Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Nice to see Elliott back involved with the club. Like that he says we are looking more towards the Ipswich model, not worked out too bad for them so far! 
  • Nice piece.
  • Ooohhhh.....THAT Paul Elliott. 

Damn. Thought there might have been secrets spilled somewhere. 
  • He had some career.
    I was gutted when both he and Paul Walsh were sold to Luton.
    Does anyone remember the right footed screamer that he scored at the Valley, almost from the half way line?
    He would have only been 17/18.
    It was one of the hardest shots I've ever seen
    Yes, I think it was against Reading in an evening game. Absolute bullet of a shot !
  • It was Reading, he's just kept coming forward, think everyone said hit it and he did.
  • Nice to see Elliott back involved with the club. Like that he says we are looking more towards the Ipswich model, not worked out too bad for them so far!

-------------

That's most likely why he uses them as the example.

But he also refers to Ipswich's "Incremental, steady, phased investment". My recollection is after relegation they threw a load of money at transfers and inflated wages, stock-piling players in the proces, several of which didn't work out, and it took them 3 years to get out of L1 employing 3 different managers in the process.

So whilst they're an obvious example if you look at their league position now, it got worse for quite some time before it got better and inevitably most of the bigger clubs get out of L1 sooner or later anyhow.
  • Because we’re owned by billionaires?
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought Ipswich threw big money at it to gain promotion , I know many took the piss but well look where they’re at now and look where we’re at 
    nothing about football feels sustainable 
    I still suspect it will end badly for teams like I h and more so Wrexham. Reynolds and the other dude have a combined wealth less than sandgaard. I get the Hollywood finance part but I can't see much interest in the Netflix series season 4 if they are league 1 or 2
  • I thought Ipswich threw big money at it to gain promotion , I know many took the piss but well look where they’re at now and look where we’re at 
    I still suspect it will end badly for teams like I h and more so Wrexham. Reynolds and the other dude have a combined wealth less than sandgaard. I get the Hollywood finance part but I can't see much interest in the Netflix series season 4 if they are league 1 or 2
    Not sure. I’ve a feeling they’ll do ok, because they’re a club with history and a very solid supporter base, and they’re growing the club in a fairly sustainable way, or seem to be at least. I think the Netflix thing is doing ok, isn’t it? I guess it could become repetitious if they have two or three more seasons in L2?
  • I've never met Elliot personally. Anybody on here?

...seen him in Blackheath and in the City. 
    With Wrexham it's about eyeballs.  Their twitter account has 3 times the followers ours does, for example, and the RT Reynolds did of their last games has got over 2.5 million views.  Manchester United's full time tweet, when they scored twice in injury time got less than a million.

In terms of additional review potential that's massive.  In a league where 300k can get you players like Alfie May and no one else is spending anything.

It's not about how much money they put in, it's about how much extra revenue, compared to their competitors, they can generate. 

Will it last, who knows.  There is an obvious ceiling on how big a club they can become, when it comes to competing with institutions and petrostates.

Not sure exactly how much money they need to put in now, as they've got the Netflix money, some good sponsors, sell out crowds every game plus the money they made from their pre-season games in the US.

I read that their projected income for this season was around 20m. That's more than us and even more than Sheffield Wednesday made in the 21/22 season.
  • TEL said:
    I see many of us think the same about the Ipswich example, they threw a lot of money at it and they now deserve the success....Im yet to see how we are going to start to emulate them.
    All they needed was the right manager, Paul Cook for some reason couldn't get a winning team out of the squad they bought.
  • mendonca said:
    I've never met Elliot personally. Anybody on here?

Quite a few times. Our children went to the same junior school but I have really got to speak to him in the last couple of seasons on Saturdays at Bickley Cricket Club. He sits on a bench there and uses it as his "office" speaking to his various contacts. Have talked to him about his footballing journey (saw him make his debut for us) and we have a mutual connection in so far as I used to play cricket with his former school PE teacher. Always approachable but I haven't seen him to speak to since his recent involvement at the Club. Oh and he openly admits that he knows nothing about cricket!
  • My point I was trying to make is Netflix viewers, especially in the US will get bored of progress slows. This isn't game of thrones and I can't imagine Wrexham season 4 on Netflix will be able to retain viewers. 

