Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is our best starting 11 now things have settled down?

edited October 2023 in General Charlton
I guess it is 433, and assuming everybody is fit

Isted
Asimwe Hector Jones Edun
L Watson Dobson Fraser 
May Aneke CBT

I am not convinced about the goalkeeper. Nor Hector and Edun. I am also not sure that midfield 3 could gel and it may change if/when Camara is available but would then exclude Fraser.

Comments

• Yeah i would definitely start Leaburn and have Aneke off the bench.
  •                       Isted
    Asiimwe - Hector - Jones - Edun

Watson - Dobson
    Leaburn    -    Fraser   -      CBT

May

Aneke, Campbell and Camara big game changers all available from the bench when we need to switch it up (If they're all fit).
  • Southbank said:
    I guess it is 433, and assuming everybody is fit

Isted
    Asimwe Hector Jones Edun
    L Watson Dobson Fraser 
    May Aneke CBT

I am not convinced about the goalkeeper. Nor Hector and Edun. I am also not sure that midfield 3 could gel and it may change if/when Camara is available but would then exclude Fraser.

Leaburn instead of Aneke for me as I think Aneke is far better as an impact sub rather than starting. 
    Otherwise I agree with the rest of the team.
    Got to agree with this, though wonder if Camara may still come back in for Watson if/when fit

I guess realistically with two games a week and out injury history, that team is still unlikely to play a string of game etc.
  • I’m not sure I agree. Aneke was immense when he started against Exeter and did everything but score. He was a big part of why we won that game 4-1. 
    But, seeing as he’s so injury prone, I can see why you prefer Miles to start. But, on his day in this league Aneke is different class. 
  • Rob said:
    I’m not sure I agree. Aneke was immense when he started against Exeter and did everything but score. He was a big part of why we won that game 4-1. 
    But, seeing as he’s so injury prone, I can see why you prefer Miles to start. But, on his day in this league Aneke is different class. 
    I guess it depends on how far we're stretching the 'if everybody was fit'.

If Aneke was genuinely regular 90 mins fit, obviously you'd start him, but assuming Chuks-level fit means regular cameos then you start Leaburn and bring Aneke on v tired legs.
  • A Keeper

Asiimwe, Jones, Hector/ Ness , Edun

L Watson, Dobson

TC, May, CBT

Leaburn. 
  •                       Isted
    Asiimwe - Hector - Jones - Edun

Watson - Dobson
    Leaburn    -    Fraser   -      CBT

May

Aneke, Campbell and Camara big game changers all available from the bench when we need to switch it up (If they're all fit).
    I think that will be the shape we play, more often than not.

I suspect what ever answer anyone gives now will be different in 2 or 3 months time.
  • The funny thing about Aneke/Leaburn is that when one of them starts, the other looks like a super sub off the bench.

Miles did it against Exeter, coming on to replace Chuks and scored a lovely goal.

Having two such physical strikers, they can only help each other. Whichever way around they play, you’d hate to face up one for 65 mins followed by the other one replacing them.
  • edited October 2023
    The best starting 11 or the best 11 to finish a match. Depends on the state of the match obviously.

Alfie May would be in both where Aneke/Leaburn would job share.
    Dobson is a marathon man where Fraser and Louie Watson don't have the battery to start and finish.

We are still struggling to see our best RB and Left back as Edun haven't established himself yet, not helped by a hamstring injury and the RB position is still up for grabs.

I liked to think Jones is a 100+ minute player and whisper it but Corey Blackett-Taylor is looking more dangerous and fitter this season. Hector suffers with a condition where it's mandatory to make a mistake (same as Innis) but TBF he is steady and can be a rock if only he can eradicate the mistakes.

Same mantra from me that with 16 players who can Influence a match the starting 11 aren't as important as in days of old.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2023
    amb

Asimwe
    Jones 
    Ness
    Edun 

Watson 
    dobbo
    fraser
    CBT 

may
    aneke  

Leaburn and t Campbell come off bench second half 
  •                    Isted
    Asiimwe Hector Jones Edun
               L Watson Fraser
             Leaburn May CBT
                      Aneke
  • For me, the above shows how much we could do with a new keeper, CB and LB come Jan.  3 top class ones. If we are in touching distance of play offs and got those 3 positions sorted we would stand a chance
  • sam3110 said:
    We don't have a single best XI IMO, which is how it should be
    I think this is spot on. A 46 game season, and with first/second half added time meaning a lot of games now last 100 minutes, means a squad is probably now more important than ever.

