Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Overseas dental implants

2»

Comments

• For those who have had them done, is getting any Dental treatment back here in England any harder? - My wife is looking to need implants herself, but has been told by her current Dentist that if she goes abroad for Implants, they wont see her going forward.

Blimey that dentist sounds a right one. I'd be taking my custom elsewhere after a comment like that.

I used to buy various musical instruments from one particular music shop. The thing that really used to upset him was potential customers coming into the shop, trying out various guitars, for example, seeking his advice and then saying "I'll have a think about it". In a lot of cases they were never seen again but some would return - with a replica of the guitar that they looked at in his shop but bought over the internet and needed fixing because something had broken. The "after care" service, he would argue, should come from the outfit that they bought the instrument from. Of course, the internet provider offered no such thing though, ultimately, I suspect that it was the inability to compete with those that caused him to close down a few years ago. 

I suspect, though, that the Dentist refusing to treat the patient going forward isn't just down to cost/professionalism but their own liability insurance i.e. initial work gets done abroad but there are issues later. Patient doesn't want to have to go abroad again so is more likely to go back to their Dentist here to sort it out. Patient isn't then happy with the ultimate result and seeks to seek compensation from the Dentist that tried to rectify the situation because they probably have little or no right of recourse against the one abroad. Their own liability insurance might, on that basis, prevent them from doing such work for that reason. 
  • edited December 2023
    For those who have had them done, is getting any Dental treatment back here in England any harder? - My wife is looking to need implants herself, but has been told by her current Dentist that if she goes abroad for Implants, they wont see her going forward.

Blimey that dentist sounds a right one. I'd be taking my custom elsewhere after a comment like that.

I used to buy various musical instruments from one particular music shop. The thing that really used to upset him was potential customers coming into the shop, trying out various guitars, for example, seeking his advice and then saying "I'll have a think about it". In a lot of cases they were never seen again but some would return - with a replica of the guitar that they looked at in his shop but bought over the internet and needed fixing because something had broken. The "after care" service, he would argue, should come from the outfit that they bought the instrument from. Of course, the internet provider offered no such thing though, ultimately, I suspect that it was the inability to compete with those that caused him to close down a few years ago. 

I suspect, though, that the Dentist refusing to treat the patient going forward isn't just down to cost/professionalism but their own liability insurance i.e. initial work gets done abroad but there are issues later. Patient doesn't want to have to go abroad again so is more likely to go back to their Dentist here to sort it out. Patient isn't then happy with the ultimate result and seeks to seek compensation from the Dentist that tried to rectify the situation because they probably have little or no right of recourse against the one abroad. Their own liability insurance might, on that basis, prevent them from doing such work for that reason. 

But who is to stay that another dentists work is going to be poor? Does the dentist know where they are going to get the work done, and the quality of that work? Or is this dentist going broad brush approach, and every dentist abroad is rubbish and therefore a risk.

Smacks to me of someone who just wants the work for themselves and is using this as a way to strong arm the customer.

• For those who have had them done, is getting any Dental treatment back here in England any harder? - My wife is looking to need implants herself, but has been told by her current Dentist that if she goes abroad for Implants, they wont see her going forward.

But who is to stay that another dentists work is going to be poor? Does the dentist know where they are going to get the work done, and the quality of that work? Or is this dentist going broad brush approach, and every dentist abroad is rubbish and therefore a risk.

Smacks to me of someone who just wants the work for themselves and is using this as a way to strong arm the customer.

A dentist is perfectly within their right to refuse to do that work as customers have every right to choose who they use to look after their teeth. If you're happy to take that risk then fine but don't expect someone else to pick up the pieces if things don't work out as this is all about a dentist here not wanting to take responsibility for the work of another dentist, especially for work that is done in a country that does not enjoy the same level of regulation, legal or insurance protection that is provided here. You might well find a dentist here that is prepared to undertake that remedial work but it might not be easy to do so or cheap or painless.

I've just done a quick search on Google and below are just a few articles that explain the situation and potential issues:

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2022-07-27/why-are-people-travelling-abroad-for-tiktok-turkey-teeth

https://www.evodental.com/evo-blog/are-problems-with-dental-implants-abroad-covered-with-insurance/#:~:text=Bad practice, poor equipment and,are travelling for dental treatment.

https://www.treatmentabroad.com/cosmetic-dentistry-abroad/guide/what-if-something-goes-wrong

• edited December 2023
    For those who have had them done, is getting any Dental treatment back here in England any harder? - My wife is looking to need implants herself, but has been told by her current Dentist that if she goes abroad for Implants, they wont see her going forward.

