Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Elliot on Charlton

2»

Comments

• Bailey said:
    I think the key to the clubs on the field progress and probably what Paul Elliott is alluding to is the youth that is coming through. Certain players will move on but the key to progression is holding on to the Leaburn's, Anderson's Asiimwe's and Kanu's, if you can imagine those and other players progression in twelve months time, I would argue that, as a club, we would not have the purchasing power to buy better and probably wouldn't need to. The key is to resist cashing in when the club is running at a loss, that will take some doing and may even take the loss of one of those players to a high enough bid to facilitate retaining the majority. 
    It really doesn’t matter what the club wants at the end of the day. Certainly they might not cash in at the first opportunity but once a young player is wanted by a PL club there’s little chance of holding on to them. Treble or more their money and offer a life changing opportunity. Don’t blame a young player one bit. 

Bizarrely that's why I don't want any of our young players to be outstanding every match but prefer they are steady and the MOTM to go to the likes of May, Fraser, Hector, Dobson or CBT. Been a Charlton fan too long and other than Ademola Lookman we are normally mugged off for our younger players. Liverpool were bragging how cheap they got Joe Gomez for (3.5 million) and what the add ons were we will probably never know.

Jenkinson made sense and worked out fine as the 1.5 million ? helped fund a new squad from the poor team we had then.

In reality I/we should accept that one or two youngster will go but at the moment none including Leaburn are consistent( still learning at 19) enough but what is the ceiling for our young players and in Miles case the ceiling would need to be high !
  • He had some career.
    I was gutted when both he and Paul Walsh were sold to Luton.
    Does anyone remember the right footed screamer that he scored at the Valley, almost from the half way line?
    He would have only been 17/18.
    It was one of the hardest shots I've ever seen

I do remember that and for some reason I was standing high up on the open terrace down the Jimmy Seed end ?  Hardly ever watched a game from there and can still clearly see the long legged young Elliott strike the ball from a long way out.
  • edited October 2023
    He had some career.
    I was gutted when both he and Paul Walsh were sold to Luton.
    Does anyone remember the right footed screamer that he scored at the Valley, almost from the half way line?
    He would have only been 17/18.
    It was one of the hardest shots I've ever seen

I do remember that and for some reason I was standing high up on the open terrace down the Jimmy Seed end ?  Hardly ever watched a game from there and can still clearly see the long legged young Elliott strike the ball from a long way out.
    Jimmy Seed stand was built 78/79, and seats were installed 80/81. Paul Elliot made his debut 81/82.
  • Think it was a league cup tie against Reading, 81/2. I was on the East terrace (the big bank, or the "side" as it was known in those days) , and it certainly flew in from a long way out.
  • Bailey said:
    I think the key to the clubs on the field progress and probably what Paul Elliott is alluding to is the youth that is coming through. Certain players will move on but the key to progression is holding on to the Leaburn's, Anderson's Asiimwe's and Kanu's, if you can imagine those and other players progression in twelve months time, I would argue that, as a club, we would not have the purchasing power to buy better and probably wouldn't need to. The key is to resist cashing in when the club is running at a loss, that will take some doing and may even take the loss of one of those players to a high enough bid to facilitate retaining the majority. 
    It really doesn’t matter what the club wants at the end of the day. Certainly they might not cash in at the first opportunity but once a young player is wanted by a PL club there’s little chance of holding on to them. Treble or more their money and offer a life changing opportunity. Don’t blame a young player one bit. 
    The important thing is to get your best young players under a long contract, and without a transfer fee exit clause. That helps maximise the fee you'll get.

The Anderson contact was a good start.