Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge United | Saturday 9th December 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off

Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge United
Saturday 9th December 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Thomas Kirk

Introduction
I thought about asking Charlton to look after my finest China recently, I'm glad I didnt because they've proven this last week that they don't really do too well with Cups - Saturday saw the Addicks exit the FA Cup with a lacklustre performance against League Two: Gillingham - Charlton then followed that up on Wednesday night with a much improved performance, in the EFL Trophy, however it was penalties that saw us depart that competition, not too many tears were shed to be fair. Now its all focus on the League campaign, is this to be another season that we'll slowly see shattering before our eyes.

The Opposition
Name: Cambridge United (18th) - Manager: Neil Harris
Ground: Abbey Stadium
Previous League Result: Cambridge 0-3 Lincoln

It was to the surprise of many non-Cambridge fans, when the news was confirmed that Mark Bonner had been relieved of duties in Cambridgeshire, he had after all been at the club for 12-years prior in various roles - When you look at the position of our opponents, you have to wonder what they'd expect...

This is their second season back at this level, and lost both their main Striker (Sam Smith > Reading), and main Defender (Lloyd Jones) in the summer, so replacing two figures was always going to be a tough ask for the club, especially when you consider the budgets they're up against - As a result Cambridge sit in 18th spot, four points from the drop zone, so is clearly the reason for the owners removing Bonner - Nor has it helped that they've picked up just one win since the start of September, their form in the first six games (W4 - L2) is no doubt the reason for them being outside of the relegation zone in the first place.

So it leaves the incoming Neil Harris with a lot of work to do... the ex-Gillingham Manager left his previous role early in the season, once again a harsh decision.

Cambridge themselves come to the Valley with just one win on the road all season, and a further two points away from the Abbey Stadium to boot - This is another of those occasions where the Addicks really need to "Kick 'em, whilst they're down" and put their own disappointing week behind them.

Charlton Team News
There will be fears over Michael Appleton's team sheet come 3pm on Saturday afternoon, as yet another injury crisis could be hitting the club - Ironic really, given how recently we've appointed a new Head of Performance - Its fair to suggest that Miles Leaburn cant be called upon for the rest of the season, having picked up an injury against Cheltenham, he could be joined on the injury table by George Dobson, and Lloyd Jones given their early departures at Reading on Wednesday... Lets hope it was as a precaution.

So who comes into the team against Cambridge...? Slobodan Tedic failed to make the squad against Reading, so could well remain out of favour, with Daniel Kanu once again an option in attack, having been recalled from his loan with Southend - Henry Rylah meanwhile showed glimpses of his potential, with Corey Blackett-Taylor missing due to a groin injury - Lets hope he too was another precautionary absence.

Maynard-Brewer
T.Watson - Hector - Jones - Edun
Dobson - L.Watson
Fraser
T.Campbell - May - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Walker - Thomas - Asiimwe - Anderson - Rylah - Kanu - Tedic

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Worried about this one personally, a few Charlton links in the Cambridge squad, just appointed Neil Harris and potentially a new manager bounce. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we win but my head says Harris will come with a plan and will recognise how weak we are atm physically and mentally. The Cambridge players will be looking to impress a no-nonsense manager. 

I am going 2-1 Cambridge
  • Options
    No messing about tomorrow. 4-1 home win, May with 2.
  • Options
    Feel he may start Tedic with Campbell being on the bench. 2-0 CAFC
  • Options
    Big game. Defeat will be a blow especially as we are away to Barnsley the following weekend. Things will be grim going into Xmas if we don't win this one. I am going 1-1. Concerned that CBT will miss out and his injury is more significant than we think. No reason for thinking this other than our atrocious record of injuries. Draw not good enough. UTA. 
  • Options
    Unbeaten in our last 4 league games, however we need a win and
    a performance tomorrow to kick on again against a Cambridge side with a new manager in tow

Not a give me 3 points this one 

• Options
    big need to quell fan unrest, justified or not .. after a bit of a resurgence, the students have lost the last three, I expect us to make that four on the bounce, BUT I am putting no money on it
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Horrible last week or so following this club in the cups but a bit of perspective required.

Unbeaten in four in the league, with eight points from those four: Wigan (A), Pompey (A), Carlisle (A), Cheltenham (H).

The bookies have us best priced at 8/13. This should be a home win.

We have a very good record at home and I expect us to keep it rolling. 2-1 to the Addicks.

