Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Covered End Choir - 1974

edited December 2023 in General Charlton
Fans in the Covered End celebrate the 4th goal, one of a pair from Derek Hales, in the 4 - 2 win over Walsall on 16 Nov 1974.

70s fashion in all its glory.

So own up, who can spot themselves or a friend?

Tom Morris/Charlton Athletic Museum

Comments

• Options
    I reckon I would have been just out of shot as I stood front row behind the goal when I was 12.
  • Options
    I'll be a bit further back at this game. Couple of years earlier I might have been down the front. Great photo though. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    I'll be a bit further back at this game. Couple of years earlier I might have been down the front. Great photo though. 
    Same 👍
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Same 👍
    Same seconded 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Same 👍
    Same here
  • Options
    Great photo. 

It was a great goal, too - shame there is no video footage of it (I was on what we called 'The Big Side' for that game/season).  Not dissimilar to the goal 2 seasons later that won Hales the ITV Golden Goal.  The People very rarely gave players 10 out of 10 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would've been there, resplendent in flares and parka. We all seem to have been leaning on the same barrier though. I would've been behind the goal about four barriers back.
  • Options
    I was 18 then and would have in the Roupell/Broom/ Pickwick or sometimes the Valley since 11. 
  • Options
    I would have attended the match somewhere towards the middle of the covered end.
    Use to love those times and Fellows Park was one place you just knew it would go off.
  • Options
    I would have attended the match somewhere towards the middle of the covered end.
    Use to love those times and Fellows Park was one place you just knew it would go off.
    Didn't it just.
  • Options
    I was there too but nearer the back of the covered end - happy ( younger) days ! 
  • Options
    What was the beef with Walsall?
  • Options
    Great picture 
    would have been in the middle, aged 11
    Great memories, great times doing 
    covered end apprenticeship 
  • Options
    Everyone we bumped into those years we had agro with. Walsall ,Cambridge ,Aldershot,Colcester,Chesterfield,Peterborough.Brighton,Oxford all spring to mind. Could be a removal van involved and pub and not standing in the railway end at Fellows Park.
    Went three times there spent hardly any time in the away end.
  • Options
    9 year old me would have been there on the front row with my Dad behind me.
    Great memories.
    Around that time, I remember getting hit full in the face by a Peter Hunt shot in the pre-match warm up.
    My word did I bawl my eyes out.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm in the third bollock from the right.
  • Options
    I was at this one. Usually stood towards the back of the Covered End with my dad but for some reason for this one I was right down the front by the fence, to the left of the goal (looking from the pitch side). I’d never seen the players so close up and of course we were rampant that day. I had just turned 9 years old.
  • Options
    Would of been on the East Terrace, didn't graduate to the Covered End till I was 13-14 (78-79).
  • Options
    I was there somewhere towards the back of the covered End.
    The 70s was a magical era to follow Charlton home and away. 
    Great memories 
    My favourite time of all with Charlton
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Everyone we bumped into those years we had agro with. Walsall ,Cambridge ,Aldershot,Colcester,Chesterfield,Peterborough.Brighton,Oxford all spring to mind. Could be a removal van involved and pub and not standing in the railway end at Fellows Park.
    some great memories from all those grounds ... and never a quiet moment  ;)
  • Options
    Superb. Would of been 11, so probably on the East with my lunatic uncle.

Some proper barnets in that picture.
  • Options
    21 year old me was on the East Terrace as usual back then.
    We pulverised Walsall, who were a promotion rival at the time, in the first half and went in 4-0 up.
    Took our foot off the gas after the break.
    That fourth goal by Hales was probably better than the one he won goal of the season with a couple of years later.
    We broke from their corner, the ball was played out to Powell on the wing who burst forward, with Hales busting a gut to keep up in the middle.
    When he got about level with their 18 yard line Powell crossed to Hales, who rifled it in on the half volley from the edge of the box. Sensational!
    Was there too, on the terrace between the stand and the covered end.
    Hales finish was first time and unstoppable as you describe it.
    For some reason a Walsall fan was next to me and we had an amiable chat during the game, and he gasped when Hales hit that goal
  • Options
    I was 11, if there I would have been on the East Terrace.
  • Options
    Didn’t know Walsall had an away end 🤓