Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Halal meat

Had a hospital appointment at QEH, Woolwich, today. Popped up to the restaurant for a coffee. It was just before lunchtime and the menu went up. Both meat dishes were Halal. WTAF?

Comments

• Options
    Nicholas said:
    So what
    So I was shocked that if you wanted meat (which I don’t) you had to have Halal meat. 
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    It’s the same thing, just blessed as it was killed. Not going to make the meat taste any difference.
    ‘Blessed’. FFS
  • Options
    Why don’t you just get whatever it is on your mind about it off your chest. In fact don’t let’s keep the site a Charlton site. 
  • Options
    Did they sell popcorn?

Asking for a friend…
    Only Halal popcorn I’m afraid 
  • Options
    Half the people who moan about Halal meat don't even know what Halal meat is(TBH I didn't until a few months ago, I saw a reduced Halal pizza in sainsburys so googled it and saw it just meant the animal was killed in a slightly different way, Pizza was nice)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did they sell popcorn?

Asking for a friend…
    Don’t expect the answer to be sugar coated.
  • Options
    Had a hospital appointment at QEH, Woolwich, today. Popped up to the restaurant for a coffee. It was just before lunchtime and the menu went up. Both meat dishes were Halal. WTAF?
    Seems logical to me - that way more people are able to buy their product

What's the issue? I don't think you've made your point clearly. 
  • Options
    Alot of the meat we buy in supermarkets is halal but not advertised as such as many customers would refuse to buy it for whatever reason. How do I know this?.I used to be a manager in Sainsburys and at one stage managed the counters departments. We had an educational trip to one of the meat processing factories and saw how it was prepared and packaged. The staff there were the ones that said the meat was all blessed to meet halal standards and packaged up in both sets of packaging.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    holyjo said:
    It’s a relevant question if

a) you feel that the way an animal is slaughtered is relevant to your choice as to wether you eat it
    b) your own religious / ethical beliefs conflict with said practice of slaughter eg Muslims will not eat meat slaughtered by other methods / likewise practicing Jews and Kosher meat 
    c) You perceive majority populations ought not to necessarily wholly   adapt their habits to accommodate minority practises 

To assert that the question has no validity at all is as asinine as asserting that Halal or Kosher products should never adorn the shelves of our shops . 

Not every discussion has to be a zero sum game or be brutally polemic 
    It's also relevant as to what your views are in animal welfare regardless of whether you intend to eat it or not, although the 95% pre stun should comfort people (and has done for me). 

I don't have to want to eat the neighbours cat to get upset when I see someone kicking it. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    First of all, don't worry about the responses you're getting, this is sport to some of them who see a chance to label someone a racist and get internet points, sad people. So I'll just cut through what everyone isn't saying.

To be clear, I have seen a lot of your posts and it is 100% obvious that your views on this relate to animal welfare, rather than because you're an EDL skinhead, don't let people try and make you think you're the latter. Not to mention the fact that you don't eat meat, so there's no level of hypocrisy there. 

Anyway, onto the actual subject, just so you know, 95% of halal slaughtered animals are now prestunned in the UK, sadly the current issue is Kosher meat where that never happens, although this is a much smaller proportion of animals. This removes my concern around Halal food, and I'd be curious if that gives you comfort @Arsenetatters or if you're still against it?

It is so important that animals are stunned prior to slaughter. 

My source is below from the RSPCA

https://www.rspca.org.uk/getinvolved/campaign/slaughter
    100% this. Pathetic what people will do for likes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    First of all, don't worry about the responses you're getting, this is sport to some of them who see a chance to label someone a racist and get internet points, sad people. So I'll just cut through what everyone isn't saying.

To be clear, I have seen a lot of your posts and it is 100% obvious that your views on this relate to animal welfare, rather than because you're an EDL skinhead, don't let people try and make you think you're the latter. Not to mention the fact that you don't eat meat, so there's no level of hypocrisy there. 

Anyway, onto the actual subject, just so you know, 95% of halal slaughtered animals are now prestunned in the UK, sadly the current issue is Kosher meat where that never happens, although this is a much smaller proportion of animals. This removes my concern around Halal food, and I'd be curious if that gives you comfort @Arsenetatters or if you're still against it?

Thank you - I had no idea the slaughter was ‘better’ than I’d imagined.
    Jesus H Christ I hadn’t in a million years thought I’d be seen as a racist!! You’re right, it’s all about the animals for me. I’m a vegan - but it’s probably safer to be seen as a racist nowadays!!!
    I’m failing to see a single post using the word racist other than from you and Huskaris.  
    Don't pretend you can't see what was happening earlier in the thread. I know you're not stupid, so don't pretend to be. 
    Plenty pretend that statements that are clearly slyly a bit racist are not, and bleat about semantics and react horrified when they are pulled up on it. Perhaps the balance is being redressed?  
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:

Jesus H Christ I hadn’t in a million years thought I’d be seen as a racist!! You’re right, it’s all about the animals for me. I’m a vegan - but it’s probably safer to be seen as a racist nowadays!!!
    I’m failing to see a single post using the word racist other than from you and Huskaris.  
    Don't pretend you can't see what was happening earlier in the thread. I know you're not stupid, so don't pretend to be. 
    Plenty pretend that statements that are clearly slyly a bit racist are not, and bleat about semantics and react horrified when they are pulled up on it. Perhaps the balance is being redressed?  
    I just try and advocate for animals. I’m not a racist. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:

I just try and advocate for animals. I’m not a racist. 
    In that case come over to the light and go veggie. Personally I don't think animals care or have an opinion about the method of their slaughter, its all the same to them.
    Can you get Halal fish? They have an horrific death, gutted while still gasping and flapping, I rarely hear anyone sticking up for them.
  • Options
    What were the vegan options?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!