Appleton needs to find a solution to the striker problem because I don’t think playing May up top on his own against Michael Morrison and co. is going to yield particularly good results.
  • Options
    If Dobbo and Jones are fit then I think we will win comfortably 3-0. Without either we will struggle and will lose 1-2. Like others, I am a bit worried about the Neil Harris bounce! Come on boys, we really need to win this to keep in touch with those above us.
  • Options
    Hoping for a good solid home win...

1-1
  • Options
    Hoping for lots of sideways and backwards passing and that we only select one striker and play him in defence. Genius. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Hope we win the toss, otherwise expect we will be playing towards the Covered End first half.
    Harris will know this does not suit us.
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    1-1 and yet another mid table Bore fest season keeps rolling on …. 💤 
  • Options
    It's a game we should be winning but the way we have been playing of late I am not confident that we will get the result we need 
    Hope I am wrong but a draw is on the cards 

• Options
    edited December 2023
    We can't say December is a make or break month as even of we have a great one, it won't make us! However it is potentially a break one if we lose touch with the play offs so this game is vitally important. 
  • Options
    The portents for this one aren't good and, were I a betting man, I'd be lumping on a Cambridge win. Of course I'l be cock a hoop should we win, doing cartwheels of joy around the living room and swinging from the chandeliers regardless of how we play.
    1-2.
  • Options
    A bit of a must win really, just to dampen down some of  the negativity.

The number of injuries is concerning though. Leaburn, Aneke, Taylor, Camara, McGrandles definitely out. Jones, Dobson, Edun and CBT with issues.
  • Options
    Not confident, just hopeful, 1-0.
  • Options
    Can’t let Tedic anywhere near that side. 
    Send him back sharpish. 
  • Options
    Real free hit for Cambridge and Chopper. I reckon at least 1 of the 3 50/50s will not make it and we will struggle. The injury curse only ruins your season if your squad is paper thin. 1-0 Cambridge, rubbish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Real free hit for Cambridge and Chopper. I reckon at least 1 of the 3 50/50s will not make it and we will struggle. The injury curse only ruins your season if your squad is paper thin. 1-0 Cambridge, rubbish.
    We're missing Aneke, Leaburn, Camara, McGrandles, Taylor, Isted, and maybe Dobbo, Edun, and Jones. There's no team at this level that wouldn't struggle without that many potential starters. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    My "lol" was for the not trusting this team with your China line.

Yeah, what others have said, I hate that it comes against a team with a potential new manager bounce, and Neil Harris at that. 

That said, the league, and especially the home league, form of late has been good. We weren't great against Cheltenham but we won. We were good against Carlisle and we didn't. Leaburn and Aneke are obviously big misses. I'm probably in the minority in that I would start Tedic. Bennett and Morro will give him a hard time, but if you play it to his feet he can link up play, plus his movement seems clever in the box and he has shown some ability to create space there. It also allows Alfie May to play in the 10 and potentially run at and in behind their two CBs.

We weren't terrible with May up front on his own on Wednesday, we did pretty well at keeping it on the deck, but I just feel when May is up front on his own he spends a lot of time occupying their CBs and trying to get in behind them, and we lose some of his ability to get on the ball in deeper areas, or to make runs into the box from deeper. I cannot imagine Cambridge will play as high of a line as Reading did (which they can do because Abbey is rapid), so that will negate the balls over the top. 

I don't predict scorelines and I'm not going to start now. But I am expecting a better performance than what we've seen in the Cups over the last week, even though we weren't terrible on Wednesday. Fraser in the other midfield role, hopefully Dobbo, Jones, and Edun fit to start.
  • Options
    COYR 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I think this has got all the makings of a defeat.
  • Options
    A great deal will depend upon the fitness (or otherwise) of Dobbo, Jones and Blackett-Taylor. I would much prefer to see Kanu starting than Tedic, who was exceptionally poor last week and who has really shown nothing so far.

With a tough game at Barnsley next week, we really need the 3 points, although I can see this one ending up all square.
  • Options
    Always difficult when a new manager takes over late in the week you done all your planning on how the team as set up etc etc but now at the last min you don’t know how there going to line up or play .. 

going for a tight 2-1 win 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    We're missing Aneke, Leaburn, Camara, McGrandles, Taylor, Isted, and maybe Dobbo, Edun, and Jones. There's no team at this level that wouldn't struggle without that many potential starters. 
    And CBT also injured so on the maybe list
  • Options
    Fuck all these excuses they are shit , we will win .

Our next 3 dull as fuck home fixtures for the dull as fuck club we love are against the boat race mobs with a Burton in between , let’s hope the filling is not where our season is going .