the money men have given it a good go. Most signings are from divisions  above . Struggling to think of any other league 1 club who had a better window.
  • Options
    6/10... Would have been nice to have a creative outlet that others have mentioned

Ladapo | Edmonds-Green | Gillesphey all sound good on paper having won promotion from this level

Coventry and Ramsey show decent potential... Bakinson I've liked the look of thus far

Ward and Fiorini I'm not overly bothered about, the former was brought in as emergency backup not to play, the latter I feel he joined because we had to take someone to replace Tedic

We can only properly judge the Window come April
  • Options
    6- was disappointed to see CBT go, I thought he was a decent player at this level with a bit more skill than most. The others were no great loss to me as the position we are currently in was with those players, even if they did play much they were still part of an awful squad.
    The score from me mainly reflects the fact of where we are and the pool of players we nowadays dip into. Maybe its my general lack of interest in lower league football playing a part in my judgement but I've never heard of any of these 8 players we have signed.
    On the plus side we have at least signed 5 more players to our club rather than the usual loan stiffs of which there are 3. A significant change to the squad and one that hopefully allows us to move in the right direction. 
    We've been unbeaten since the 24th January so we have turned the corner.