Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer in the stands

Call me old fashioned but I thought beer was banned from the terraces. Apparently not in the upper west any more. Don’t want to be a party pooper but this surely isn’t on. The standard of stewards reflects very badly on the current administration of the club. Possibly an indication of badly managed cost cutting?

Comments

• Options
    Stewarding has been poor for a long time now. I suspect it is down to cos cutting, but not this administration's. It is, however, for them to rectify of course.
  • Options
    Went to PSV Eindhoven recently and everyone was drinking beer peacefully in the stand. Plus more revenue for clubs. I thought I read a while back that the rule was being reviewed 
  • Options
    A guy who sits in front of me brings his own cans in and has a drink. It doesn't bother me. There are lots more Charlton related things to worry about at the moment
  • Options
    May go some way to explaining the very loud boo-ze at the end of your match 👀
    My challenge to you is to get this into a third thread 😂
  • Options
    May go some way to explaining the very loud boo-ze at the end of your match 👀
    My challenge to you is to get this into a third thread 😂
    Took me long enough to realise it was in the wrong one to start with  :D
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Went to PSV Eindhoven recently and everyone was drinking beer peacefully in the stand. Plus more revenue for clubs. I thought I read a while back that the rule was being reviewed 
    Don’t have to travel that far..
    Any National League North/South, or below, is OK.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally I would love beer back in the stands. My point is that the stewards don’t give a toss. Beer policing is only part of their job. What would happen if they actually had to take some action with regard to safety ???
  • Options
    edited January 1
    Personally I would love beer back in the stands. My point is that the stewards don’t give a toss. Beer policing is only part of their job. What would happen if they actually had to take some action with regard to safety ???
    They would fail. They are largely minimum wage and will have basic training. 

If there were an emergency, would you listen to them or would you use your own common sense?

they are there to make up the numbers required by law, but serve no useful purpose.

apologies to any stewards on here.
  • Options
    They would fail. They are largely minimum wage and will have basic training. 

If there were an emergency, would you listen to them or would you use your own common sense?

they are there to make up the numbers required by law, but serve no useful purpose.

apologies to any stewards on here.
    I'll worry when we get that shit, even the stewards start drinking in the stands...
  • Options
    Call me old fashioned but I thought beer was banned from the terraces. Apparently not in the upper west any more. Don’t want to be a party pooper but this surely isn’t on. The standard of stewards reflects very badly on the current administration of the club. Possibly an indication of badly managed cost cutting?
    Not digging you out at all here, but why do so many people call seated areas ‘terraces’ ?  
  • Options
    Not digging you out at all here, but why do so many people call seated areas ‘terraces’ ?  
    Would you prefer us to call the seated areas stands?!!!

The rows of seats in the stands are terraced, as opposed to on a level ground, so terraces seems accurate to me.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    Would you prefer us to call the seated areas stands?!!!

The rows of seats in the stands are terraced, as opposed to on a level ground, so terraces seems accurate to me.
    It’s not that deep, but I always thought a terrace at football was something you stood on ? 
  • Options
    Going back to the main point of this thread. Booze will never be allowed back in the stands because amongst other reasons, it will be thrown about when teams score etc. 
  • Options
    The beer in the stands is harmless. 
    It's the amount of Charlie consumed in the bogs you should worry about. 
    How are the stewards supposed to see this, with all that smoke 🚬 in there?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is about the number of stewards in the upper West and the lack of training for the one or two who are around. On the 23rd of December I had a large group of east Europeans in front of me. They just walked up down during the match buying larger and coming back to their seats.
    I had to ask one of them to stop vapping  immediately in front of me as I did not want to breath in his flavoured vapour.
    I guess it is all part of the new owners cost cutting to make the club break even.
  • Options
    I sit in an area where lots of freebies get given out and practically every game a man or woman will wander down unknowingly with pint in hand 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    It is about the number of stewards in the upper West and the lack of training for the one or two who are around. On the 23rd of December I had a large group of east Europeans in front of me. They just walked up down during the match buying larger and coming back to their seats.
    I had to ask one of them to stop vapping  immediately in front of me as I did not want to breath in his flavoured vapour.
    I guess it is all part of the new owners cost cutting to make the club break even.
    If I was a new owner, I would reduce the reduce the number of stewards down to the minimum permitted aswell. Why spend money when it's not needed?
  • Options
    .Billy_Mix said:
    Email the stadium bloke at the club and he'll quietly sort it out
    Had similar last Christmas/New Year in our bit of the Curbside and it stopped as soon as I raised it.
    Our views on whether it's good/bad/anything else are irrelevant all the while it's actually illegal.  Only needs some local authority or plod busybody to spot it and the club's in for a world of hassle.  The 1% tosser element in every crowd will inevitably ruin it for the rest of us.
    Did someone having a beer upset you so much that you had to report it??
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    If I was a new owner, I would reduce the reduce the number of stewards down to the minimum permitted aswell. Why spend money when it's not needed?
    I suppose it’s one of those things you don’t really see the need for until there’s something they’re needed for. 

From a personal experience, other than saying hello I’ve barely spoke to a steward in 30 years but twice in the last month I’ve needed the support and assistance of stewards and those I’ve engaged with have been fantastic and supportive both times. 
  • Options
    edited January 2
    Im my time as a ST holder in the upper west Ive seen it myself, usually from tourists and you get a lot in the west upper because they will ask the ticket office for the best seats when they pop down for their English footy day trip and that's what the TO tell them to buy.

Last time I saw it was a season or two ago, bloke smoking a fag and enjoying a beer at his seat. I didn't clutch my pearls and mutter "how dare they!!" under my breath or anything, I was just surprised that the stewards didn't do anything about it as it was pretty obvious.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Im my time as a ST holder in the upper west Ive seen it myself, usually from tourists and you get a lot in the west upper because they will ask the ticket office for the best seats when they pop down for their English footy day trip and that's what the TO tell them to buy.

Last time I saw it was a season or two ago, bloke smoking a fag and enjoying a beer at his seat. I didn't clutch my pearls and mutter "how dare they!!" under my breath or anything, I was just surprised that the stewards didn't do anything about it as it was pretty obvious.

Having a beer not so much, but I would have an issue if someone was smoking a fag next to me and my kid. If you want to give yourself lung cancer thats nothing to do with me, but I don't fancy breathing in your second hand smoke if you cant hold on for 90 mins.

I used to be more relaxed, but after seeing my Mum (30 a day smoker) dying in the way she did.... it was horrific. Not something I want my lad exposed to.