Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POSTp22): Gillingham vs Charlton Athletic: FA CupšŸ†(2): Sat 2nd Dec 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• Options
    WorstĀ ever display I have ever seen was the 5-0 defeat at Watford a few years ago.

If anyone there today was also at that Watford game, interested to know which they thought was worse.
    Ā 
    Watford was miles worse.Ā 
    The day the protests started.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    NabySarr said:
    The problem playing May in his best position is that we only have him and CBT that can score goals even close to reliably. In that situation, it can be an advantage for him making late runs rtaher than have two men on him all the time. Stats show he has scored more for us playing out of position than in the central role so not sure why Appleton is getting criticism for that. The problem lies elsewhere in the team/squad and I strongly suspect that Appleton is trying to find a way round it.Ā 
    He scores plenty in the 10, but the debate is more about whether him playing there isnā€™t actually helping us as we can then only play 2 central midfielders. We lose some control and are less protected defensively.Ā 

I think Appleton is aware of this, hence why he has been playing him on the right a bit, but then May doesnā€™t look as likely to get into scoring areas, so that hasnā€™t worked great either.Ā 

3-5-2 is the simple solution but Appleton seems to be one of those managers that will never stray far away from his preferred systemĀ 
    It is a good point and there are other options like playing 4-3-3 and god forbid players swapping positions through the game which really shouldn't be beyond even League One players. Holden was moving towards a 3-5-2 but didn't have the fit players. But it has been noticeable in previous seasons how poor we are in terms of second ball and that must go beyond formations. I think Appleton can still get it right and to achieve that he does need a bit of backing to bring a bit of steel in the side to go with some undoubted quality.
  • Options
    I usually find a positive. Nothing to pick out here, nobody in a Charlton shirt on that pitch seemed to give a shit. They should refund every travelling fan's ticket cost out of their own pockets.Ā 

Ā 
    Im not after a refund.Ā  Its all a load of nonsense as a PR exercise.Ā 
  • Options
    I am thinking that Apples sent everyone out there yesterday with his fingers crossed behind his back, and the important stuff... ie the league, at the back of his mind, as he said in the after match interview, looking over his shoulder.. "That is what he has to work with till Jan"...the injury list is growing daily it seems and the league has to be a priority at least till then, when hopefully someone has a plan for some new faces, because if not we are stuffed, so a case of have a go, but stay out of trouble scenario...just sayingšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Gillingham clearly wanted it more than us. Fought for every ball. Not too down. What we need to do is stay in range and then replace some of the weak players we have in January (I don'y just mean physically but mentally too). Also some young players needs loan. Ness is so mistake ridden it cannot be ignored.
    Problem is I don't trust Scott to replace them with anyone better and for Appleton to then get them playing as a team.Ā 
    Christ, weā€™re not going to start calling for yet another manager sacking are we?? Is that what people want?
    We want another new manger bounce. It has been how we have survived in league 1.
    Should do it 3 times a season and we may get the points for promotion.
    2 defeats in 13 league games since Holdenā€™s departure. Weā€™re in very little danger of going down this season.

I think(?) you were joking in your response but yeah, thereā€™s really no point getting rid of Appleton now. In fact, he got a good review from Andy Scott in the latest sit down chat only 48 hours ago.
    If we carry on with this ratio we could end up in the play-offs.
    In the main Appleton is turning things around.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Appleton was supposed to be a manager who comes in and improves young players. But since he's been here...

Leaburn:Ā Once looked like he could breeze this league, now in arguably his worst period of formĀ 
    TC: Form dropped off a cliff
    Ness:Ā A shadow of his former self
    Watson:Ā Form & confidence dippingĀ 
    Asiimwe:Ā Looked useful under Holden, now looks anything but
    Anderson:Ā Looked decent earlier in season, now not playing
    Chem:Ā Frozen out
    Abankwah:Ā Frozen out

Has a single young player not gone backwards under his tenure?
    Chunes, the players mentioned probably should be looked at more closely. Leaburn, Ness, Asiimwe, TC and Anderson are young players, in the main, not above twenty years of age, their form will ebb and flow and in my opinion we are a year away from them nailing down a place in the team. Watson, in my humble opinion has had one bad game and that, by all accounts, was yesterday. As for Abankwah and Chem, cant say i've been impressed or that they should be playing. But can I take it you want Appleton out ?Ā 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redbuttle said:
    Melrose said:
    redbuttle said:
    Melrose said:
    Awful no bottle or heart.Ā 