A dentist is perfectly within their right to refuse to do that work as customers have every right to choose who they use to look after their teeth. If you're happy to take that risk then fine but don't expect someone else to pick up the pieces if things don't work out as this is all about a dentist here not wanting to take responsibility for the work of another dentist, especially for work that is done in a country that does not enjoy the same level of regulation, legal or insurance protection that is provided here. You might well find a dentist here that is prepared to undertake that remedial work but it might not be easy to do so or cheap or painless.

I've just done a quick search on Google and below are just a few articles that explain the situation and potential issues:

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2022-07-27/why-are-people-travelling-abroad-for-tiktok-turkey-teeth

https://www.evodental.com/evo-blog/are-problems-with-dental-implants-abroad-covered-with-insurance/#:~:text=Bad practice, poor equipment and,are travelling for dental treatment.

https://www.treatmentabroad.com/cosmetic-dentistry-abroad/guide/what-if-something-goes-wrong

Great headline by ITV in the link you provided, had me chuckling this morning.
    Of course a dentist can refuse to treat, and that does mean a customer can vote with their feet.

In my mind the real question is why do people feel the need to go abroad? It is obvious the cost of private dentistry is too high for your average person. If you don't want dentures then expect to pay a huge sum to have implants.

Are these huge sums value for money? I guess only the patients can confirm.
    Essentially we have been let down by nature, at least 3 sets of teeth are needed, or perhaps like rabbits where they never stop growing 😅
  • Thanks for your invaluable feedback.  I knew CL would not disappoint.
  • Slightly off topic but still related.  The outfit that advertised heavily on TV - Smile Direct Club - have gone bust. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67675431
  • A friend of mine did the Turkey trip, had all his teeth filed down on day one, and on day two they all got capped. His teeth look great now and he's extremely happy with them. 

Like above, when I mentioned to my dentist she said that it was riskier than doing it here, and that if there were any problems, I would have to go back to Turkey to get things fixed. That's what put me off. That and having my teeth filed down, which truth be told, sounds horrendous enough for me to stick with wonky teeth. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    A friend of mine did the Turkey trip, had all his teeth filed down on day one, and on day two they all got capped. His teeth look great now and he's extremely happy with them. 

Like above, when I mentioned to my dentist she said that it was riskier than doing it here, and that if there were any problems, I would have to go back to Turkey to get things fixed. That's what put me off. That and having my teeth filed down, which truth be told, sounds horrendous enough for me to stick with wonky teeth. 
    Capping is a cosmetic procedure though, whereas people get implants to replace missing teeth. Partially for appearance reasons, but also to improve chewing and to protect their other teeth - teeth tends to move towards any gap.
  • I've had implants done here, and the process took 4 months, so I'm puzzled how these overseas dentists can be so quick.

After the titanium rods were drilled into the jaw, my dentist left it for 3 months to heal properly before moving to the next stage
    As an aside, after a few years the "crown" part of the implants  started coming loose, and dentist who did the implant stuck them back down in 5 minutes, and for no charge. I'm not sure what happens if you get work done abroad, and need something fixing a few years on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Had it been affordable in England then naturally I would have had the work done here, I really had no choice.

There's always a risk, home or abroad I don't think its any riskier having it done overseas. The surgery was state of the art, there wasn't a hammer and chisel in sight.

On my second visit to Budapest to complete the work, I did spend 5 hours in the chair on the first day but didn't feel a thing, nor was there any pain afterwards.

The good thing about Vital Europe is that they have a London office, so some things can be done in London but the costlier work is much cheaper in Budapest.

Its still early days but I have no regrets so far.
  • Just sat in the orthodontists waiting for my braces to be fitted… 😬 Good luck to anyone who is looking to get any kind of work done on their teeth. I think it’s personal preference and don’t judge, but I have gone down the UK treatment route. 
  • I went to Dental Centre Antalya in 2018 and had top and bottom teeth replaced with implants. It was one of my better decisions in life, I can now smile with confidence, the negativity about this dental procedure should be determined by others experience and not speculation, mine and the wife's dental implants were successful. They completed the treatment in six days, the surgeries were immaculate, the dental surgeons were excellent and the cost a fraction of UK prices.
  • I used to think as ODI standing for One Day International ... until this thread started.