Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited March 11
    Can Fosu play as a 10 as well? 
    Played 25 games there scoring 4 and assisting 5, mainly for us. So handy there at league one level. 
  • Can Fosu play as a 10 as well? 

Yes.

Wonder if Fosu or LuaLua will play for the U21s this season?
  • I have mentioned it a number of times but I continue to be impressed with the money men in particular in this ownership. 

Not only have they provided the funding to ensure the club pretty much get out of the relegation mess but now are proactively looking to the future  and funding wages on new players on short term contracts to see if they are worth longer deals.

So far after years of despair with different owners these guys have provided a breath of fresh air. Long may  it continue.
    Absolutely, feels good being on the up and up doesn't it. Knowing the American corporate culture a bit I hope this end of season money is funded from a current budget or if it is an extraordinary item it doesn't affect the summer war chest. 
  • I have mentioned it a number of times but I continue to be impressed with the money men in particular in this ownership. 

Not only have they provided the funding to ensure the club pretty much get out of the relegation mess but now are proactively looking to the future  and funding wages on new players on short term contracts to see if they are worth longer deals.

So far after years of despair with different owners these guys have provided a breath of fresh air. Long may  it continue.
    Ipswich did something similar I seem to remember, an American funding source that obviously decided to speculate to accumulate so to speak and put proper money (and crucially proper planning) into the club and reaped rewards.

Sad to say I think we as a club are a bit behind where Ipswich were and may take longer to replicate their results but it does feel like an example to aim for.
  • Lincoln have picked up an incredible amount of talent from Ireland in recent years.

Jack Moylan, signed in January on a free is the latest, he has 4 goals in the last 2 games. 
  • Didn't Jones say the club going to announce another signing "early... [this]... week"?

• Didn't Jones say the club going to announce another signing "early... [this]... week"?

I’m guessing it’s LuaLua and there are complications with his registration status elsewhere. 
  • Could it be both Fasu and Lua Lua? Both free agents, and the opportunity to earn a contract for next season? I'd take both, as I think, sadly Chucks is too injury prone and it seems to be getting worse, and Miles will need to work back to fitness again.
    A set of strikers of Lua Lua, Kanu, May, Wickham and Fosu (with Miles getting back to fitness) would be one hell of a strike force for League 1, that's also assuming we don't keep hold of Ladapo.
  • Sponsored links:

If they can sort the contract situation out with their previous club 
  • RoytheBoy said:
    These free agents are to get us as high as possibles this season.The club is aiming higher than these freebies for next year. Expect to be pleased with the summer transfer budget, with quality.
    If they were aiming higher then these short-term deals would be completely pointless and just a waste of money. 
  • RoytheBoy said:
    These free agents are to get us as high as possibles this season.The club is aiming higher than these freebies for next year. Expect to be pleased with the summer transfer budget, with quality.
    If they were aiming higher then these short-term deals would be completely pointless and just a waste of money. 
    I don’t think we can read too much into the short term deals either way, it’s less than two months wages for one maybe two players.

It could also argued if we had a very limited budget we wouldn’t be adding to a squad that needs trimming back in the summer in terms of numbers and is now unlikely to get relegated.
  • RoytheBoy said:
    Pleased to hear. IMO it’s the loan signings that will decide whether we get promoted rather than the permanent signings we make in the summer. Really need to review the type of players we are bringing on loan, because they’ve all struggled this season.
  • RoytheBoy said:
    Why would we need to finish as high as possible this season though, by spending extra money?

As long as we're comfortably clear of relegation, it would make no sense to spend money on short term deals to enable us finish another couple of places higher, unless it was also with an eye on next season.
  • edited March 13
    I think the point might be to test the current squad with several other formations. Find players that can play these new formations and see how some of the marginal players cope with this system?
    Whoever they are they will need to run hard and not shirk a tackle
  • Sponsored links:

• Wonder how the trials are going. 
  • Deli Ali has been advised to drop down a couple of leagues to rebuild his career. I wonder … 🤔
  • _MrDick said:
    Deli Ali has been advised to drop down a couple of leagues to rebuild his career. I wonder … 🤔
    More chance of Ali Bongo
  • _MrDick said:
    Deli Ali has been advised to drop down a couple of leagues to rebuild his career. I wonder … 🤔
    Terrible advice. Better advice would be to give up balloons and weed and knuckle down
  • sam3110 said:
    _MrDick said:
    Terrible advice. Better advice would be to give up balloons and weed and knuckle down
    No, that is not better advice to give someone who is clearly struggling with mental health issues stemming from childhood abuse. 'Knuckle down'. Christ.
    You think dropping down 2 leagues will help with his mental health? Giving up drugs and working on yourself is better for mental health than almost anything. 

But yeah you're right, best thing to do is stick to the balloons and weed, hang out with the same people but come and play for Charlton!
  • edited March 14
    Alli potentially needs to find himself in a situation where the pressure is completely gone, and where he can enjoy himself again.

Lower League... e.g. Milton Keynes, or working with Karl Robinson again (isn't he Coach somewhere now?) might be the answer to help him find that love for the game again.

Can imagine the difference on and off the pitch between Premier League / Football League is huge

Although if he does drop down the Divisions, and fails - He'll stay there, or drop lower, thats the only pressure I can think of
  • sam3110 said:
    _MrDick said:
    No, that is not better advice to give someone who is clearly struggling with mental health issues stemming from childhood abuse. 'Knuckle down'. Christ.
    I thought I read that family members challenged this?