Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

On the Grass

Comments

• ‘Project’ and ‘the group’
  • edited October 2023
    I hate the unnecessary addition of the word Football in front of the words Club and Matches, as if if a manager needs to clarify that he's talking about Football as opposed to the other sports the Club plays???

I realise this thread is bemusing to younger contributors, just take it as a little window into what lies ahead as you get older.
  • edited October 2023
    I’ve never heard “on the grass” in my life.
    Nor I had I till an Andy Scott interview. Apparently Appleton is very good on the grass. 

So was Rodney, but I wouldn’t want him as our manager. 
  • Just more dumbing down of the English Language.
    Just use one extra word "training pitch".
    Another one that drives me crazy is "in terms of", Brownie being one of the worst offenders, in terms of saying it too often 😂
  • On the booze
    On the razz
    On the make
    On the up
    On the wagon
    On the side
    On the turn
    On the road
    On the fags
    and now
    On the grass too.

• When did "low block" become the technical term for teams just putting lots of players behind the ball? I preferred "parking the bus" anyway!
  • 'profile' is one that apples seems to have introduced - 'our players dont have the right profile to be able to sit in and defend a game out' - whats that mean? we've got a shit defence?
  • When did "low block" become the technical term for teams just putting lots of players behind the ball? I preferred "parking the bus" anyway!
    i think the womens game have introduced these new terms - some of the women pundits are like walking coaching manuals - blocks, press, between the lines, transition - bring back big ron i say 
  • Sponsored links:

• Clear his lines. Quick it's raining, get the washing in.
  • DOUCHER said:
    When did "low block" become the technical term for teams just putting lots of players behind the ball? I preferred "parking the bus" anyway!
    i think the womens game have introduced these new terms - some of the women pundits are like walking coaching manuals - blocks, press, between the lines, transition - bring back big ron i say 
    Talking of Big Ron what was his term for the midfield thug? Was it enforcer, reducer or something else, cheers.
  • Stig said:
    On the booze
    On the razz
    On the make
    On the up
    On the wagon
    On the side
    On the turn
    On the road
    On the fags
    and now
    On the grass too.

Great piece of prose, best read in the voice of John Cooper Claaaarke
    I love John Cooper Claaaaaaarke. 
  • iaitch said:
    DOUCHER said:
    When did "low block" become the technical term for teams just putting lots of players behind the ball? I preferred "parking the bus" anyway!
    Talking of Big Ron what was his term for the midfield thug? Was it enforcer, reducer or something else, cheers.
    https://youtu.be/wGR4ICQaGgE?si=15aJxqps__-mGQ6g

Need to get the reducer in on Souness early doors 
  • Thanks 
  • Wasn't being "on the grass" the problem that Lee Bowyer and Dean Chandler had back in 1994?
  • I’ve never heard “on the grass” in my life.
    I've heard "up the..." oh no that's something else entirely 
  • Big Ron committed a few crimes against the English language "Denilssons' lollipopped him" for example.
  • Big Ron committed a few crimes against the English language "Denilssons' lollipopped him" for example.
    not the one he'll be remembered for...
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    iaitch said:
    DOUCHER said:

That's one that always got me, "early doors".
    Why doors?
  • X (insert any player) has signed a new contract which will keep him at Y (insert any ground rather than club) until Z (a far off year).  Oh no it won’t !  In reality X will be long gone from Y well before Z.
  • edited October 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    iaitch said:
    DOUCHER said:

Why doors?
    From pub licencing opening hours I think. Getting in early before usual door opening at 11am?
  • From the getgo. Where does this come from? 
  • Hex said:
    X (insert any player) has signed a new contract which will keep him at Y (insert any ground rather than club) until Z (a far off year).  Oh no it won’t !  In reality X will be long gone from Y well before Z.
    That's done me, I was never any good at algebra.
  • Was watching some analysis a while back and I think it was Eniola Aluko chatting. They were talking about a player on the  "overlap" a phrase we all know...overlapping fullbacks etc. She then started talking about "underlaps" as basically the winger/fullback had cut inside! I'm not having that. No way!
  • Sure she didn't mean underflaps?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    iaitch said:
    DOUCHER said:

Why doors?
    From pub licencing opening hours I think. Getting in early before usual door opening at 11am?
    I think it was cinemas as opposed to pubs. It got debated on the letters' page of WSC for many months. 
  • From the getgo. Where does this come from? 
    And while we are at it an old favourite:  "Can I get a (coffee / pint etc)?"  No you can't - you can ask me and I can get it for you.
  • “Recycle possession”… you mean a team are keeping the ball.