I'd like to think that (possibly with the addition of 1-2 new defenders) we have a squad that is more than capable of being top 6.

• I'm a bit surprised how many seem to be disregarding Edun - I don't think we have seen enough of him yet to have formed much of an opinion

Pretty sure there is another GK in the building as I saw him being photographed outside the ground the other night.  I'm guessing he was a goalie because he was mahoooosive but it also fits in with something else I had heard a few days prior.  Not yet clear where he is in the hierarchy or even which squad he would slot in to but he didn't look like he's be an U18's goalie

Not been particularly with the centre-back pairings all season but Elerewe was decent the other night and may just be coming back into some form and Nessy is getting stronger.  Jones seems to be improving and Abankwah is highly regarded at CB so I am still pretty excited about our options for the season.
  • Swisdom said:

I'm a bit surprised how many seem to be disregarding Edun - I don't think we have seen enough of him yet to have formed much of an opinion

Pretty sure there is another GK in the building as I saw him being photographed outside the ground the other night.  I'm guessing he was a goalie because he was mahoooosive but it also fits in with something else I had heard a few days prior.  Not yet clear where he is in the hierarchy or even which squad he would slot in to but he didn't look like he's be an U18's goalie

Not been particularly with the centre-back pairings all season but Elerewe was decent the other night and may just be coming back into some form and Nessy is getting stronger.  Jones seems to be improving and Abankwah is highly regarded at CB so I am still pretty excited about our options for the season.
    The same with Camara, I genuinely believe when fit he's probably the best midfielder in the league. 

It's the getting him fit part that hurts. But he's the first name in the team if he is.
               L Watson Fraser
             Leaburn May CBT
                      Aneke
    @wmcf123 clearly very upset by the exclusion of Dobson. Getting a bit weird and culty with some of you, it's ok for people to suggest different lineups
  • Swisdom said:

I'm a bit surprised how many seem to be disregarding Edun - I don't think we have seen enough of him yet to have formed much of an opinion

The same with Camara, I genuinely believe when fit he's probably the best midfielder in the league. 

It's the getting him fit part that hurts. But he's the first name in the team if he is.
    Yep agreed, like Watson a lot, think we should look to sign him if we could, but Camara is a proper league 1 superstar, and would start if fit 
  • edited October 2023
                       Isted
               L Watson Fraser
             Leaburn May CBT
                      Aneke

Have you sold George Dobson to a Championship team or don't you rate him?
    @Garrymanilow

You are entitled to your opinion but please can you explain as  George is the most consistent player over the last two seasons.

I thought it was you who said Terry Taylor was replacing Dobson before Taylor had kicked a ball for Cafc. Apologies if it wasn't you ?

Bring in Dobson with Chuks and Miles too job share and that could well be the line up if they were ever all fit at the same time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't think TC is good enough 
  • For me, the above shows how much we could do with a new keeper, CB and LB come Jan.  3 top class ones. If we are in touching distance of play offs and got those 3 positions sorted we would stand a chance
    Nothing much wrong with AMB except maybe lack of confidence. It's the four players in front of him that are the problem.

Hector should not start unless we need a ball playing defender as part of a five. Otherwise Ness and Jones in the middle please. Let them build a partnership with Asimswe on the right.

Agree on LB. Please can we have a left back at least as good as Purrington because everyone I have seen in that spot since he left has been inferior by some distance.  

