Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cup of tea

Nearly spat mine out after reading this.
Tea should be made with leaves, in a pot with sugar and milk added after pouring. A thorough stir should follow.

Anything else is an affront to our great nation. 😉

Comments

• Options
    Its comes from an American. Enough said. 
  • Options
    Its comes from an American. Enough said. 
    perhaps a big dollop of cream and sprinkles as well.
  • Options
    Interestingly, I don’t drink tea anymore, it’s coffee for me.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    Some of the comments are quite witty.
    But seriously why is there a need to wind up an entire nation over something the whole world knows we do best and is so basic that Fenlandaddick can describe the correct method in one sentence?

• Options
    But seriously why is there a need to wind up an entire nation over something the whole world knows we do best and is so basic that Fenlandaddick can describe the correct method in one sentence?

"the whole world knows we do best"
    Ffs don't tell an Indian that. ;)
  • Options
    Bloody Yanks!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Me old Mum never says "I'm going to make a cup of tea", it's always "I'm going to make a pot of tea"
    Always warm the pot first; 1 spoonful of tea per person and 1 for the pot; let it brew but never let it stew. Pour and add a splash of milk and sugar if desired.
    I long ago succumbed to the convenience of a tea bag in the cup, add boiling water and milk.
    Never tastes as good as Mums though.
  • Options
    ….and another thing, describing tea as ‘strong’ is used by a lot of people to quantify how milky or not it is.
    They are quite wrong.
    The strength of tea depends on the infusion process, tea before any milk is added should be a beautiful golden brown, something that can be judged by looking at the colour against the spoon, if it can’t be seen, or the tea is virtually black, it has brewed too long and all you taste is bitter tannin.
    Sainsbury’s gold label tea bags are the best incidentally.
  • Options
    Me old Mum never says "I'm going to make a cup of tea", it's always "I'm going to make a pot of tea"
    Always warm the pot first; 1 spoonful of tea per person and 1 for the pot; let it brew but never let it stew. Pour and add a splash of milk and sugar if desired.
    I long ago succumbed to the convenience of a tea bag in the cup, add boiling water and milk.
    Do you take the kettle to the pot or pot to the kettle?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Well ideally the two are next to each other. It's not an expedition  ;)
  • Options
    I warm the cups with 40 seconds in the microwave, but be warned, don’t put them in the middle, they end up red hot.
  • Options

Its safe to say we like Yorkshire Tea in our household!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Its safe to say we like Yorkshire Tea in our household!
    TeaBoy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    TeaBoy
    Not the first time and wont be the last time I've been called that at home!
  • Options

"the whole world knows we do best"
    Ffs don't tell an Indian that. ;)
    They grow some fine tea but thats where it ends, their milky concoction is a second rate brew. 
    I'm off to India in few weeks so I will try to turn things around for them. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Well ideally the two are next to each other. It's not an expedition  ;)
    Some people make an issue of it, like milk in first or last?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    ….and another thing, describing tea as ‘strong’ is used by a lot of people to quantify how milky or not it is.
    They are quite wrong.
    The strength of tea depends on the infusion process, tea before any milk is added should be a beautiful golden brown, something that can be judged by looking at the colour against the spoon, if it can’t be seen, or the tea is virtually black, it has brewed too long and all you taste is bitter tannin.
    Fella where i work would always  , leave the bag in the cup for 10 minutes with hot water because he liked it strong and then top it up with 50% milk , i couldnt understand why , always looked like dish water .
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    seth plum said:
    They are quite wrong.
    Fella where i work would always  , leave the bag in the cup for 10 minutes with hot water because he liked it strong and then top it up with 50% milk , i couldnt understand why , always looked like dish water .
    Of course each to their own taste, but that bloke is losing out big time when you consider tea made in the Northern European way is the best.

Coming from an Irish background I would like to suggest that the Irish are as equally passionate about a decent cup of tea as the British.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    fadgadget said:
    seth plum said:
    They are quite wrong.
    Of course each to their own taste, but that bloke is losing out big time when you consider tea made in the Northern European way is the best.

Coming from an Irish background I would like to suggest that the Irish are as equally passionate about a decent cup of tea as the British.
    I’d say moreso.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    They are quite wrong.
    like fuck they are!
  • Options
    Don't Americans possess kettles  ?  What's all this heating a cup in the microwave business. 

And I really dont care if its milk first or not. Obviously milk last as you can then add how much you need depending on how much water etc but it's no biggie. 
  • Options
    Isnt the whole milk first thing to do with the fine China cups they used back in the day  , the cold milk first to stop the boiling water cracking the cup ?