Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cray away - was that the toughest game to get tickets for ?

2»

Comments

• SE7toSG3 said:
    DA9 said:
    Remember meeting a guy in a Luton pub who was a Charlton fan, handing out memberships to people, he was local IIRC.
    Was set up beforehand by a friend of a friend, I was a girl called Gemma from Luton 😂
    That was me, I was in Welwyn Garden City at the time,  still have a couple of those plastic membership cards in the loft. It was a shit pub though from memory.
    The brewery tap?
  • I saw faces on the TV who I know would have nowhere near enough points to qualify
    Me and my lad benefited from the Valley Gold aspect. Don’t agree with it myself, though it helped me on this occasion. There weren’t too many of us actual fans who bothered with the game at The Valley so feel a bit more comfortable about that. 
    I'm thinking the VG allowance was manipulated slightly for this no?, I'm sure it's never worth that many points or so high up the list. Last year with Man Utd I was something like tier 6/7 with 300 points and VG.

My memory is garbage so I'm probably remembering that wrong. 
  • Your memory isbetter than mine, big Lee and Mark Humphries were there, we did it a couple of years running and one we got gubbed 5-2? 
  • I I think Bolton’s final game ever at Burnden Park we had very few tickets for, but equally there was very little demand to go with it. Anyone remember that?
    we offered to take a reduced allocation because it was the last game but I don't remember any issues with getting a ticket. a lot of problems getting there though as the IRA called in a load of bomb threats and the motorways were all screwed, I never got close to making the game, assume I've still got the unused ticket somewhere
  • For people talking about Orient, whilst obviously going to be more in demand, surely somewhere like Fleetwood is a smaller allocation?

A 1200 allocation for a league one side isn't so bad really in proportion to the level. PL teams getting 1100 for Luton and about 1300 for Bournemouth is far worse.
  • edited November 2023
    The home and away EFL trophy games all add up over the course of a 2 year cycle as well, and most of the time the away games don’t involve major all-day journeys. 
  • Strangely, I personally recognised more fans in 280 last night than the 2,100 at Pompey on Saturday!
    I'd say the same from watching on TV. I saw lots of faces from away games over the decades and felt pleased it was them who got the tickets. 
    Nice close-up of Headphones Norm!
  • For people talking about Orient, whilst obviously going to be more in demand, surely somewhere like Fleetwood is a smaller allocation?

A 1200 allocation for a league one side isn't so bad really in proportion to the level. PL teams getting 1100 for Luton and about 1300 for Bournemouth is far worse.
    That’s why teams that can’t offer 3k allocations for visiting fans shouldn’t be allowed to go into the PL. 
  • DA9 said:
    Had to explain to my Spurs season ticket holding other half, who headphones norm was when I saw him and mentioned his name.
    I had exactly the same conversation with my son.

"There's Headphones Norm"

"Who?"
  • LOL, sat alone at home, even I went blimy “Headphones Norm”… now I reckon iv been seeing him since my teens. He still looks exactly the same, are we sure it’s not Norm junior has inherited the family hat a phones. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Was going to post very similar. Been part of Charlton for as long as I can remember
  • LOL, sat alone at home, even I went blimy “Headphones Norm”… now I reckon iv been seeing him since my teens. He still looks exactly the same, are we sure it’s not Norm junior has inherited the family hat a phones. 
    I thought at the home game v Cray how little he’s changed.

Proper Charlton legend
  • Remember Bolton away in the FA Cup....there were just 200 tickets left on the last day of sale (I was a member but not a ST holder), left home (was Well Hall Rd then) at 5am in the morning got to the ground and queued for a good 4 hours to get tickets for myself and a few mates, I had to do it as I lived nearest the ground.
  • Great tale @Fanny Fanackapan loved those days on that coach. 
  • Another really tough game to get tickets for was the away leg of the Ipswich play off semi final in 1998.

As others have said Bolton away in the FA Cup 2000  was tough to get tickets for - the old memory isnt what it used to be but its telling me that Claus Jenson and Mark Fish were still with Bolton and played against us - a disappointing 1-0 defeat, but then a week or two later back at their ground again for a league game and an excellent 2-0 win with two late goals, one from Martin Pringle.

The last game at Burnden Park in 1997 was certainly memorable - last away game of the season on a Friday night live on Sky, Mark Kinsella scored a fantastic goal and we were 1-0 up at half time. The coach was really annoying - the IRA bomb threat was to the elevated sections of the M6 through Birmingham and was known about before we set off - not a problem, just go M1 / M62 and avoid it - but no the driver chose to join the M6 and put us through unnecessary frustration. I stayed on the coach after stopping at those services as Fanny has said and arrived at half time,  Bolton scored 4 second half goals , so a 4-1 defeat but it was good to have been there for such an historic game. Before the coach arrived at the ground we had agreed with the driver to allow a volunteer (me) to go to the club shop after the game to get programmes for those who wanted one and for him to wait (the least he could do after choosing to go via the M6 when he didnt  have to) - orders placed and cash collected I waited and saw Frank Worthington walk past whilst waiting for the shop to open. They didnt have to, but the Supports Club refunded everyone on the coach £5 as a gesture to say sorry for the drivers cock up - it was appreciated and a really nice gesture - and as Fanny says just being on the coach was fun too so set backs like this major delay were largely just taken in everyones stride. The momentum on and off the field was building, fans and club united and all pulling in the same direction and the following season was the promotion to the Premier League via the 1998 play off final.
    My memory of the ticket issue for the last game at Burnden Park is that despite only having 250, it wasnt a problem getting a ticket as it was a Friday night, on Sky, and a meaningless end of season game from Charltons point of view. But in terms of away travel, its the most memorable coach journey with Charlton - probably equal with Brescia away in 1993 in the Anglo-Italian Cup.