Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs Northampton ~ Tuesday 23rd January 2024 - 7:45 pm Kick-Off

edited January 23 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic vs Northampton Town
Tuesday 23rd February 2024 - 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Paul Howard

Introduction
Northampton are 10th in League One on 37 points, Charlton are 16th with 30 points.
Last six matches: Charlton have drawn one and lost five. Northampton have won three, drawn two and lost one.
It feels like crunch time for Michael Appleton today. The Addicks are desperately hoping to end a nine match winless streak, whereas Northampton are unbeaten in their last three matches, winning two. Speculation is rife that Appleton is about to be sacked, but rumours that that had already happened, and that he hadn't taken Monday training were quashed at yesterday's press conference. Appleton did admit, though, that he knows what happens if you keep losing matches; so he'll be under enormous pressure this evening.
A few short weeks ago The Addicks' chances of reaching the playoffs were being discussed, now they're looking over their shoulders at the relegation zone.
Can Appleton turn it round? Well, home advantage will count for nothing if the Addicks go a goal down, as the atmosphere is likely to be toxic, but go ahead and you never know - although with new players still bedding in there will be a lot of crossed of fingers tonight. Put it this way, Charlton really need a break.
Charlton's results since the win against Reading on 21st Oct: 
LLWDDWDDDLLLDLL

Head to Head
Charlton have the upper hand historically, winning 13, drawing 13 and losing nine of our previous encounters.
Post WW2 Charlton have 8 wins, 5 draws and just 2 defeats, with the last four contests resulting in wins for the Addicks, the most recent being in March 2021, a 2-1 win at The Valley.

The Opposition
Name: Northampton (The Cobblers)  | Manager: Jon Brady
Previous League Result: Charlton 2-1 Northampton (Washington 2)
Danger Men: Sam Hoskins (13 goals, 2 assists). 
Northampton's match against Oxford last Saturday was postponed, so they'll be the fresher of the two sides for this evening's contest.
Aussie Jon Brady claims to be wary of Charlton's quality. “Charlton have made a lot of signings in January and it looks like they are really pushing hard,” he said. “They have been aggressive in the market in trying to show their intent and they may feel they can still make the top six. You can’t get away from what they have recruited, they have signed some top, top players and they have been on a sticky run, but we are hopeful that they don’t start turning things around before Tuesday night."
The Cobblers have lost just one of their last seven matches, picking up notable wins against Oxford, Lincoln and in-form Cheltenham.

Burge
McGowan - Willis - Guthrie - Brough
McWilliams- Leonard
Bowie - Pinnock - Hoskins
Simpson

Substitutes : Appéré- Monthe - Lintott - Hondermarck - Haynes - Dyche - Dadge
Charlton Team News
Michael Appleton has some big decisions to make about tonight's line-up. The club has tried to strengthen the shaky defence in the window bringing in Macaulay Gillesphey and Rarmani Edmonds-Green, so far. The former is likely to start after a solid 20 minute cameo against Burton, with Jones likely to be the man to make way after being partially responsible for Burton's first goal, and being in the vicinity of the second. Thomas had his second very good performance in a row, and would be very unlucky to miss out. Ness was solid-ish, but might well make way if Appleton saw enough in training (assuming he was there) to risk giving Edmonds-Green (REG) a debut.
Tenai Watson has struggled recently, and you'd thing it's time to give the more athletic Nathan Asiimwe another chance. Isted may come in for AMB. 
The key question remaining is the line up in midfield. Will he stick with Dobson, Coventry and Bakinson (leaving Watson on the bench), or will he he use the more attacking minded Louie Watson in place of Dobson, who may or not be leaving? As we're at home I think he might go with Watson. Fiorelli doesn't look ready for a start at this stage. Whatever happens, let's hope Appleton doesn't wait too long to make changes if things aren't working out.
Isted
Edmonds-Green - Thomas- Gillesphey
Asiimwe - L Watson - Coventry - Bakinson - Edun
May - Ladapo

Substitutes : Maynard-Brewer - T Watson - Jones - Fiorini - T.Campbell - Dobson - Kanu

Prediction: What the hell, 2-1 

UPDATE: Asiimwe is playing for the U21s today, so presumably Tenai Watson keeps his place in the starting line-up, unless REG replaces him and Jones or Ness remains at centre back. 

Comments

• Options
    I think many on here were expecting him to get the boot on Monday. Surely anything less than a win tonight and he's gone. 
  • Options
    edited January 23
    yes like your team JS and assume you mean L.Watson but rather have Isted in goal
  • Options
    Really not sure which way this will go. Go behind early and it could be an awful evening, both in terms of result and atmosphere. 

