Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Carlisle Utd Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 25th November 2023 : KO 3:00 PM

Back to the good old Bread & Butter of league one today, with a trip up north to Brunton Park, where it has proved to be a good hunting ground for us in the past, our last meeting came at Brunton Park in April 2012, when Bradley Wright-Phillips fired us to a 1-0 triumph that sealed promotion back to the Championship
Carlisle United will be hoping for a bumper crowd to welcome their apparent saviour's, Castle Sports Group from over the pond, sounds familiar huh...🤔.., and the new owners will be in the crowd to watch their first match, looking at the league table, they sit third from bottom with a pretty poor scoring record of 13/20,,... I am sure  we will turn up and ruin the day for the lot of 'em, and send 'em home pointless...maybe an Alfie hat trick, now that would be nice...👍

anyway here we go...

Conor McGrandles and Scott Fraser will both start this afternoon's match at Brunton Park.

The duo come in for Louie Watson and Tyreece Campbell, who move to the bench, as Michael Appleton makes two changes from the Addicks' last league outing at Portsmouth a fortnight ago.

The Addicks are expected to line-up in a 4-3-3 formation with Tennai Watson, Michael Hector, Lloyd Jones and Tayo Edun starting in a back four in front of goalkeeper Ashley Maynard-Brewer.

McGrandles and Fraser join captain George Dobson in midfield, behind a front three of Alfie May, Miles Leaburn and Corey Blackett-Taylor.

Louie Watson and Tyreece Campbell are joined on the bench by Sam Walker, Nathan Asiimwe, Lucas Ness, Terell Thomas and Slobodan Tedić.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; T.Watson, Hector, Jones, Edun; Dobson (c), McGrandles, Fraser; May, Leaburn, Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes: Walker, Asiimwe, Ness, Thomas, L.Watson, T.Campbell, Tedić

Comments

• Options
    Would prefer to see Louie Watson over Fraser... But lets see how we get on first.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    No Louie Watson 😭 not sure why he's not a regular. Three defenders on the bench is maybe a bit much. 
  • Options
    Hope Cory is at the races this afternoon, he looks like the key.
  • Options
    I doubt there’s anyone on here that would prefer Fraser…but presumably he’s done that for a reason.
  • Options
    Carlisle: Holy, Armer, Moxon, Lavelle (c), Gibson, Whelan, McGeouch, Mellish, Barclay, Plange, Emmanuel

Subs: Breeze, Edmondson, Butterworth, Robinson, Maguire, Fitzpatrick, O’Brien
  • Options
    Too often minces around the park Fraser for me. 
  • Options
    Feel for Louie Watson. Consistently one of our best players when he starts yet on the bench.

• Options
    I had forgotten that Lavelle was there and captain as well to boot

good to see what McGrandles can do in a league fixture I hope he can kick on. 

If CBT can put a shift in we should have miles too much for them 1-3 with another brace from our Alfie
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Both L. Watson & T. Campbell should be in the line up imo. 

And Lavelle to score from a corner. 
  • Options
    Both L. Watson & T. Campbell should be in the line up imo. 

And Lavelle to score from a corner. 
    Nice OG would be appreciated..👍
  • Options
    I thought he would bring in Fraser for more stability in midfield and switch May to the right. 

Didn't think he'd bring in McGrandles. Both McGrandles and Fraser have been in better form so I get it. 

Biggest surprise for me is if we're 4-3-3. Starting Fraser a little deeper makes sense, but we've been so staunchly 4-2-3-1 even with a third midfielder that's it would be surprising. I do think it's the way to go, I think it's something that needed to be tried at some point, but we'll see how it shakes out. 

• Options
    No idea what Fraser has done in recent weeks to warrant a start. Very harsh on Louis Watson. Would much prefer to see Chem Campbell on the bench in place of Thomas as well.
  • Options
    Happy with May on the right, think it’s underestimated how hard it must be to prepare your defence for us. May can play 4 different positions and Leaburn can play a few too 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I thought he would bring in Fraser for more stability in midfield and switch May to the right. 

Didn't think he'd bring in McGrandles. Both McGrandles and Fraser have been in better form so I get it. 

Biggest surprise for me is if we're 4-3-3. Starting Fraser a little deeper makes sense, but we've been so staunchly 4-2-3-1 even with a third midfielder that's it would be surprising. I do think it's the way to go, I think it's something that needed to be tried at some point, but we'll see how it shakes out. 

I haven’t seen either Fraser’s better form, nor the solidity that he provides 
  • Options
    I don’t get the C Campbell thing I think he has looked decent whenever he has played not to make the bench again he must have pissed Apples off surely 
  • Options
    Carlisle is virtually in Scotland, so the two Jocks in our midfield should feel at home  ;)

I much prefer 3 midfielders for away games, rather than 2 plus May.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Happy with May on the right, think it’s underestimated how hard it must be to prepare your defence for us. May can play 4 different positions and Leaburn can play a few too 
    May and Leaburn need to regularly rotate their positions. Natural for May, whereas Miles is still learning his trade
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Fraser goes missing as not the hardest of workers. Technically the best but won't be up and down the pitch. Would have preferred Watson to start. 

Gotta good feeling Leaburns form will start to improve from today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No idea what Fraser has done in recent weeks to warrant a start. Very harsh on Louis Watson. Would much prefer to see Chem Campbell on the bench in place of Thomas as well.
    Agree.  He’s a flake of a player.  Managers seem to accept that he shies away from games in the hope he has something in his locker re: final ball/creativity etc. for me, he doesn’t even do that well 

He’s weaseled his way back in, and Louie Watson is much better in my opinion.  

Oh well, he’ll probably go and score the winner now and make this comment look stupid 
  • Options
    Can see Louis and TC coming on second half for Fraser and CBT, has to be a reason why Louis isn't starting...
  • Options
    Good to see Lisbie in the studio...
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    There's a lot more tackles in midfield with McGrandles and Dobson both starting. Should be an interesting game. 

We always look a better team with Watson over Fraser but ho hum. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I don’t get the C Campbell thing I think he has looked decent whenever he has played not to make the bench again he must have pissed Apples off surely 
    It's strange as he always seems to put the effort in when he does get a chance. Unless he doesn't do the same in training. 
  • Options
    Contracted 11.
  • Options
    Happy for McGrandles that he's earned his way into a league starting line-up but I do feel like Appleton has a bit of a blindspot with Watson. I know he's got some concerns about players running off him which I guess he'll feel is less likely to happen with McGrandles, and he'll want Fraser so it's a less workmanlike midfield against a lower down team but I think we always lose something without Watson. The reality is though that midfield should be enough to keep hold of the ball and create something, though Fraser is going to have to make sure he imposes himself a lot more on the game rather than letting it pass him by
  • Options

With apologies in advance, I'm really hoping I'm going to be thinking "Holy('s) Shit!!!!" a lot this afternoon...

• Options
    Bet Alfie will be hoping he can keep out of the refs book today with Tuesday's match against Cheltenham coming up, he wouldn't want to miss that one I am sure...
  • Options
    I like Fraser - our most creative player.  Has a certain calmness about him that balances the side better IMO - although Watson is a terrific player but we have another game Tuesday night so think Appleton is rotating a bit.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!