Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs. Burton Albion | Saturday 23rd December 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off

2»

Comments

• Options
    If we have any hope of playoffs we need a minimum of eight points (and really targeting 10) from our four festive fixtures. Three of them really need to come against Burton.

I’ll go for a fairly comfortable but uninspiring 2-0 win, Stockton won’t score his trademark worldy against us this time. 
  • Options
    Oshilaja will score.
    Hopefully 2-1 to us.
  • Options
    If, and its a big IF, we have any hope of making the play offs this season then we need to win this game and by more than 2 clear goals to show we mean business. Teams "making a run" turn over teams who have lost 5 on the bounce and our "run" has to start NOW. 

A comfortable 4-0 home win.

• Options
    Another food bank collection today.
  • Options
    3-1 to us, Alfie May to score to break his one match goal drought, Burton goal is a yard wide but the officials give it to continue our recent trend. 
  • Options
    4-1.
  • Options
    I see that they are on a losing run and that we are unbeaten in 6.

Knowing us we’ll give them a leg up.

3-4
  • Options
    3-0 May with a hat trick
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-1 
  • Options
    4-1.
    5-1 - May hat trick, Kanu 2
  • Options
    I’m with Seth on this one

”a must win”
  • Options
    If we don't win this one we can give up any hope of the play offs.
  • Options
    According to Louis Mendez, Charlton games have averaged 3.05 goals a game, the most in this league
  • Options
    AndyG said:

”a must win”
    I think “must wins” are reserved for the matches where, if we don’t win, we are mathematically unable to get promoted/make playoffs/avoid relegation. 

But I would say that we need to win this match or else, whilst still mathematically possible, the playoffs will be a very remote possibility. 
  • Options
    Today I think is one of those matches where we should throw caution to the wind. We know it’s unlikely we will keep a clean sheet but we should be able to outscore them
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    AndyG said:

”a must win”
    I think “must wins” are reserved for the matches where, if we don’t win, we are mathematically unable to get promoted/make playoffs/avoid relegation. 

But I would say that we need to win this match or else, whilst still mathematically possible, the playoffs will be a very remote possibility. 
    And Burton have only scored 1 league goal since 24 October so if we can’t beat them
    we don’t deserve the play offs…
  • Options
    4-1 for me. The lads know what they need to do to stay in it and of late while not spectacular, we’ve proven we have goals in us and have been a bit better at the back eg Hector…
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    We just have to remember not to be home to Dr Cockup!

When I see an opposition teams stats "LLLLL" it sets off a nervous Charlton tick but I surpress that with some pretty heavy cough medication today and predict a 3-1 victory, the only certainty is Stockton scoring for them as our defence switches off whilst daydreaming who their secret Santa is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If that starting 11 can't beat a team who have just lost 5 on the trot then there is no hope of reaching the play offs  
  • Options

If that starting 11 can't beat a team who have just lost 5 on the trot then there is no hope of reaching the play offs  
    1-0 to Burton it is then ...
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    AndyG said:

”a must win”

Problem is then all games just become run of the mill until you get to 10 games to go & have to win all 10 just to scrape 6th.....   assuming 6th 7th & 8th lose all 10 into the bargain. 

You have to start somewhere and playing a team with 5 straight defeats is not a bad place to start  !!!

So, yes, today is a "must win" game.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Ok here goes. 
    LAST FIVE GAMES:

Charlton: WDDWDD

Burton: LLLLL

So if that pattern confines it’s a W for us and an L for them. Yes!

We’ve beaten Burton at home twice in a row at home. 
    If we lose tomorrow any sliver of hope we had of reaching the playoffs will, in my mind, be gone, because if we can’t beat managerless Burton at home the chances of going on the sort of winning run we need  are minuscule. 
    I’m again hoping to see Watson starting over Fraser (probably won’t happen), and Kanu starting over Tedić (50/50 chance).

Would love to see a good strong performance to raise the Christmas spirits at least. 
    Charlton Athletic possible starting lineup:

Maynard-Brewer; T. Watson, Hector, Thomas, Edun; Fraser, Dobson, Campbell; May, Blackett-Taylor, Kanu (but probably Tedić)

Burton Albion possible starting lineup:
    Crocombe; Caprice, Hughes, Sweeney, Seddon; Harper, Powell; Baah, Oshilaja, Bennett; Stockton

Lineups borrowed and adapted from:

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/charlton-athletic/preview/preview-charlton-vs-burton-albion-prediction-team-news-lineups_531908.html#

Last FIVE games WDDWDD?

If that's the case I would play a back four of
    Watson, Hector, Jones, Thomas and Edun and hope no-one was counting...... 🥳

• Options
    LAST FIVE (or six) GAMES:

Charlton: WDDWDD

Burton: LLLLL 

😬