Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is our best starting 11 now things have settled down?

13»

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't believe you are Wright Charlie but you are in a small minority that doesn't see  George Dobson like I/we see his 100+ minutes in the heart of Midfield. For a league 1 club we are lucky to have had him over the last few seasons as the myriad of other midfielders were/are either injured, only fit to play 60 minutes or just not good enough.

If you had a rest of a team that was good enough to be in the top six would you need someone to do that?  

I definitely think top six clubs in League 1 have a Dobson type player. More than 1 normally as if you don't have the ball for 50% of the time then you need players giving their all to get the ball back or closing down angles and marking. Not many Pirlo's in League 1.
    Apologies for taking a while to reply I've been out of commission with a health thing..... through it now :0)

I only see the team live on infrequent occasions and on CTV and admit it's hard to judge the worth of anyone to the starting 11 on that basis. I absolutely agree that Dobson has been a diamond for us up til now, goodness knows how we'd have fared without him............... and here comes my 'but'............. but looking at our current squad, he wouldn't be an automatic on the team sheet for me if everyone else were fit and in decent form.
    It will be interesting to see how his new contract negotiations go. If the SMT and MA have a reasonably positive view on promotion this season I wonder, for example, how hard they'd try to re-sign him? Is he a Championship player? If not then why give him a long contract? And what does he think of his future, if we're going to progress up the league, where does he believe his fit to be? 
    It can't be easy coming in to our club and planning and enacting a pretty wholesale turnaround, so much to consider and to do and more than enough scope for error. Must be absolute fun though.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't believe you are Wright Charlie but you are in a small minority that doesn't see  George Dobson like I/we see his 100+ minutes in the heart of Midfield. For a league 1 club we are lucky to have had him over the last few seasons as the myriad of other midfielders were/are either injured, only fit to play 60 minutes or just not good enough.

If you had a rest of a team that was good enough to be in the top six would you need someone to do that?  

I definitely think top six clubs in League 1 have a Dobson type player. More than 1 normally as if you don't have the ball for 50% of the time then you need players giving their all to get the ball back or closing down angles and marking. Not many Pirlo's in League 1.
    Apologies for taking a while to reply I've been out of commission with a health thing..... through it now :0)

I only see the team live on infrequent occasions and on CTV and admit it's hard to judge the worth of anyone to the starting 11 on that basis. I absolutely agree that Dobson has been a diamond for us up til now, goodness knows how we'd have fared without him............... and here comes my 'but'............. but looking at our current squad, he wouldn't be an automatic on the team sheet for me if everyone else were fit and in decent form.
    It will be interesting to see how his new contract negotiations go. If the SMT and MA have a reasonably positive view on promotion this season I wonder, for example, how hard they'd try to re-sign him? Is he a Championship player? If not then why give him a long contract? And what does he think of his future, if we're going to progress up the league, where does he believe his fit to be? 
    It can't be easy coming in to our club and planning and enacting a pretty wholesale turnaround, so much to consider and to do and more than enough scope for error. Must be absolute fun though.

