Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lewis Ward , Goalkeeper, Signs To End Of Season With 1 Year Option

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We&#39;re pleased to confirm the signing of goalkeeper Lewis Ward 🤝<br><br>Welcome to Charlton, <a href="https://twitter.com/lewismward?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@lewismward&lt;/a>! 🧤<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/cafc?src=hash&amp;amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#cafc</a></p>&mdash; Charlton Athletic FC (@CAFCofficial) <a href="">January 22, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comments

• Options

Hooray, great, good news, I suppose.
  • Options
    Seems to me to be another not quite good enough keeper who has made a career of sitting on the bench.

Am I allowed to say: ...... not even whelmed?   :|

• Options
    Slightly confusing signing. His history is underwhelming, and with both keepers currently fit, why do we need a 3rd keeper, as that's all he is? We can always get an emergency loan if both keepers are injured.
  • Options
    Welcome Lewis. What a weird day to sign on
    Normally a Thursday after job club...
  • Options
    might start
  • Options
    Someone on Twitter pointed out when Ward was at Pompey he was cover for MacGillivray…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bizarre signing...
  • Options
    Slightly confusing signing. His history is underwhelming, and with both keepers currently fit, why do we need a 3rd keeper, as that's all he is? We can always get an emergency loan if both keepers are injured.
    Moleneux (spelling) is out long term so we only have the Prince for the U21s, Istead has only just come back too.

Does seem odd to have three first team keepers and none of them U21s but not going to complain about depth in our squad given all our recent injuries.

Seventh signing, take that Carlisle!

@AFKABartram Crunch the figures and tell us in your update what percentage of league one signings have been by us and have any other clubs in any division signed more?

• Options
    Oh joy of all joys...........another signing from Swindon. I thought we'd stopped signing all their cast offs when Garner got the boot.
  • Options
    I imagine the thinking is probably coaching as part of the deal. It's six months til the end of the season - I don't really think this is a signing to either care about or not care about unless we suffer injuries to both AMB and Isted.
  • Options
    Done an extensive tour of south and west of England clubs during his career. He's a big man, and i m o a keeper needs to be big in this league to dominate his area .. wish he had more league experience though as I have no confidence in either  our present two 'senior' keepers, but fear he might be a little undercooked  a t m to be considered as an automatic starter
  • Options
    Wonder if Isted will go on loan to get him some needed game time, while maybe bringing wage bill down a little at same time. 
  • Options
    welcome Lewis and good fortune in your time with us !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's been signed to be a third choice keeper and he sounds like a third choice keeper. He will be our Scott Carson (City version). Mission accomplished. 
  • Options
    Maybe its part of the Jake Young transfer, buy one, get one free 
  • Options
    It is a shame that at one point our youth teams looked stocked with goalkeepers and now we're having to sign a League Two reserve to sit on the bench if one of our keepers gets hurt. 

Losing Beadle and Kone were real blows, especially given that Beadle would probably be starting given just how good he is. Thus is the life of a lower league football team though. Not really something I can blame the club for given that the best youth team players get poached, and from the sounds of things Beadle handled leaving very well. Just a shame is all. 
  • Options
    Maybe this is the end of the AMB experiment. Ship him off on loan, Istead to be no. 1 with Ward on the bench
  • Options
    Strange one but someone must have a reason to get him in 
    Welcome Lewis 
  • Options
    He did some work with the Swindon academy - suspect he’ll continue doing that with us while being a third choice option behind AMB and Isted.

One that I highly doubt will ever play a game for us.
  • Options
    Wonder if Isted will go on loan to get him some needed game time, while maybe bringing wage bill down a little at same time. 
    Isted should be starting. Easily our best keeper.
  • Options
    The only explanation I can think of is that perhaps AMB might be sold.