Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Burton Albion Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 20th January 2024 : KO 15:00

Today we travel up to The Pirelli Stadium to take on Burton Albion who sit two places above the drop zone, but unlike us, are at least winning the odd game, and would go above us with a victory today, but that ain't gonna happen...is it🙄
We've clashed on 10 previous occasions winning six, with Burton victorious in two with the remaining two meetings ending all square... including a 1-1 draw in the reverse fixture at The Valley in December 2023, time for some revenge me thinks...
Unknown at the time, but wouldn't it be good to see Reg and Fred in action, probably signed too late due to our seemingly obsessive trait of getting things done on Friday's, might have to wait till Tuesday's home game...we shall see...

Some good news...

Freddie Ladapo will make his Charlton debut against Burton Albion this afternoon.

Conor Coventry also starts for the first time after impressing from the bench on debut last weekend against Peterborough United..

Fellow new boys Macauley Gillesphey and Rarmani Edmonds-Green make the bench for the first time.

It means the Addicks are likely to line-up in a 3-5-2 formation this afternoon with Lloyd Jones, Lucas Ness and Terell Thomas in a back three in front of goalkeeper Ashley Maynard-Brewer.

Tennai Watson and Tayo Edun are likely to operate as wing-backs either side of a midfield trio of Coventry, captain George Dobson and Tyreeq Bakinson.

Ladapo is partnered by Alfie May, who scored his 20th goal of the season last weekend.

Gillesphey and Edmonds-Green are joined on the bench by Harry Isted, Louie Watson, Lewis Fiorini Tyreece Campbell and Daniel Kanu.

The three changes to the squad come in place of Nathan Asiimwe, Karoy Anderson and Chem Campbell, whose loan with the club ended this week.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Jones, Ness, Thomas; T.Watson, Coventry, Dobson (c), Bakinson, Edun; May, Ladapo

Subs: Isted, Gillesphey, Edmonds-Green, L.Watson, Fiorini, Campbell, Kanu

Got a good feeling about this afternoon...

Comments

• Options
    The start of Appleton’s promotion charge, here we go 🍎 🏆 🥇

AMB

Jones Ness Thomas

Watson      Coventry        Edun

Dobson Bakinson

May Ladapo

Could also be Dobson holding, or Dobson and Coventry holding together with Bakinson behind the strikers.
  • Options
    That midfield should provide decent protection for the defence. It will be interesting how effective it is going forward.
  • Options
    Please just win.... Don't care how just win!
    Or else! 
  • Options
    Surprised that we've not made changes at Centre-Back to be honest... Liking the look of the Midfield.
    If Ness had the same second half as he did in the first against P.Boro, I'd have dropped but he earnt the right to try hold onto that position. Tbf all of them have to step up as some decent options there now.
  • Options
    Looks a much better team AND bench. But the proof of the pudding etc etc. 

Still going for a 3-1 win. 
  • Options
    edited January 20
    Surprised that we've not made changes at Centre-Back to be honest... Liking the look of the Midfield.
    If Ness had the same second half as he did in the first against P.Boro, I'd have dropped but he earnt the right to try hold onto that position. Tbf all of them have to step up as some decent options there now.
    To be honest, Thomas is the only one I'd have dropped, although he was excellent vs Posh
  • Options
    edited January 20
    Very strong side. Plenty of depth to mostly all positions from the bench. To think we could have Mcgrandles, Camera and Aneke back on that bench soon.

No fraser again which shows why moving him on is probably very important this window. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No way we don’t win today !! The atmosphere in the dressing must have gone up a notch or two surely ! 4-0 victory!!
  • Options
    Alfie and Fred on the score sheet today...written in the stars, all we need is a clean sheet to round off a good afternoon...0-2🤞
  • Options
    Let’s not forget that they’re still getting to know each other. Really hopeful of a win today and some excitement but any victory will do.
  • Options
    The defence is still dodgy, but at least it should have a bit more protection in front of it from that midfield.

Hoping for at least a point if they play sensibly...
  • Options
    Brownie and Curbs happy
  • Options
    Has Scott Minto packed in Charlton tv?

Missing again today and I think he has only done 1 of the last 11 games.
  • Options
    No surprise for me, though. The 2 new defenders need to integrate with the gameplan, and can sit on the bench and be ready to be called on. Their time will come.

And the defenders starting today know they really have to perform to keep the shirt.

Basic management. 

• Options
    6/5 on bet365 for anyone feeling confident 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No hiding place now Michael so do your job.... Maybe with a smile.... On second thoughts maybe not! 
  • Options
    God Appleton is a miserable fucker
  • Options
    Has Scott Minto packed in Charlton tv?

Missing again today and I think he has only done 1 of the last 11 games.
    Throat strain  ;)
  • Options
    Alfie and Fred on the score sheet today...written in the stars, all we need is a clean sheet to round off a good afternoon...0-2🤞
    Alfie and Fred ......... 2 great traditional English names! :) 

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    To be honest, Thomas is the only one I'd have dropped, although he was excellent vs Posh
    If he was excellent, then why would you drop him? 

Yeah thats why I have no complaints him starting, as thought he was excellent vs Posh - But wouldn't have been surprised had he been dropped for Gillesphy, as Terrel seems more of a backup player.
  • Options
    Fair play - Apples has gone for it. MUST WIN - so go and win. On paper we should be miles too good. At the back maybe not but there are goals goals goals in that team.
  • Options
    9/2 may or Fred to score first half same second half.sky bet
  • Options
    Must say, I quite like Charlotte in the hot seat...and makes a good studio line-up with Curbs and Brownie...👍
  • Options
    Dobson playing higher up as an “8”. Could work well for him as he can press their CMs, while Coventry can be the deeper midfielder getting the ball off the defence.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!