They've been on a decent run recently and are pretty well organised. Since Brady has been in charge they've been pretty solid defensively in his time there. 

Their game plan will probably be pretty simple, keep it tight, frustrate us, and try and pick us off/watch us implode. 

Sadly I just can't see us getting anything given the current climate. 2-0 to Northampton.
  • Options
    edited January 23
    I’d bring Kanu in as an extra forward .  It all looks very defensive with only 2 attacking players on the pitch. 

• Options
    This could be the way to get rid of Appleton if he thinks he's so tough. Ring set up in the middle of the pitch, 30 managers enter Royal Rumble style. Last one remaining gets the job.
  • Options
    This could be the way to get rid of Appleton if he thinks he's so tough. Ring set up in the middle of the pitch, 30 managers enter Royal Rumble style. Last one remaining gets the job.
    Brian Cole and the ball boy should be in there big daddy / billy the kid style - tag teaming - bowyer cones in and unloads a few Macdonalds trays into proceedings 
  • Options
    Turn the lights out and do it jackass style with a medicine ball - find out who the luckiest ‘coach’ is in and give them the job !!! 
  • Options
    Charlton win Apples limps on.
    Never want to see us lose, but it can't continue with this man in charge.
    However, do I have faith that the replacement would be a serious upgrade? No.
    The mediocrity, or worse, continues.
    Maybe it is always darkest before the dawn.
    2-0 CHARLTON
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm looking forward to this match.........only because I'm hoping it's the last one for applesauce.
  • Options
    I hate us playing 3 at the back I would much prefer a 4 4 2 diamond midfield like under Bowyer
  • Options
    I say get the new signings straight in 
    ensure get a clean sheet can’t lose if you don’t concede 

Ward AMB Isted
             Reg.  Jones  Gillesphey
               L watson cov bakinson 
                      May ladapo 
  • Options
    I will go.
    Even if we win (which I hope we do) I am sure I won’t enjoy it slumped in my seat in a dreary near empty stadium contemplating a future of further failure for my football team.
  • Options
    I have a work social starting at 4pm and I'll have enough beers before getting to The Valley so I won't care what happens.

No, that's just wishful thinking. Of course I'll care, drunk or sober but it might be quite toxic tonight.

No idea what the result will be. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    We go a goal up in the 83rd minute and Appleton starts giving it to the fans and cupping his ear shouting “do ya want some you southern nancies?”

At which point Brian Cole takes him out from behind with a steel chair, the floodlights go out, darkness ensues and all of a sudden “Addicks to Victory” blares out on the tannoy, and Thomas Sangaard comes out the tunnel with Ben Garner announcing he’s back and ready to save the club

Killer’s beard can be heard on commentary saying “Oh Gawd no, Brian Cole with the steel chair and the heinous Thomas Sangaard back….”

Then it all becomes real again,we let in a goal via another worldly in the 90th minute.then the defence goes missing in the 97th minute & we lose 2-1…😬
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 23
    Things have gone very badly when you are hoping the footballing gods will be kind and any marginal decision go towards us when playing Northampton at home. Think we will win.

ugly 2-1 win. May x2. 

• Options
    I say get the new signings straight in 
    ensure get a clean sheet can’t lose if you don’t concede 

Ward AMB Isted
             Reg.  Jones  Gillesphey
               L watson cov bakinson 
                      May ladapo 
    Too many attacking players 😂
  • Options
    Will watch it on Charlton tv on the warm & dry. I can then rant at the screen & wont be offered out by Appleton.  

Still think we will win this one. It will be a false dawn but will buy Appleton another few weeks. 

2-0. 
  • Options
    Appleton 2 - Cobblers 1
  • Options
    We scrape a 1-0 win, Apples limps on.
    We lose 0-4 Apples limps on.

The Covered End will not be for the faint hearted tonight if we go behind. 
  • Options
    Far from a easy game for us tonight but I fancy us for a hard fought 2-1 win 
    So COYR Let's do this  B)
  • Options
    4-0 win. Go on to an unbeaten run to the play offs.

here we go.
  • Options
    I just hope the players get behind the team tonight, and don't spend time having a go at Apples. After the game maybe different. Even if we're losing get behind the team please! 
  • Options
    I’m coming!
    Will be in the fans bar pre match to hand over a shirt for the museum.
    Then behind the dugout to get a last chance to give Apples some traditional Irish hospitality 🤗
    I can’t wait 😎