Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaping Risks

Comments

• Options
    edited January 17
    Just realised that I don't know a single person that vapes. 
    My kids know a few at school/uni who vape, but none of their close friends do. 
  • Options
    These things are addictive. I got one as it was coming up to Christmas and I thought that rather than smoking when out on the booze I'll get  vape instead. Got hooked on the bloody things whereas before I was nothing less that an occasional social smoker. It's certainly put me off smoking of any sort knowing how scarily easy it was to get hooked. So easy to just have a piff at any time, you don't smell of smoke so aren't careful, so easy to get really strong ones. School kids are definitely vaping a lot. what's more, it really made me feel ill and my chest hurt. 
  • Options
    I switched to vaping last August and never looked back. No more exposure to nasty carcinogenic benzene compounds and carbon monoxide, and about 90% cheaper too. No more smelly dog ends to deal with. It's been interesting trying the many varieties of flavoured eliquids too.

I can confidently say I will never go back to tobacco. I strongly recommend vaping to anyone who still smokes cigarettes.
  • Options
    Vaping is harmful
  • Options
    Vaping is harmful
    Has anyone suggested otherwise?
  • Options
    Vaping is harmful
    Has anyone suggested otherwise?
    Perhaps not on here but it’s often seen as an alternative to smoking and one that doesn’t carry the risks. That’s not true I’m afraid. It’s also harmful in a more subtle way. It’s seen to be cool to vape hence the explosion of vaping amongst teens. We’re allowing a new addictive, harmful substance abuse to take hold in society. We have the opportunity to stop it now and should. 
  • Options
    I think it’s a fantastic alternative to smoking, if it’s an aide for quitting, rather than a replacement addiction.

Thsnkfully many countries (like China) are making the fruit flavours illegal. 
  • Options
    I'm sure there's all sorts of serious health risks from vaping, even if you never risk the moody cheap ones
    With the youngest generation presumably it's all about image and "cool"?
    They change their minds on all that guff more frequently than they change their pants
    What's hip/cool/dench today is gone soon enough
    They might even realise that shrouding yourself in a cloud of weird stinking smoke just makes you look like a twat plus it probably gives you cancer
  • Options
    as a smoker i have cut down massively, i think ill always have a cig when i drink. these days i have knocked the 2/3 pints after work pretty much daily on the head and just tend to drink on weekends. 

out of my group there's lads that vape that never smoked which I find strange

couple of guys in my office vape and they are constantly at it. 
    one of my wife's mates has never smoked and now started vaping - baffles me as to why??
    Some sort of sexual kick possibly ;)
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    I'm sure there's all sorts of serious health risks from vaping, even if you never risk the moody cheap ones
    With the youngest generation presumably it's all about image and "cool"?
    They change their minds on all that guff more frequently than they change their pants
    What's hip/cool/dench today is gone soon enough
    They might even realise that shrouding yourself in a cloud of weird stinking smoke just makes you look like a twat plus it probably gives you cancer
    Except that vaping/nicotine is very addictive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it’s a fantastic alternative to smoking, if it’s an aide for quitting, rather than a replacement addiction.

That’s the thing though. It’s not only being taken up as a tool to quit. Teens in particular are taking it up having not smoked before. It’s the cool thing to vape. We shouldn’t allow it to become a problem just as smoking cigarettes is starting to decline. 
  • Options

That’s the thing though. It’s not only being taken up as a tool to quit. Teens in particular are taking it up having not smoked before. It’s the cool thing to vape. We shouldn’t allow it to become a problem just as smoking cigarettes is starting to decline. 
    Have you possibly thought that vaping is helping the decline in smoking and that teens are vaping instead of smoking.
    I vape but have tried to warn my granddaughter of the perils of vaping as I would smoking.
  • Options
    edited January 17

Have you possibly thought that vaping is helping the decline in smoking and that teens are vaping instead of smoking.
    I vape but have tried to warn my granddaughter of the perils of vaping as I would smoking.
    I’m not saying that vaping isn’t being used as a tool to stop smoking but I’d suggest that most people who take it up rather than continuing to smoke cigarettes don’t then cease vaping. Smoking was in decline in the young before vaping came onto the scene. For many I think it’s erroneously considered a safe alternative to cigarettes and as I’ve already said it’s the cool thing to do at the moment. Unless quite significant legislation is put in place very soon I’m convinced that we are going to have a public health crisis further down the line.
  • Options
    Mate of mine, like tons of people I know successfully used vaping to stop smoking tobacco. An unexpected side effect was it almost completely cured his IBS, the vaping cured his IBS. He was only one of those annoying smokers who "only smokes when they drink". 