Appleton knows a lot of these are not good enough. Ā I just hope he can get them out and replace with players he wants.Ā 
    Appleton needs replacing as well
    He inherited this bunch of bottle jobs. How do you think he feels? . I actually think we know now after hearing his post match interviewĀ 

He has no idea of a compact competitive formation. He keeps playing May out wide on the right. He continues to play Tedic. He's another Adkins type, had some success in the past, but we'll past his sell by date. In his defence Scott's acquisitions have been appalling
    So what should the club do ? Sack another manager and start again. Let's see what happens in January.Ā 
    Irrespective of where we finish Appleton should start next season and he'd have had two windows with hopefully getting players in that HE wants.
  • Options
    Worst thing is people wanting a refund. Obviously started supported charlton this year or itā€™s their first away game or something.
    Errr - I have been to many many home and away games since 1976 - and I did post about a refund - this was out of anger and frustration - I donā€™t mind seeing us lose (letā€™s face it, thatā€™s an occupational hazard supporting Charlton) - what I do mind, is losing when the players are abject, no effort, donā€™t seem to care etc etc

All of us in that away yesterday were freezing our nuts off, in what is an utter disgrace of a ā€˜standā€™ (the late great Brian Moore must be spinning in his grave to have it named after him !!) - the minimum I expect is that our players at least tryā€¦.
    Fair enough. It wasn't personally at you and not a serious comment.
  • Options
    I am thinking that Apples sent everyone out there yesterday with his fingers crossed behind his back, and the important stuff... ie the league, at the back of his mind, as he said in the after match interview, looking over his shoulder.. "That is what he has to work with till Jan"...the injury list is growing daily it seems and the league has to be a priority at least till then, when hopefully someone has a plan for some new faces, because if not we are stuffed, so a case of have a go, but stay out of trouble scenario...just sayingšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
    I think he even mentioned in his post match interview that we have a midweek match then it gets serious again next Saturday. So I think the club in general just aren't that bothered about these cup games. If we lose midweek but win next Saturday with a good performance, even the fans will forget about the cups pretty quick and be looking upwards in the table.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Appleton was supposed to be a manager who comes in and improves young players. But since he's been here...

Leaburn:Ā Once looked like he could breeze this league, now in arguably his worst period of formĀ 
    TC: Form dropped off a cliff
    Ness:Ā A shadow of his former self
    Watson:Ā Form & confidence dippingĀ 
    Asiimwe:Ā Looked useful under Holden, now looks anything but
    Anderson:Ā Looked decent earlier in season, now not playing
    Chem:Ā Frozen out
    Abankwah:Ā Frozen out

Has a single young player not gone backwards under his tenure?
    He's probably used to being free to play youngsters when he wants, and when it would benefit them, rather than having to start them every game when they're clearly not ready.

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Iā€™m not in the ā€œAppleton outā€ posse but what I will say is between yesterday and the Cray Valley game he has produced two of the worst ever Charlton performances in my 47 years.

i expect a proper response in the league next week but with our shortage of strikers this is going to be difficult
    Hull 6-0 was not very good.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    @Bailey No, I don't want Appleton out. It's possible to criticise without demanding removal.Ā 
    Ok mate, for what it's worth, I think some of those players should have been loaned out in an ideal world, but Charlton is far from an ideal world.Ā 
  • Options
    I think he even mentioned in his post match interview that we have a midweek match then it gets serious again next Saturday. So I think the club in general just aren't that bothered about these cup games. If we lose midweek but win next Saturday with a good performance, even the fans will forget about the cups pretty quick and be looking upwards in the table.
    Maybe we should stop buying tickets for cup games.
    Or perhaps the club should write a polite letter to the FA and EFL asking if they wouldn't mind awfully in futureĀ  removing CAFC from the cup draw, as it is all rather inconvenient what with all our injuries and trying to prioritise the league and all and some of our fans do get unreasonably cross when the players can't be arsed
    Spot on, we've not been arsed about the FA cup since the days it actually mattered.Ā 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    A night and morning of consideration, to come to the same conclusion as everybody else who has posted. An absolute shambles of a performance, completely heartless & gutless. Second best to every ball, with Lapslie showing the sort of determination sadly lacking throughout the Charlton team. That isnā€™t to say Iā€™d want any of the Gillingham players at Charlton, but this group of ours is so far below the standard required. Some decent players, but not consistent enough and not enough of them. Some youngsters who have flattered to deceive and who need to be sent out on loan to L2 or national league. Not a single player, or the manager, comes out of yesterday with any credit, but Tedic (send him back asap), Campbell, CBT, Ness and Watson (admittedly his worst performance for us) were shocking.

