Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD : Port Vale Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 6th January 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• ross1 said:

74' Booking for Dobson  He pulls down Chislett.
    Sounds like Dobbo has now gone into blue arsed fly mode as the rest of the midfield disappears  -it was ever thus.
  • Too much long ball from us now, with Kanu isolated. I fear it’s going to be a very uncomfortable last 20 minutes
  • Is Louis Watson still with us ?
  • We're hopeless. 
  • This is so hard to watch, we're hanging on, you just know whats coming.
  • SDAddick said:
    se9addick said:
    SDAddick said:
    AMB makes me nervous at times. Usually it's because of his decision making coming off his line, but sometimes his positioning seems very strange. Good reaction save on the shot from distance but not sure why he looked so wrong footed. 
    I know what you mean but AMB has made two or three spectacular saves today. We’d be getting hammered if it wasn’t for him.
    I also agree. I think my concern comes from the fact that he sometimes makes the easy things look hard, but he also makes the hard things look easy. He's still quite unpredictable. 

I think he's talented. But he's 24 and I think he's basically played two full seasons of senior football at this stage, so there's still room to grow. 
    And he probably has no confidence in the defence in front of him, which is more than understandable.
  •  Change needed Mr Manager ?
    Guaranteed to concede late goal....
    Manager?
  • These players really can't play out from the back. How many times do they have to play me to you, like a scene from Chuckle Brothers, then after gaining no ground get pressured from the press and lose possession. The link up from defence to midfield is so woefully poor. After mucking it up, Dobbo just decides to go long as there is no way of getting the ball to forwards and it goes direct to the keeper. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It's like being in the dentist waiting room.
    A smash and grab goal by us maybe?
    We would, but Patrick is still finishing his dinner, and Henry has a note from him Mum excusing him from P.E
  •  Change Manager needed Mr?

• SDAddick said:
    Thomas coming on for Edun to "add height." Are we settling for a 2-2? Trying to shut up shop?

Didn't work last week. 
  • We usually concede the fatal goal post the 83rd minute. The countdown starts now…
  • Ffs Campbell.
    1. 76'

Substitution

Substitution, Port Vale. Baylee Dipepa replaces James Wilson.

• Campbell sums it all up in one touch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Has MA got his hands out of his pockets yet
  • ross1 said:
    Has MA got his hands out of his pockets yet
    Nah cupping his ears at the away fans. 
  • Anyone questioning why we've signed 2 midfielders so far this window should just watch the 3 we have today.

Yes, Dobson is the captain and tries harder than anyone to cover every blade of grass, but he leaves the middle of the park open so often chasing players down out wide 

Anderson is raw and young and when we concede or he makes a mistake his confidence is shit, and it really affects his game

Watson is a decent passer of the ball, but is lightweight and gives it away in dangerous areas at times

When you combine that with 2 fullbacks on the smaller side, and 3 attackers that are either young, don't track back, or both, it's not hard to see why we concede so many
  • That sums up Campbell. Dobbo plays the quick free kick out wide and it hits Campbell's left leg then his right and rolls out of play. Inept. 

• Dobson takes a free-kick to T. Campbell win loads of space on the touchline and he just lets it go under his foot.
  • 10 minutes plus to go
  • SDAddick said:
    To be honest this should sort of answer the question of why we've prioritised getting midfielders in. We don't have a huge issue with scoring, it's other teams running through our braindead midfield that's the major problem. Defence needs a tweak as well
    Can’t be right. ‘Dobbo’ is our best player and Louie Watson is the second coming of Christ. Surely between both of them we should be able to gain some control.
    I feel like we've seen a good overview of Louie Watson's abilities in this game. At times very clever and decisive in the final third, but goes massively missing at times as well. I don't think this is all on him by any stretch, but I think there's been a bit of absence makes the heart grow fonder with him where some of his faults have been forgotten. 
    I think that’s true of all the young players. It’s why Asimwe and Tyreece looked so good when they subbed on early in the season, but looked woeful when they started. They haven’t figured out the 90 minute bit yet, although in fairness, none of the team have. 
    Agreed, it's by no means unique to him, and he's definitely a talented player. I was more commenting on how, while he's been out of the team, I think some people have forgotten about his shortcomings. I still would have him starting ahead of Chem and/or Anderson. 
  • I’ve turned it off. I am one of the more rose tinted Charlton fans you will meet and I have lost complete faith in Micheal Appleton. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that if we sign Clarke-Harris, we shouldn’t be expecting many goals from him. The way we are being set up would mean he is completely isolated! 

I have lost all interest in us to be honest. I can actually quickly see us being dragged into a relegation battle and this team has no backbone. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!