In regards to kids using them, its on the same people to enforce rules on retailers selling them that it has always been. If you cut police numbers and various other inspector-y people more fake shit will get sold, booze will get sold to kids as will vapes. 

Funny world we are in now, it was only 2007 people could smoke in pubs! 

Kids are doing less dangerous rebellious acts now, sucking on a peach and passionfruit vape stick is nothing compared to doing carpet glue in the 90s 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Mate of mine, like tons of people I know successfully used vaping to stop smoking tobacco. An unexpected side effect was it almost completely cured his IBS, the vaping cured his IBS. He was only one of those annoying smokers who "only smokes when they drink". 

In regards to kids using them, its on the same people to enforce rules on retailers selling them that it has always been. If you cut police numbers and various other inspector-y people more fake shit will get sold, booze will get sold to kids as will vapes. 

Kids are doing less dangerous rebellious acts now, sucking on a peach and passionfruit vape stick is nothing compared to doing carpet glue in the 90s 
    Interesting about the IBS.  I do know that in the past some serious research was done on using nicotine to treat certain IBDs but that the addictive nature outweighed the benefits.
    What I think is concerning is the lack of knowledge about long term effects (rather than the risk of instant death from glue) and the shear scale of the uptake.
    Walk through any town centre at lunchtime and you will see dozens of kids in school uniform openly vaping.  In my day it would have been a crafty shared fag in the bushes (cue Kenneth meme..)
  • Options
    You make some interesting points. The thing about your friends IBS particularly so. It’s good that people use vapes to quit cigarettes and then ditch vaping also, but I’d still say those people are in the minority. We’re seeing vaping now as a first addiction with no previous history of smoking cigarettes. That will predominantly be in the young and I’d guess mostly in teenage girls. Your point about less dangerous rebellious acts and the glue sniffing that took place years ago doesn’t really compare to the epidemic in vaping. I’d suggest that only a very small percentage of teens or slightly older adults partook in sniffing glue but go out in the evening now and vaping is literally everywhere. It’s now considered by medics that vaping should be taken note of when taking a patients history. We are at the thin end of a still largely unknown medical wedge. Sucking chemicals regardless of their flavour into the lungs is absolutely a crazy thing to do by choice. I am certain that the vaping liquid contains zero passion or any other genuine flavouring. 
  • Options
    Shows what I know. 

I thought nicotine whilst addictive was not overly harmful and that vapes were a method of delivering that nicotine hit without the carcinogens in a cigarette. 

Maybe just ban disposable one use vapes? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Shows what I know. 

I thought nicotine whilst addictive was not overly harmful and that vapes were a method of delivering that nicotine hit without the carcinogens in a cigarette. 

Maybe just ban disposable one use vapes? 
    Yeah I also thought that. The problem with unregulated vapes is that you do not know what is in the mixture. Even for reputable vape mixtures it sure as hell isn't just nicotine and water and so what do the other chemical compounds do to you when inhaled at steam temperatures? 
  • Options
    Carter said:

Out here in Dubai, you still can in a lot of pubs. No idea how it hasn't been banned yet, especially in a warm country where for 7-8 months of the year you can sit outside.

I agree with others on the disposables though. As someone who used to smoke and has moved to vaping, the ones where you have to refill are a pain in the arse, so almost everyone uses disposables. I strongly suspect if disposables were banned, a lot of people just wouldn't bother. Although of course this might mean some would go back to smoking so i'm not really sure there's much of a solution here unless you ban everything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

Out here in Dubai, you still can in a lot of pubs. No idea how it hasn't been banned yet, especially in a warm country where for 7-8 months of the year you can sit outside.

I agree with others on the disposables though. As someone who used to smoke and has moved to vaping, the ones where you have to refill are a pain in the arse, so almost everyone uses disposables. I strongly suspect if disposables were banned, a lot of people just wouldn't bother. Although of course this might mean some would go back to smoking so i'm not really sure there's much of a solution here unless you ban everything.
    Vapes are still not yet ingrained in our psyche but soon will be. They should be banned now. Cigarettes for obvious reasons are steadily declining in first world countries. I don’t see any positives for not eliminating both from society.
  • Options
    I think there is limited evidence for/against long term safety of vaping. Essentially a chemical (propylene glycol) that is a food additive is being vaporised and inhaled. 

