Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Northampton at Home postponed to Tues 23rd Jan 7:45pm due to international call-ups

edited November 2023 in General Charlton
I was having a look online and couldn’t see anything about whether this game is going ahead. I was thinking it may be postponed due to it being an international weekend. Has anyone heard anything on this, I’ve been holding off booking a train until it is confirmed. 

Comments

• Options
    Likely to be postponed you’d think.
  • Options
    Doesn't really need to be in view of the team we put out especially if Edun is back and he will be. 
  • Options
    Can’t know either way until there’s confirmation on how many players are actually called up for internationals. I’d expect to know in 7-10 days from
    now when those squads are announced.
  • Options
    Very likely. Need a minimum of three players to be on international duty. 

Jamaica have an international game so assume Hector/Anderson will be picked. Thomas is probably also a guarantee pick for his international side. 
  • Options
    Australia have a game too so AMB might be called up.
  • Options
    that would mean no Sat home game until the 9th Dec
  • Options
    I may be in the minority but if it's just Anderson, Hector and Abankwah - then do we really need to postpone it? 

Two of those don't even make the squad at the moment, so it's just Hector really - whose form has been up and down anyway, and Ness can just come straight in. 
    That would leave us very light at the back though. Especially if Thomas is called up too.
  • Options
    I may be in the minority but if it's just Anderson, Hector and Abankwah - then do we really need to postpone it? 

Two of those don't even make the squad at the moment, so it's just Hector really - whose form has been up and down anyway, and Ness can just come straight in. 
    That would leave us very light at the back though. Especially if Thomas is called up too.
    I agree. There's also the risk of picking up more injuries in games or in training. We also know that, even where a number of our players are fit to start, they often flag and we need to introduce substitutes to try and maintain energy levels. Nathan Asiimwe and Tennai Watson are two cases in point, whilst neither the latter and Edun (even if he's back) had a proper pre-season.
  • Options

I would be pretty annoyed if this was postponed, we should have more than enough to play these without them.

Is it up to us as a club to make that decision though or is it imposed upon us automatically? Never been sure 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pretty sure it's our decision 
  • Options
    Burton vs Cheltenham, Cambridge vs Bolton, Oxford vs Pompey and Reading vs Derby are also off
  • Options
    If the championship automatically calls off games, surely it's time for l1 and 2 to follow.
  • Options
    So annoying, just causes fixture congestion and isn't fair on the fans, undoubtedly will impact Northamptons attendance figures.

For selfish reasons it also winds me up as I have that Saturday off and planned for it, no guarantees I'll have the Tuesday off for it. 
  • Options
    that would mean no Sat home game until the 9th Dec
    bit of a pain in the arse
  • Options
    So annoying, just causes fixture congestion and isn't fair on the fans, undoubtedly will impact Northamptons attendance figures.

For selfish reasons it also winds me up as I have that Saturday off and planned for it, no guarantees I'll have the Tuesday off for it. 
    It would also be annoying if we lost the game, due to having 4 players missing from our squad. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023

It would also be annoying if we lost the game, due to having 4 players missing from our squad. 
    If we lost this particular game to Northampton, it wouldn't be because of the players missing. 

It's not like it's May, Dobbo etc, it's players who have ready made replacements/aren't part of our XI.
  • Options
    Who has been called up and for what side?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I imagine 3 from Hector and Anderson for Jamaica, Abankwah for Ireland unders, Thomas for St. Lucia, and Maynard-Brewer for Australia
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    JohnnyH2 said:

If we lost this particular game to Northampton, it wouldn't be because of the players missing. 

It's not like it's May, Dobbo etc, it's players who have ready made replacements/aren't part of our XI.
    But it could be May/Dobson if they get booked at Pompey and this game had not been postponed 
    True but then others should be stepping up, I'd like to think we have enough without them two to beat Northampton. We have a good record against them in recent years, they've lost 4 and drawn 1 in their last 5, I think it's a bit extra to postpone but that's my view. It's also hypothetical that there would have been suspensions. killerandflash said:
    sam3110 said:
    I imagine 3 from Hector and Anderson for Jamaica, Abankwah for Ireland unders, Thomas for St. Lucia, and Maynard-Brewer for Australia
    Losing 3 defenders from the squad (and the first choice keeper) leaves the rearguard very stretched. 
    It does but what's the point in a back up keeper if he can't fill in for a home game against a (without being cheeky) relegation candidate. 

You could argue the fixture congestion could be a bigger risk and when we do play Northampton they may have changed their fortunes by then and we may struggle with fatigue due to fixture congestion.

Like I said I get it why it's called, but it's disappointing to call off a game at home against Northampton. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Losing 3 defenders from the squad (and the first choice keeper) leaves the rearguard very stretched. 
    we're shit enough at the back as it is...
  • Options
    Given that we're mid-table fodder at present - with 6 wins and 6 defeats - and are bottom half in terms of goals conceded, I think it would be misguided to make any bold assumptions about our ability to turn over Northampton, especially with 2 or 3 first-teamers away on international duty. 

I'd prefer a Saturday game but the club's decision to postpone is a sensible one, especially as we may be a further man or two down owing to injuries and suspension by the end of the month.
  • Options
    Sods law it's a home match yet again. It pretty much devalues my ST, as I can't make midweek games.
  • Options
    Non league visit again to the mighty Ebbsfleet.