Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sangaard did more damage to us than Duchaletet.

Duchaletet brought our club to it's knees for sure. However whilst he was sustaining losses with the football club there was a chance that he could be persuaded to sell.That incentive has now gone.He owns the fixed assets with a steady income from them and no losses or fan fury to contend with. Sangaard seperating the football club from it's fixed assets was catastrophic for our club although we didn't realise the significance at the time.
It is hard to believe that just 17 yrs ago we were a Premier league club with plans approved to increase the capacity to 40000. How times change.

Comments

• Anyone who thinks that losing  ownership of The Valley and Sparrows Lane is not a catastrophe is sadly deluded l'm afraid.We now have the dead hand of Duchaletet hanging over us for who knows how long.
  • Sandgaard was part of the Duchatelet problem, as were ESI.
  • Sponsored links:

• SOTF said:
    I’d point out that Dutchatalet happily separated the club and The Valley / Sparrows Lane, to criminals, for the sum of £1.

Ranking our previous three owners would be like one of those kids competitions where everyone gets a prize for being equally useless.
    And TS paid the same people1.5m for the club.

Pointless ranking the owners as they all did considerable damage to our club. 
  • We haven’t had good ownership since about 2006. 
  • Uh-oh, WellingWill’s doing his own research again 
    If he did research, there wouldn't be a massive typo in the subject line
  • RD was certainly capable of putting together a better squad than anything we've had since, but there was damage done elsewhere, obviously. 

Southall was worse as all he did was steal from us, give money to his mates and buy copious amounts of snacks. 

Sandgaard whilst well intentioned was absolutely clueless with anything football and put us in the worst shape we've been on the pitch for a while.

This new lot. Jury's out, but I think they at least know what they are trying to do with the footballing side. But obvs it's not going that well at the moment.

But nice to chat xxx
  • Whether it was Sangaard, ESI, or whoever, the fact remains that we are now a club that does not own it's ground or training ground.To me that is a big.problem.
    Yes, but the title of your thread says that Sandgaard was worse than Duchatalet. 

If you are going to start an arguement at least get your facts straight. I see you only joined here in 2022. You might want to reprise yourself of our recent history before starting threads you seem to know nothing about.  
    Whether it was Sangaard, ESI, or whoever, the fact remains that we are now a club that does not own it's ground or training ground.To me that is a big.problem.
    Yes, but the title of your thread says that Sandgaard was worse than Duchatalet. 

If you are going to start an arguement at least get your facts straight. I see you only joined here in 2022. You might want to reprise yourself of our recent history before starting threads you seem to know nothing about.  
    I have followed this club for probably longer than you so don't be such an arsehole.
    Regardless of the length of time you’ve supported the club, the premise of your post is that the biggest issue facing us is the separation of ownership of the club and stadium and that therefore Duchatelet was less awful than Sandgaard. 
  • I don't think you even have to think about it. Of course Roland did more damage and is still doing so. I have to admit that I am gobsmacked that anybody would see it differently.
    More shocking is the amount of people who agree with this poster!
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think you even have to think about it. Of course Roland did more damage and is still doing so. I have to admit that I am gobsmacked that anybody would see it differently.
    It's a series of poor ownerships and mismanagement that has brought us here. Sandgaard and Duchatelet have both contributed to this, but I believe both did what they thought was right in the beginning and both spent a lot of money.

It was the debacle in the middle of those who caused the most amount of damage,  Matt Southall, Tahnoon Nimer, Paul Elliott and Chris Farnell.
  • One day someone might even write about these episodes of Charlton Athletics history. 
    Giving us an insight and all future owners of football clubs on How Not to Ruin a Club.

How is that book coming on?
  • edited January 3
    No he didn't!

When ESI bought the Club the separation occured and they were contractually obligated to purchase the assets by a set date, but were never in any position to.

When TS bought them out, he renegotiated the lease removing that commitment as he wasn't going to pay RD what ESI had agreed. Some may argue he should have done, but no one else was offering to.

We might have been better, or worse off, had he not bought the Club then, but that we'll never know and it's RD's asking price that's the most damaging aspect of the separation of assets problem, for which we have ESI to thank.
  • edited January 3
    swordfish said:
    No he didn't!

When ESI bought the Club the separation occured and they were contractually obligated to purchase the assets by a set date, but were never in any position to.

When TS bought them out, he renegotiated the lease removing that commitment as he wasn't going to pay RD what ESI had agreed. Some may argue he should have done, but no one else was offering to.

We might have been better, or worse, off had he not bought the Club then, but that we'll never know and it's RD's asking price that's the most damaging aspect of the separation of assets problem, for which we have ESI to thank.
    That commitment was never in the ESI lease.
    I stand corrected. Apologies.

Edit - Perhaps I should have concluded my first post after the first three words 😉
  • PopIcon said:
    I don't think you even have to think about it. Of course Roland did more damage and is still doing so. I have to admit that I am gobsmacked that anybody would see it differently.
    It's a series of poor ownerships and mismanagement that has brought us here. Sandgaard and Duchatelet have both contributed to this, but I believe both did what they thought was right in the beginning and both spent a lot of money.

It was the debacle in the middle of those who caused the most amount of damage,  Matt Southall, Tahnoon Nimer, Paul Elliott and Chris Farnell.
    Nope it all comes back to Duchatelet.