That additive may be pretty benign when ingested but could have different effects when inhaled. Ultimately anyone vaping is taking part in a large clinical trial into the long term effects of inhaling food additives. 

It is likely safer than smoking - as far as we can tell at the moment but there is really not a lot of evidence out there at the moment.
  • Options

Far more teens vaping than would be smoking though. Bubblegum is an easier flavour to get hooked on than B&H golds
  • Options
    kigelia said:
    I think there is limited evidence for/against long term safety of vaping. Essentially a chemical (propylene glycol) that is a food additive is being vaporised and inhaled. 

That additive may be pretty benign when ingested but could have different effects when inhaled. Ultimately anyone vaping is taking part in a large clinical trial into the long term effects of inhaling food additives. 

It is likely safer than smoking - as far as we can tell at the moment but there is really not a lot of evidence out there at the moment.
    Thing is, how long did it take for us to understand the dangers and damage of smoking? Obviously smoking was around a lot lot longer before science was able to prove it's damage, how long until we're able to accurately assess the damage of vaping? It will probably be generations before we get to that point.
  • Options
    We've caught our 14 y/o son with a vape a few times. Neither of us smoke or any other family members come to that; and he tells us he only wanted to try it (with a new excuse with each time he's found out). I think it's just the (perceived) cool thing to do. I'm sure there was something going around on TicTok, with the kids demonstrating how they're smoking them illicitly at home. We're hoping it's a phase, because as we're all suspecting; will there be long term consequences.
    On a personal note I'd rather be walking behind someone smoking a proper cigarette (or better still, a cigar) than be stuck in a cloud of ultra sweet smelling vapour!
  • Options
    kigelia said:

Thing is, how long did it take for us to understand the dangers and damage of smoking? Obviously smoking was around a lot lot longer before science was able to prove its damage, how long until we're able to accurately assess the damage of vaping? It will probably be generations before we get to that point.
    The younger vaping generation will probably feel the long term effects of their habit in late middle age and older. It’s going to take some years before that data is available and a real picture emerges. Having said that there will.be plenty of studies looking at what data is available. What we already know is that the science already tells us it’s harmful. At present it’s largely unregulated. Can you just imagine the chemicals being used by unscrupulous and dubious manufacturers. This if not banned altogether at the very least needs strict regulation. 
  • Options
    Carter said:

Vapes are still not yet ingrained in our psyche but soon will be. They should be banned now. Cigarettes for obvious reasons are steadily declining in first world countries. I don’t see any positives for not eliminating both from society.
    I'm assuming that you favour the banning of alcohol too then by that logic?

I don't really see the problem with vapes. Helps people get off cigarettes and seems to be far more effective than gums/patches/sprays etc. Those who start vaping who never smoked, well that's their choice to make if they're old enough to. Everyone who drinks started at a place of not drinking, in the same way everyone who smokes or vapes started at a place of not smoking/vaping. 

I agree that it's concerning the amount of young people vaping, but for those of us who grew up in times before vapes were a thing, I don't think it's much different to smoking - when we were kids, smoking was seen as 'cool' and kids always got hold of cigarettes before they were old enough to buy it themselves. Don't see much difference to now, where the same thing seems to be happening with vapes. It's just moved with the times.

I do think they should be taxed though, as long as they're not so heavily taxed that it discourages people from smoking, or causes those who switched to vaping to go back to cigarettes. At least the public purse gets a boost from it then to help with funding cessation tools and health effects from it, in the same way alcohol and tobacco does. I think there should also be more oversight and regulation on those companies making the things, to help strengthen public safety.
  • Options
    edited January 18
    Big C said:
    Carter said:

I'm assuming that you favour the banning of alcohol too then by that logic?

I don't really see the problem with vapes. Helps people get off cigarettes and seems to be far more effective than gums/patches/sprays etc. Those who start vaping who never smoked, well that's their choice to make if they're old enough to. Everyone who drinks started at a place of not drinking, in the same way everyone who smokes or vapes started at a place of not smoking/vaping. 

