Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

8+8+8

A strange concept. Wouldn't a question from any new recruits be "Which group of 8 am I in?"
Could cause a bit of friction if you thought you were elite but turns out your a bit of a David Batty type!

Anyway,I digress.  If nothing else, I suppose It is a way of assessing what we've got now and what we'll have as our recruitment progresses.
So come on. Out of our squad as it stands at this minute.,what would you say the current ratio is?
No naming names. Just numbers.
Remember, Elite first. Keith Jones types second. Kids last
I'll go first.

2:6:3
 13 DNQ!

Will revisit on Feb 1

Comments

• Options
    = League 1 mediocrity for the foreseeable future (at best).
  • Options
    edited January 11
    5 I guess out of our current squad that are elite in the sense you would always play them if fit. If you are going by promotion players then probably only 3. 
    6 middle of the road lot
    and about 3 youngsters. 

• Options
    edited January 11
    Elite League 1 players: These would be Championship calibre players. We don't have many.

Keith Jones types? Keith Jones played Premier League football. We don't have anyone who can do that.

Kids: We've got some of them. 

2-0-6

• Options
    edited January 11
    5 I guess out of our current squad that are elite in the sense you would always play them if fit. 
    6 middle of the road lot
    and about 3 youngsters. 

Remember, the Elite have be consistent performers.
    Not available for two weeks out for 10!
  • Options
    Elite League 1 players: These would be Championship calibre players. We don't have many.

Keith Jones types? Keith Jones played Premier League football. We don't have anyone who can do that.

Kids: We've got some of them. 

2-0-6

I don't think Keith would've blow the socks of league one if I'm honest. He was what he was and good at it.
  • Options
    They did well got everyone talking about some made up philosophy.
  • Options
    edited January 11
    2-8-7 with 8 other bodies floating around.

Of the players that are contracted to the club (ie not loans) and I've seen enough of to properly categorise:

Elite (senior player that every club in L1 would want, could step up to the Championship):
    - 2 (Alfie May, Corey Blackett-Taylor)

Solid (senior player that will perform to a decent to middling level in L1 but question marks over whether they can step up to the next level):
    - 8 (Dobson, Fraser, McGrandles, Hector, Edun, Jones, Thomas, Tennai W)

Academy:
    - 7 (Leaburn, Kanu, Tyreece, Anderson, Ness, Asiimwe, Maynard-Brewer)

Others that I don't feel comfortable placing into a category (they should probably be in the "solid" category until proven otherwise, either due to lacking in ability or availability):
    - 6 (Aneke, Camara, Chem, Louie W, Taylor, Isted)

New signings who haven't made an appearance yet so can't be categorised by anyone:
    - 2 (Fiorini, Bakinson)
  • Options
    edited January 11
    4:7:3 - 4 players, when fit, who I think can play an important part for a promotion winning side. 35+ starts a season for them.

7 - Squad players for promotion winning sides who can be relied on to be cover when needed.

3 - Academy graduates who can be relied on to be cover for promotion winning side. 

The rest are unknown because of not seeing them play enough due to injury, academy boys who aren’t ready for senior men’s football or just don’t fit in any category because they are rubbish.

• Options
    edited January 11
    Tried to break it down how the owners would view it, not necessarily my opinion before anyone shouts me down!

Elite: Fraser, Bakinson, Dobson, Fiorini, Aneke, CBT, May, 

Solid: Isted, Jones, Hector, Edun, T Watson, McGrandles, Taylor, L Watson, C Campbell

Academy: AMB, Elerewe, Ness, Thomas (I know, it's a stretch but fits the bill), Asiimwe, Anderson, T Campbell, Leaburn, Kanu

Academy fringes (I've added this group): Mbick, Rylah, Kedwell

So in reality we may already have their 8+8+8. I personally wouldn't put Fraser in the elite but that's how he's always discussed, the 2 new loans are a guess and Aneke isn't available enough to properly count.
  • Options
    what a load of bollocks.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    Tried to break it down how the owners would view it, not necessarily my opinion before anyone shouts me down!

Elite: Fraser, Dobson, Bakinson, Dobson, Fiorini, Aneke, CBT, May, 

Solid: Isted, Jones, Hector, Edun, T Watson, McGrandles, Taylor, L Watson, C Campbell

Academy: AMB, Elerewe, Ness, Thomas (I know, it's a stretch but fits the bill), Asiimwe, Anderson, T Campbell, Leaburn, Kanu

So in reality we may already have their 8+8+8. I personally wouldn't put Fraser in the elite but that's how he's always discussed, the 2 new loans are a guess and Aneke isn't available enough to properly count.
      Dobson's so Elite they've stuck him in twice!
    Sounds about right
  • Options
    edited January 11
    The litmus test for the elite category is:

- if signed by a team currently challenging for automatics, does someone else get dropped so that our player would go straight into their team? OR
    - if signed by a team in the Championship, could they hold their own as part of that squad?

IMO we have only two players definitely fit either of those tests: Alfie May and Corey Blackett-Taylor.

Dobson and Jones are the next closest candidates.
  • Options
    At the end of the summer, I would imagine the club would probably have had it something like this, based on players reputations, where they were signed from and how much they are being paid: 

Isted Hector Fraser Dobson CBT May Camara Tedic (if rumours of our wage contribution are accurate) 

T.Watson, Edun, T. Taylor, Jones, McGrandles, Thomas, L.Watson, C.Campbell, Abankwah, Aneke, Kirk 

Leaburn T. Campbell Ness AMB Kanu Anderson Assimwe Elerewe 

Too many in the middle group, but not sure they would have counted Aneke and Kirk in their plans. 

