Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lewis Ward , Goalkeeper, Signs To End Of Season With 1 Year Option

2»

Comments

• Options
    sm said:
    Slightly confusing signing. His history is underwhelming, and with both keepers currently fit, why do we need a 3rd keeper, as that's all he is? We can always get an emergency loan if both keepers are injured.
    The only explanation I can think of is that perhaps AMB might be sold.
    Going out on loan?

• Options
    My whelmometer is undisturbed. We need a decent keeper but this chap’s record suggests that he will add to the numbers but not be an improvement. Welcome anyway.  
  • Options
    Quite a pedigree.

• Options
    sm said:
    Slightly confusing signing. His history is underwhelming, and with both keepers currently fit, why do we need a 3rd keeper, as that's all he is? We can always get an emergency loan if both keepers are injured.
    No way would Ward good enough to be a number 2 keeper. If we had brought in a new No 1 keeper, then yes one of AMB or Isted would be sold or loaned out.
  • Options
    Such a weird signing, how’s he going to push AMB and Isted.
  • Options
    I don't think he's expected to. As has been mentioned, it's likely he's signed for the coaching side and he's there if needed. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    I don't think he's expected to. As has been mentioned, it's likely he's signed for the coaching side and he's there if needed. 
    What does that say about Hendo , if he's still with us ? 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Different age group I think? 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    As above, Ward is more used to working with the younger players. Quote in the article from the OS;

The stopper returned to Swindon in August 2023 in a player-coach capacity, working as the Robins’ Youth Development Phase Lead Coach.”

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    With some of these signings you have to wonder if there is some sort of financial skulduggery involved as they seem to defy any logic or fulfill any footballing need. 
  • Options
    With some of these signings you have to wonder if there is some sort of financial skulduggery involved as they seem to defy any logic or fulfill any footballing need. 
    Such as? What conspiracy could there be around a third choice GK?
  • Options
    Why? Don't get it.
    Probably turn into a Charlton legend
  • Options
    We have 2 goalkeepers that have picked up injuries recently, makes sense to me.
  • Options
    and he's 6'5
  • Options
    edited January 23
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We&#39;re pleased to confirm the signing of goalkeeper Lewis Ward 🤝<br><br>Welcome to Charlton, <a href="https://twitter.com/lewismward?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@lewismward&lt;/a>! 🧤<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/cafc?src=hash&amp;amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#cafc</a></p>&mdash; Charlton Athletic FC (@CAFCofficial) <a href="">January 22, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <Thanks Henry><> </sript>>>><><>#>
  • Options
    sm said:
    He is crap, so no one will want him. Just a wanker in a mask.
    I really thought he showed promise , strange how inept he has become.

Not even Kent League standard. 
    In fact I think he would struggle to make the Gordon Arms squad at the moment 
  • Options
    Moleneux (spelling) is out long term so we only have the Prince for the U21s, Istead has only just come back too.

Does seem odd to have three first team keepers and none of them U21s but not going to complain about depth in our squad given all our recent injuries.

Seventh signing, take that Carlisle!

@AFKABartram Crunch the figures and tell us in your update what percentage of league one signings have been by us and have any other clubs in any division signed more?

Will Afka also be including the sale of our best player and other players being moved on? 

For your interest, Carlisle have won a game more recently than us and did something we couldn't do, beat Port Vale. 

You carry on running with the Carlisle joke though. 
  • Options
    Moleneux (spelling) is out long term so we only have the Prince for the U21s, Istead has only just come back too.

Does seem odd to have three first team keepers and none of them U21s but not going to complain about depth in our squad given all our recent injuries.

@AFKABartram Crunch the figures and tell us in your update what percentage of league one signings have been by us and have any other clubs in any division signed more?

Will Afka also be including the sale of our best player and other players being moved on? 

For your interest, Carlisle have won a game more recently than us and did something we couldn't do, beat Port Vale. 

Touchy. 

My point was the number of early signings isn't always a good indicator of quality or improvement because, as you explained, other players can leave and the players signed might not be any good.

Hence why it makes sense to wait until the whole window, and season, plays out rather than seeking confirmation bias in the first signings of the window.
  • Options
    Ah ....... that's got me thinking ..... the clue may be 'coach'. 

Perhaps by making him a player/coach, he doesn't count in the financial reckoning within the squad limits? 

It's only my guess, I stand to be corrected. :)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    and he's 6'5
    Passes the CL height test. :)

• Options
    Playing for the U21's today
  • Options

Touchy. 

My point was the number of early signings isn't always a good indicator of quality or improvement because, as you explained, other players can leave and the players signed might not be any good.

Hence why it makes sense to wait until the whole window, and season, plays out rather than seeking confirmation bias in the first signings of the window.
    Fair enough, I wasn't seeking confirmation bias however, I am not a politician and I have nothing to gain by being right about a Charlton signing being a dud.

I genuinely found it concerning at the time that Carlisle had started business early and we didn't have visible plans in place when we really needed players. Since then of course, we have signed players. Question marks over the quality, only time will tell how good they are, but I am now less concerned by the pulling power of Carlisle  ;)  
  • Options
    sm said:

How many goals has AMB stuffed up for recently? He's not been amazing, but not so much to blame him for? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    sm said:

How many goals has AMB stuffed up for recently? He's not been amazing, but not so much to blame him for? 
    Not made many "direct" howlers but the defence has looked very uncertain and shaky (and conceded lots of goals for that matter). 

Is that all on AMB? No it's not. But he has to be at least part of the issue. I don't see him as organising or motivating the defenders much which is at least part of the problem.

Not that Ward seems likely to be the answer there but maybe with his coaching experience he can be kind of a helping hand and teacher in training to help get the original, more convincing AMB back.
  • Options
    AMB doen't come off his line for crosses or corners......puts us in a hole with our shaky defence 
  • Options
    edited January 23
    These AMB comments are exactly the same criticisms people (probably myself included) wrote on here about Nick Pope. I reckon if you reposted and swapped the names noone would bat an eyelid.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    These Nick Pope comments are exactly the same criticisms people (probably myself included) wrote on here about AMB. I reckon if you reposted and swapped the names noone would bat an eyelid.