I’d agree with some of that if we had a big budget and that we owned Watson and Camara . 
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
                       Isted
    Asiimwe Hector Jones Edun
               L Watson Fraser
             Leaburn May CBT
                      Aneke
    @wmcf123 clearly very upset by the exclusion of Dobson. Getting a bit weird and culty with some of you, it's ok for people to suggest different lineups
    You are entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to laugh at it . I can assure you, I’m not “very upset” .
    It's ok to be upset, we're all friends here
    Why would I be upset that you expressed an opinion about a football team ? 
    No idea. I'm sure you have your reasons
    Could you two just get a room?
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
                       Isted
               L Watson Fraser
             Leaburn May CBT
                      Aneke
    @wmcf123 clearly very upset by the exclusion of Dobson. Getting a bit weird and culty with some of you, it's ok for people to suggest different lineups
    You are entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to laugh at it . I can assure you, I’m not “very upset” .
    If you notice , he’s arguing with himself !
  • wmcf123 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I’d agree with some of that if we had a big budget and that we owned Watson and Camara . 
    Yes, I get what you're saying (I think?).......... Watson and Camara, even if they are 'better' are only here for a while........but currently we don't have Dobson for any longer than those two. I guess we'd all love to think we're going up this season and that if we do the SMT and owners have a Championship plan and budget which will kick in to give us a squad worthy of that division. Our shaky start has made it harder to predict promotion so goodness knows how confident they can be in their planning for January and post this season...... way off topic now.....
    Getting back to the thread........... I like the look of our squad and hope whatever starting 11 is chosen will beat all of our selections........... we're not going to win this league by a country mile but I'm very hopeful we'll be there or thereabouts come the end.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Yes, I get what you're saying (I think?).......... Watson and Camara, even if they are 'better' are only here for a while........but currently we don't have Dobson for any longer than those two. I guess we'd all love to think we're going up this season and that if we do the SMT and owners have a Championship plan and budget which will kick in to give us a squad worthy of that division. Our shaky start has made it harder to predict promotion so goodness knows how confident they can be in their planning for January and post this season...... way off topic now.....
    Getting back to the thread........... I like the look of our squad and hope whatever starting 11 is chosen will beat all of our selections........... we're not going to win this league by a country mile but I'm very hopeful we'll be there or thereabouts come the end.
    I don’t think we will be because I think the defence and keeper have serious question marks .  Front 6 looks promising if we can keep a lot of them fit . 
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
                       Isted
               L Watson Fraser
             Leaburn May CBT
                      Aneke
    It's the internet, for all you know we posted everything from the same room
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
                       Isted
               L Watson Fraser
             Leaburn May CBT
                      Aneke
    It's the internet, for all you know we posted everything from the same room
    For all we know you're the same person.
  • Am starting to think unprintable thoughts. Except @Garrymanilow has already printed them here in this thread 
  • Back to thinking that I have zero idea what are best team and formation is, especially when playing away from home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Back to thinking that I have zero idea what are best team and formation is, especially when playing away from home.
    Need a more defensive set up away from home. Playing Fraser, Campbell, CBT, May and Leaburn all in the same line up was a bit naive. Away from home or in games like Bolton we need 3 of Dobson, Watson, Fraser and Camara on the pitch 

I’d expect Appleton to return to 3 in midfield and May up front on his own on Saturday, but I still think 3-5-2 is what we should be doing. 
  • The finishing eleven has become more important than the starting eleven!

Use "openers" to take the sting out of the other team and then put your best team out for the second half!
  • Has to have L Watson in it.
    It's a toss up between Hector and Ness. Hopefully Ness will get a chance and take it at the weekend..
    Asiimwe shows glimpses but then his inexperience shows itself in buckets so I'd say T Watson for now
    Miles up top alone just doesn't seem to work but Chuks fitness is always a problem.
    Right mid/wing would have to be Campbell but he suffers from the same inefficiencies as Asiimwe at times.

So all in all. Still a bit of a pickle l 
  • Another game goes by and I have zero idea what our best team or formation is. Not starting L Watson seems a mistake, but if he’s struggling defensively as Appleton states then probably need another body alongside him. 

Maybe it times to try the back 5 again and have both Leaburn & May up top.
  • Definitely keen to see May given the chance to play alongside Leaburn.

When Edun is back we will have the wingbacks to play 532:

AMB
    Assimwe Hector Jones Thomas Edun
    Watson Dobson Camara
    May Leaburn

or if we want wingers we can get two up front via 442:

AMB
    Assimwe Hector Jones Edun
    Campbell Dobson Watson CBT
    May Leaburn

Something definitely needs to change.
  • Definitely keen to see May given the chance to play alongside Leaburn.

When Edun is back we will have the wingbacks to play 532:

AMB
    Assimwe Hector Jones Thomas Edun
    Watson Dobson Camara
    May Leaburn

or if we want wingers we can get two up front via 442:

AMB
    Assimwe Hector Jones Edun
    Campbell Dobson Watson CBT
    May Leaburn

Something definitely needs to change.
    3-5-2 is the way to go with this squad, could even get away with playing CBT at wing back against weaker sides. Not sure on that 4-4-2 as Campbell and CBT don’t defend enough, could maybe put Camara out on the right and it might work 

Appleton won’t do it though, he’s one of those managers that has his preferred formation and won’t stray too far away from it