(THIS IS NOT MY OPINION! I’d only put Dobson, May and CBT in elite, maybe Jones at a push just trying to guess where the club would have placed everyone in the summer) 

• Options
    fenaddick said:

Elite: Fraser, Dobson, Bakinson, Dobson, Fiorini, Aneke, CBT, May, 

Dobson's so Elite they've stuck him in twice!
    Sounds about right
    Good spot, edited!
  • Options

- if signed by a team currently challenging for automatics, does someone else get dropped so that our player would go straight into their team? OR
    - if signed by a team in the Championship, could they hold their own as part of that squad?

IMO we have only two players definitely fit either of those tests: Alfie May and Corey Blackett-Taylor.

Think a fit Aneke covers both those categories, it's staying fit that's the issue
  • Options
    edited January 11
    Basing it on what they reckoned at the start of the season/end of the summer window, before we realised a lot of them weren't up to snuff or got injured, or both.

Elite: Dobson, Camara, Blackett-Taylor, May, Fraser, Taylor, Jones, Hector

Solid: McGrandles, Thomas, Edun, T.Watson, L Watson, C.Campbell, Tedic, Isted

Academy: T.Campbell, Elerewe, Ness, Asiimwe, Kanu, Anderson, Maynard-Brewer, Leaburn

Wildcards/surplus: Aneke, Kirk. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

Think a fit Aneke covers both those categories, it's staying fit that's the issue
    Yeah in my original post I put Aneke in "uncategorised" but if we're being truly honest with ourselves, he's a better fit for the solid category because he can't stay fit and available. No good being the best player in the league if you only play 10-20% of the games.

This isn't an exercise in trying to figure out how talented the footballers are at our club - they all have some level of ability as professionals. It's instead about building a squad that can get promoted and then survive at the next level (ie not come straight back down like we did in 2019-20). I don't think we can realistically say that Aneke should be a part of that.
  • Options
    888. Think they're all about 2 short, but then the devil's in the detail. 
  • Options

Elite: 
    May
    CBT

Consistent:
    Dobbo
    Jones
    T Watson
    Fraser 
    Edun

Academy players ready to contribute:
    T Campbell
    Kanu
    Leaburn
    Ness

Thats all I’ve got.  It’s actually quite a useful means of accessing how far off it we are.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 11
    It's a great diversion tactic.

They are relying upon the majority of our fanbase spending the next 20 days trying to work out the answer, completely ignoring that fact that, in that time, we've signed Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (JFH) on a four year contract (who our recruitment team confused with JCH), Gary Doherty on a six year contract (who our recruitment team confused with Greg Docherty), Lewis Hamilton on a rolling, per race contract (who our recruitment team confused with Lewis Bate), Conor Washington on a six month loan deal (who our recruitment team confused with Conor Coventry) and Mr Humphries from Are You Being Served on a zero hours contract (who our recruitment team confused with Stephen Humphrys)
  • Options
    edited January 11
    The emergence of this thread is why I think it was a mistake of them to share the strategy. Fans will look to reference our existing squad and potential signings with where they fit on the template, so the SMT have given fans a rod to beat them with if it goes tits up or if the recruits don't appear to fit. They could have just said we're aiming for mix of elite, proven L1, and academy players and left it at that.
  • Options
    Keith Jones was well above League One. 
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    It's a great diversion tactic.

They are relying upon the majority of our thicko fanbase spending the next 20 days trying to work out the answer, completely ignoring that fact that, in that time, we've signed Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (JFH) on a four year contract (who our recruitment team confused with JCH), Gary Doherty on a six year contract (who our recruitment team confused with Greg Docherty), Lewis Hamilton on a rolling, per race contract (who our recruitment team confused with Lewis Bate), Conor Washington on a six month loan deal (who our recruitment team confused with Conor Coventry) and Mr Humphries from Are You Being Served on a zero hours contract (who our recruitment team confused with Stephen Humphrys)
    What the lol.  Even if fans did spend the next 20 days doing just that I think they’d notice the signings.  
  • Options
    Keith Jones was well above League One. 
    Played in the Championship for us, I assume the plan at that level would be similar but with the divisions moving up a level. You’d eventually aim for elite to be top Championship players who could step up to the Prem. I guess there’d be a step or two in between as you progress.
  • Options
    I've counted Leaburn as elite but most have him in as a youngster. 
    Not sure about Blackett but at a guess I think most promotion challenging teams would have him. 
    Then there's may. 
    After those three you got Dobson.
     then after him the rest of the squad plus the youngsters. 
  • Options
    I've counted Leaburn as elite but most have him in as a youngster. 
    Not sure about Blackett but at a guess I think most promotion challenging teams would have him. 
    Then there's may. 
    After those three you got Dobson.
     then after him the rest of the squad plus the youngsters. 
    Think the idea is anyone who came through the academy goes into that category. In theory, if your academy produces 3 elite players you've either got 11 elite players or you can recalibrate your numbers to have less elite. Academy players = 0 transfer fee and less wages which lets face it is why we have these categories. 
  • Options
    3 fat ladies
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

Yeah in my original post I put Aneke in "uncategorised" but if we're being truly honest with ourselves, he's a better fit for the solid category because he can't stay fit and available. No good being the best player in the league if you only play 10-20% of the games.

This isn't an exercise in trying to figure out how talented the footballers are at our club - they all have some level of ability as professionals. It's instead about building a squad that can get promoted and then survive at the next level (ie not come straight back down like we did in 2019-20). I don't think we can realistically say that Aneke should be a part of that.
     And I would agree with that. He's a talent but He really can't be included in the Elite. Ask yourself how many other clubs are banging down the door to sign him. I'd say next to nobody purely on his fitness issues.
    A shame ,but true