L Watson Fraser
             Leaburn May CBT
                      Aneke

@Garrymanilow

Bring in Dobson with Chuks and Miles too job share and that could well be the line up if they were ever all fit at the same time.
    I rate him very highly, I just think there are situations where he's not the best tool for the job. He's definitely one of our best 11 players but maybe he isn't part of our best 11. It's a bit of a broad question asking what the 'best' 11 is because you can play different ways for different situations. I think if we went up against a team likely to dominate us then Dobson would be our most important player. 
    We should be looking to control games more against smaller teams though and I think we can play better football a different way. Dobson wins a lot of tackles and solves a lot of problems that have come up through sloppy play but he's rarely a key part of our best attacking moves. He's not bad with the ball but he's not very dynamic with it either and he does cause his own share of problems by trying to win every single ball he can rather than holding his position; he tries to solve problems after they happen instead of before they start. Dobson has brilliant tackling stats but his peers in those top 5 lists are all in mid-table or relegation teams who don't see as much of the ball.
    I'd like to see us play a bit more like the teams who end up in the top 6. Very few of them have a destroyer, they have a midfield that takes care of the ball, dominates the time on it and drags opposition players out of position through passing while still being able to put a foot in. Cullen types. That's how I see Louie Watson so far. I think him alongside Fraser would allow us to control a game a lot more and with May's industry in front of them we'd make the most of having four forwards on the pitch. 
    Assuming fitness in an ideal world you'd always play Aneke. Reality is different but I like having a lopsided attacking threat. Pacy winger on one side and powerful forward on the right moving into the gaps Chuks creates when he drags players to him as he bulldozes through. Defenders can't just sit deep to worry about CBT because then they invite May, Leaburn and Aneke to have too much space to work in, but they can't push up too much to limit the time they spend in space in front of them because then they give CBT too much of an advantage. The only thing I'm not sure about is how well Fraser and May would do together if May is in the 10 role but I'd like to find out
  • Ok Garry, cheers for your reply.
    I believe Dobson is the vital cog in this team but football is all about opinions and mine has been that George's game will continue to develop under a good coach. 
    Hopefully that is Michael Appleton.
               L Watson Fraser
             Leaburn May CBT
                      Aneke

@Garrymanilow

You are entitled to your opinion but please can you explain as  George is the most consistent player over the last two seasons.

I thought it was you who said Terry Taylor was replacing Dobson before Taylor had kicked a ball for Cafc. Apologies if it wasn't you ?

Nope. To be honest, I didn't know anything about Taylor before he signed. I do think he'll probably replace Dobson next season but that's because I don't think we'll go up and Dobson will likely leave for a better deal elsewhere, which is fair enough
  • edited October 2023
    AMB

Watson, Jones, Hector, Edun

L Watson , Dobson

TC, May, CBT

Leaburn. 

- Can spot obviously faults with the team (Hard to get both Fraser and Camera in the side without shoving May on the wing) but think there is plenty of talent in the side to be competing near top of the division. 
               L Watson Fraser
             Leaburn May CBT
                      Aneke

@Garrymanilow

I rate him very highly, I just think there are situations where he's not the best tool for the job. He's definitely one of our best 11 players but maybe he isn't part of our best 11. It's a bit of a broad question asking what the 'best' 11 is because you can play different ways for different situations. I think if we went up against a team likely to dominate us then Dobson would be our most important player. 
    We should be looking to control games more against smaller teams though and I think we can play better football a different way. Dobson wins a lot of tackles and solves a lot of problems that have come up through sloppy play but he's rarely a key part of our best attacking moves. He's not bad with the ball but he's not very dynamic with it either and he does cause his own share of problems by trying to win every single ball he can rather than holding his position; he tries to solve problems after they happen instead of before they start. Dobson has brilliant tackling stats but his peers in those top 5 lists are all in mid-table or relegation teams who don't see as much of the ball.
    I'd like to see us play a bit more like the teams who end up in the top 6. Very few of them have a destroyer, they have a midfield that takes care of the ball, dominates the time on it and drags opposition players out of position through passing while still being able to put a foot in. Cullen types. That's how I see Louie Watson so far. I think him alongside Fraser would allow us to control a game a lot more and with May's industry in front of them we'd make the most of having four forwards on the pitch. 
    Assuming fitness in an ideal world you'd always play Aneke. Reality is different but I like having a lopsided attacking threat. Pacy winger on one side and powerful forward on the right moving into the gaps Chuks creates when he drags players to him as he bulldozes through. Defenders can't just sit deep to worry about CBT because then they invite May, Leaburn and Aneke to have too much space to work in, but they can't push up too much to limit the time they spend in space in front of them because then they give CBT too much of an advantage. The only thing I'm not sure about is how well Fraser and May would do together if May is in the 10 role but I'd like to find out
    Let’s be honest - u forgot him didn’t u ? 
  • Swisdom said:

You tease
               L Watson Fraser
             Leaburn May CBT
                      Aneke
    @wmcf123 clearly very upset by the exclusion of Dobson. Getting a bit weird and culty with some of you, it's ok for people to suggest different lineups
    You are entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to laugh at it . I can assure you, I’m not “very upset” .
  • DOUCHER said:
                       Isted
               L Watson Fraser
             Leaburn May CBT
                      Aneke

@Garrymanilow

Let’s be honest - u forgot him didn’t u ? 
    No, but I genuinely did forget Panutche Camara existed