Only positives were seeing a few old friends, a decent pub in Chatham, not having to buy a ticket for the train home and the comfort of a heated jacket & Nordic socks for standing on that excuse of an away end. Ā 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Chunes said:
    @Bailey No, I don't want Appleton out. It's possible to criticise without demanding removal.Ā 
    Ok mate, for what it's worth, I think some of those players should have been loaned out in an ideal world, but Charlton is far from an ideal world.Ā 
    Nevertheless, it's remarkable that all eight youngsters have gone backwards.Ā 
  • Options

Charlton fans suddenly caring about the FA Cup where was everyone at the valley v Cray Valley ā€¦ ??? fact is the game was a pain in the bum for us we knew it was Gillingham final and MA was forced to play a team he most likey did not want to ā€¦ and said before it was a case as they walked out the door ā€œ just donā€™t do anything to get injured ā€œ and you could tell that in the performanceĀ 
    You didn't go did you
    He doesn't go to away games.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Iā€™m not in the ā€œAppleton outā€ posse but what I will say is between yesterday and the Cray Valley game he has produced two of the worst ever Charlton performances in my 47 years.

i expect a proper response in the league next week but with our shortage of strikers this is going to be difficult
    Nor me butā€¦Gary Rowett is out of work.Ā 
    Would be a perfect fit.Ā 

• Options
    Don't bother getting rid of Appleton. We saw after sacking Holden the calibre of managers willing to take the job.Ā 
    What we don't know is who applied and who the SE7 clowns were prepared to bring in.
    Absolutely ridiculous of any talk of getting rid of the manager.
    Football fans nowadays do not have a clue. When I started going in '76 there was such a thing as giving a contract to a manager, giving him time, and normally serving the contract.
    Stability is a word non existent now in football.Ā  Football stinks.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Melrose said:
    redbuttle said:
    Melrose said:
    Awful no bottle or heart.Ā 

Appleton knows a lot of these are not good enough. Ā I just hope he can get them out and replace with players he wants.Ā 
    Appleton needs replacing as well
    He inherited this bunch of bottle jobs. How do you think he feels? . I actually think we know now after hearing his post match interviewĀ 

He has no idea of a compact competitive formation. He keeps playing May out wide on the right. He continues to play Tedic. He's another Adkins type, had some success in the past, but we'll past his sell by date. In his defence Scott's acquisitions have been appalling
    So what should the club do ? Sack another manager and start again. Let's see what happens in January.Ā 
    Irrespective of where we finish Appleton should start next season and he'd have had two windows with hopefully getting players in that HE wants.
    Not sure about a manager getting two windows. It's league 1, how can we trust him and be sure he will be given the funds and then be able to get promoted, he's never done it before and I don't see him as a long term manager as he isn't championship quality which is where we want to be.Ā 

It's the same old, get an average manager in, say he doesn't have his players (whatever that means) and then when they inevitably get sacked, the cycle starts again.Ā  He's a football coach, he's paid to coach the players and improve them tactically. I don't see any of these players getting better.Ā 

I'm not saying he should get sacked as it would genuinely be pointless. We need owners who are actually willing to spend the price it will take to get the higher tier players and a proper manager. It has nothing to do with where we are as a club but simply down to ambition, aka money. We need to spend to get out of this league and we just don't have the juice for it.

Our best hope is, we luckily get promoted, get another set of owners who come in and buy the club and hope that roll of the dice works. I know I'll probably get someone say to me, 'they've just got here', but we should all know by now the type of takeover this is. None of these people involved have our best interests at heart or care, they just want to boost their own egos or try and make some cash from our situation somehow.

Or maybe I'm wrong and in January they'll actually show signs of life and spend money on the players good enough to get us promoted and all will be well..

Edit: wasn't entirely aiming this at you Elf, just generally, that's the view on managers in CAFC
    So on the basis of a manager only being allowed one window to show what he can do, we'd have two managers or more a season.
    I'm not sure that is a recipe for success.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Hull 6-0 was not very good.
    Not to mention the 5-0 capitulation 4 days earlier in midweek at Huddersfield, both of which I had the misfortune to watch šŸ˜‰.