I agree that it's concerning the amount of young people vaping, but for those of us who grew up in times before vapes were a thing, I don't think it's much different to smoking - when we were kids, smoking was seen as 'cool' and kids always got hold of cigarettes before they were old enough to buy it themselves. Don't see much difference to now, where the same thing seems to be happening with vapes. It's just moved with the times.

I do think they should be taxed though, as long as they're not so heavily taxed that it discourages people from smoking, or causes those who switched to vaping to go back to cigarettes. At least the public purse gets a boost from it then to help with funding cessation tools and health effects from it, in the same way alcohol and tobacco does. I think there should also be more oversight and regulation on those companies making the things, to help strengthen public safety.
    The great thing about nicotine, if you’re a cigarette or vape manufacturer, is that it’s hugely addictive. 
    I filmed in a heroin withdrawal residential clinic once, and almost all of the patients were smoking. I asked them how come they’re still smoking if they can give up heroin, and they all said that giving up smoking is harder than giving up heroin. And they should know!
    Once you’re smoking or vaping regularly you feel that it’s enjoyable, or relieves stress, whereas it actually just relieves the symptoms that you get when you’re suffering from nicotine withdrawal. 
    So the act smoking or vaping feels pleasurable, because you feel somehow better for doing it. I can remember in particular getting quite a hit after not smoking for a bit (like after a long flight), but was it worth it for the stress of being desperate for a fag while on the flight? No definitely not. 
    Giving up smoking was one of the best (and hardest) things I’ve ever done, and the banning of smoking in public places was a big help in that. 
    I’m just hoping vaping doesn’t turn out to be another health crisis, but as Shooters has said, it’ll be some time before we find out. 
  • Options
    Some things that are definitely harmful

1) smoking 
    2) excessive boozing 
    3) driving with undue care and attention 
    4) sperlunking 
    5) skiing 
    6) boxing 
    7) crossing the carriageway 
    8) stairs 
    9) snow and ice 
    10) processed food
    11) sugar 
    12) sedentary lifestyles 
    13) starting a conversation with me as a stranger 
    14) air travel 
    15) gambling 
    16) excess use of pharmaceuticals 
    17) antagonising an animal 
    18) red meat 
    19) aluminium in anti-perspirant 
    20) vehicle exhaust fumes 

Vaping may or may not be dangerous to long-term wellbeing. I do know it pisses people off who don't vape in the same way smoking pissed off non-smokers. 

I see smoking and vaping as a choice, same as drinking. The difference with vaping is after the popcorn lung theories were proven as waffle, then the panic over kids getting hospitalised in the States (they were vaping weed and homemade THC non-FSA/FDA approved liquid) it becomes difficult like lots of divisive subjects now to find accurate information online, lots of use of the words "could", "might", "may" involved. YouTube was somewhere at least you can find objective research on the immediate effects on a lung of vaping vs smoking then high levels of vaping. The effects of tobacco on lungs are similar to smoke inhalation in that these spidery, heavy dusty fragments attach themselves to the lining of the lung and stubbornly refuse to budge, you don't get that with vaping liquid in a normal to average lung. Which may or may not indicate long term immunity from lung problems however it certainly doesn't immediately raise a red flag to me. Also the chemicals, vegetable glycerin and the PG one. I definitely would not advise drinking these and in the UK they are regulated and classed as safe for their intended purpose. You can't just start selling stuff over here without at least some checks and balances. 

I love @ShootersHillGuru I think he is a really valued poster to this site and I will make time to read his posts, I am not in any way qualified to speak on medical matters other than those that affect me or loved ones where I can speak from a point not of academia but experience. 

I say this now which is in no way a slant at all at anyone in the making people better profession. 

Sometimes alternative treatments that don't carry a "known-known" are at least as effective or more than the known-known. To pluck something out of the air. RSO. The wider medical/pharmaceutical worlds refusal to do anything with this stuff other than wholly dismiss it as witchcraft makes me a tiny bit sceptical of how propaganda and subtle chipping away and discredit of anything other than something made by Pfizer, Glaxosmithcline, Galpharm. 

Vaping for me is a bit in this camp. I think it has gebuinely caught a massive old school money printer on the hop in the tobacco industry and they have desperately tried to discredit the vaping world even though BAT and Phillip Morris are desperately trying to emulate and create their own vaping device to disrupt a huge industry with few massive players in like BAT or Phillip Morris