Once the Hollywood part does a death, how will the two owners be able to bank roll this. 
  • I think the key word is 'momentum'. In football, when you have it, you have to run with it. That is easier said than done as it generally costs money.
  • Sponsored links:

• My point I was trying to make is Netflix viewers, especially in the US will get bored of progress slows. This isn't game of thrones and I can't imagine Wrexham season 4 on Netflix will be able to retain viewers. 

Once the Hollywood part does a death, how will the two owners be able to bank roll this. 
    I would imagine they will try to leverage the success and energy thet have created with bigger pockets such as other celebrities or even studios, and over time reduce their involvement.
  • mendonca said:

Years ago used to see him occasionally in the Ramblers Rest Chislehurst.

Always very amiable in my experience.
  • I think Wrexham will eventually reach a tipping point in terms of progress because the current owners won’t be able to fund adequately. I think they’ll reach league one and then just like Sandgaard did with us realise it’s going to cost a lot lot more to push on. No disgrace in that. I think league one is their ceiling and good luck to them.
  • LenGlover said:
    mendonca said:

Years ago used to see him occasionally in the Ramblers Rest Chislehurst.

Always very amiable in my experience.
    He had a property around the corner from Chislehurst station years ago so that would explain things.
  • Hard to knock what Elliot said in that piece but we’ve heard exactly the same stuff for years. The glimmer of hope and that’s all it is, a glimmer is that we’ve actually got a SMT in place that knows the game. That’s an improvement on recent years but as refreshing as it is to us, it’s no more or less than every other club has in place and doesn’t actually give us an advantage but merely levels up the playing field. It’s hard to expect instant results in football and I don’t but I think the progress made on the pitch only moves us from outside relegation candidates to highly unlikely promotion candidates. I think we’ll start next season in league one and all I really hope for is another incremental improvement to possible promotion contenders. I don’t see any encouragement beyond that.
    We’ve never been serious relegation candidates in any form at this level.
  • Are they on Netflix? Thought it was Disney.
  • Not sure he’s right in saying that Ipswich took the approach of ‘steady phased investment’ to get where they are today.

They threw a fuck load of cash at it within a relatively short period of time. Very different (& much higher) than what we are seeing from our owners.
  • I think the key to the clubs on the field progress and probably what Paul Elliott is alluding to is the youth that is coming through. Certain players will move on but the key to progression is holding on to the Leaburn's, Anderson's Asiimwe's and Kanu's, if you can imagine those and other players progression in twelve months time, I would argue that, as a club, we would not have the purchasing power to buy better and probably wouldn't need to. The key is to resist cashing in when the club is running at a loss, that will take some doing and may even take the loss of one of those players to a high enough bid to facilitate retaining the majority. 
  • Hard to knock what Elliot said in that piece but we’ve heard exactly the same stuff for years. The glimmer of hope and that’s all it is, a glimmer is that we’ve actually got a SMT in place that knows the game. That’s an improvement on recent years but as refreshing as it is to us, it’s no more or less than every other club has in place and doesn’t actually give us an advantage but merely levels up the playing field. It’s hard to expect instant results in football and I don’t but I think the progress made on the pitch only moves us from outside relegation candidates to highly unlikely promotion candidates. I think we’ll start next season in league one and all I really hope for is another incremental improvement to possible promotion contenders. I don’t see any encouragement beyond that.
    We’ve never been serious relegation candidates in any form at this level.
    Serious no. Outside yes. That’s why I said it.
  • Bailey said:
    I think the key to the clubs on the field progress and probably what Paul Elliott is alluding to is the youth that is coming through. Certain players will move on but the key to progression is holding on to the Leaburn's, Anderson's Asiimwe's and Kanu's, if you can imagine those and other players progression in twelve months time, I would argue that, as a club, we would not have the purchasing power to buy better and probably wouldn't need to. The key is to resist cashing in when the club is running at a loss, that will take some doing and may even take the loss of one of those players to a high enough bid to facilitate retaining the majority. 
    It really doesn’t matter what the club wants at the end of the day. Certainly they might not cash in at the first opportunity but once a young player is wanted by a PL club there’s little chance of holding on to them. Treble or more their money and offer a life changing opportunity. Don’t blame a young player one bit.