Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Exeter City : Tuesday 3rd October 2023 KO 19:45Pm

So, The lure of the floodlights await us in tonight's encounter with "Them from the west country" Exeter City, now our record for evening matches so far ain't great, in fact they are c**p, and we are looking for our first victory under the lights, this could well be the one, although Exeter currently sit just outside the playoffs, they have lost their last two matches, lets give them the hattrick they don't want tonight eh...

Here we go...

Boban Tedić will make his full league debut as we host Exeter City at The Valley this evening.

Chuks Aneke, Ashley Maynard-Brewer and Louie Watson also start as Michael Appleton makes four changes from the team that drew with Shrewsbury Town at the weekend.

Tyreece Campbell and Miles Leaburn moves to the bench while Terry Taylor is missing with the ankle injury that forced him off the pitch on Saturday. Harry Isted is set to miss around six weeks with a knee injury which he picked up and battled through towards the end of his EFL Team of the Week performance on Saturday

It means the Addicks may use the 4-2-3-1 formation played on Saturday with Tennai Watson, Michael Hector, Lloyd Jones and Terell Thomas in a back four in front of Maynard-Brewer.

In that formation Louie Watson would join skipper George Dobson in central midfield behind Tedić, Alfie May and Corey Blackett-Taylor, who will all support central forward Chuks Aneke.

Tyreece Campbell and Leaburn are joined on the bench by Henry Molyneux, Nathan Asiimwe, Lucas Ness, Scott Fraser and Chem Campbell.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; T Watson, Hector, Jones, Thomas; L Watson, Dobson (C); Tedić, May, Blackett-Taylor; Aneke

Subs: Molyneux, Asiimwe, Ness, Fraser, C Campbell, T Campbell, Leaburn

Good to see Tedic start a game, and of course be a change to see how Chuks faces up to a start, but a good line up

Comments

• Options
    Starting Aneke is brave. 
  • Options
    I wonder if Harry should have been subbed when injured?
  • Options
    Chances of Chuks making it to the second half?
  • Options
    WTF is that formation with Tedic | May | Aneke | CBT all starting?
  • Options
    Oh dear, even our goalkeepers are suffering lengthy injuries now.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    WTF is that formation with Tedic | May | Aneke | CBT all starting?
    Wing backs with Aneke as the CAM? Think he used to play there, not sure if he can now. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    This is like when a child suggests a starting XI with all the strikers in it. Although said child would probably include Leaburn as well! Maybe he'll come on for a Watson, lol. Anyway, going for the throat at least! 
    At least Leaburn isn't on the wing... No wait, thats not what we meant!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I'm guessing 4-2-3-1
    AMB
    T.Watson Hector Jones Thomas
    ..........Dobbo......L.Watson
    Tedic........Aneke........CBT
    ..................May

It could also be a 3-4-1-2 or a 4-4-2. I do like that it's attacking, and I think Leaburn needed a breather, but Chuks from the start is always a risk. 

He did play as a 10 for MK Dons and I believe Arsenal as a yoot, and he played there some in the Championship for us. I'm just not sure I trust him to do that for 60 minutes at this stage of his career. 
  • Options
    Make or break for Chuks? Perhaps I shouldn’t use the word ‘break’ though.
  • Options
    Also, Aneke is traditionally a number 10, would make much more sense for him to be playing behind Tedic/May. Who plays on the opposite wing to CBT is anyone's guess but I suspect T Watson is going to do a lot of the attacking down that side - our full backs will be very lopsided 
  • Options
    Starting Aneke is brave. 
    Don't think McApples is aware of the issues starting Chuks 🙄. But bold line-up, esp the forward players. Can't see how all 3 of May, Tedic & Chuks can play "up front". None are wide players so I'm a bit baffled.

Anyway, cant be there tonight so have bought the stream. Golfie Jnr reminded me after I had paid my tenner that I've never seen us win at home when doing so. 

• Options
    Tedic, May, CBT and Chucks all starting is a bit to defensive for my liking 😂 I’m warming to this manager nobody can accuse him of playing on the back foot
  • Options
    Exeter: Sinisalo, Kite, Aimson (c), Fitzwater, Hartridge, Jules, Carroll, Cole, Harper, Mitchell, Scott

Subs: Woods, Sweeney, Richards, Wildschut, Taylor, Aitchison, Cox
  • Options
    I thinks it’s a 3-4-1-2 with CBT left wingback aneke cam and May and tedic up top 
  • Options
    Starting Aneke is brave. 
    Presumably this will be the last we see of him for a few months.

Should have stuck to 20 mins here and there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our bench is stacked, is a good thing
  • Options
    I'm guessing May will drop to midfield like he did against Wycombe. Aneke will be left to skulk around up front. 

Very confusing lineup.
  • Options
    Love how even our gk can pick up an injury. 

We are cursed.
  • Options
    3-5-2 I hope

Playing League one's top goalscorer for the last two seasons out wide, like he ended Saturday would be crazy.....
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    I'm guessing May will drop to midfield like he did against Wycombe. Aneke will be left to skulk around up front. 

Very confusing lineup.
    May in midfield???  Scores 40 odd goals over 2 seasons & he now drops into midfield. 

Madness.
  • Options
    We're either scoring 0 or 5 tonight tbh
  • Options
    I think we'd made all 5 subs by then 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I think we'd made all 5 subs by then 
    Nah we hadn't I thought the same, checked the BBC live text... Isted made that save from the lop on 74mins

We didnt bring Fraser on for another seven minutes.

Had Isted been sent off for the last man incident, then yeah we'd have been fucked, as that was after the last subs had been made - On the other hand, can understand why he got caught on the ball if he potentially wasn't moving well for that moment, but then that was an even better save when Shrewsbury almost scored with the last kick of the game.
  • Options
    Happy to see ashley back, harsh to have lost his place
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!