Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Francis Lee

RIP Frannie. Died aged 79 after a battle with cancer.

Comments

• Always enjoyed watching him RIP
  • I always remember a clip back in the 70s they showed on MOTD in slow motion of him pushing the ball forward quite fast and then dancing around it as it travelled towards the goal, not touching it once, almost hypnotising the defender.

Very good player in a very good Man City team.

RIP Frannie.
  • Lovely player.
    RIP
  • RIP
    Who was his fight with?
  • Didn't look much like an athlete/footballer but what a player. We'll still see plenty of clips of his famous punch up with Norman Hunter.

RIP Frannie.
  • edited October 2023
    Always remember him having a punch up with Norman Hunter. That’s negative.

Positive side.
    Part of that great Manchester City side that won the League Championship at St James Park beating Newcastle 3-4 last game of season in 1969

RIP 
  • https://youtu.be/oydMFd40p7w

this is what I remember him for.

RIP 
  • Sad to see somebody pass away at a relatively early age, and particularly suffering with cancer.
    I believe he made his money selling toilet paper after retiring from football.
    Sleep well Franny.
  • RIP
    Who was his fight with?
    Norman Hunter
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting very interesting. Just look at his face just look at his face.
    RIP
  • Barrel chested player who could play, score fantastic goals but more than capable of mixing it too. Post football, in addition to his businesses, he trained racehorses at one time and I think that he was the one that introduced Mick Channon to training horses.

RIP

• edited October 2023
    What a wonderful clip, the players, the crowd singing, shit pitch beautiful goal AND proper commentary!

Wouldn't get past any production Teams meeting or Diversity panel today.

RIP a great player!
  • Lets be honest,he was one of the most irritating,diving bastards who ever walked a football pitch,but ,could he play,part of a great City team,who I think would give todays team a run for their money,with Bell and Summerbee(another nuisance) they were a joy to watch.RIP Franny they dont make em like you anymore.
  • Powerful pocket rocket .. super footballer who made a second career as a successful businessman .. R I P
  • Rest Easy Francis 
  • My all time favourite footballer as a schoolboy for some reason. Remember a fantastic film piece on his penalty taking skills sending Corrigan the wrong way, saying stuff like "I sent the last one down the middle so he thinks its going to the side, so I'll send it down the middle again" etc.
  • One of the best players I have seen to play against us! RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP Great Player
  • RIP. I'd forgotten that he won the title with Derby after he left City

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66987328
  • RIP frannie great inside forward.. 
  • I think it was 64/65 on a boxing day morning against Bolton. He scored at least one maybe two. We ended up losing 3-1, he was excellent.
    RIP Frannie

• RIP Frannie.
    That City side had it all, skill, guile, pace, aggression in fact that sumed him up in a nutshell.
    Good England career as well.
  • Rip 

I found it ironic that on the BBC News they spoke about how he was a Manchester City legend and then showed the iconic commentary mentioned above where he scores for Derby against..... Manchester City.
  • edited October 2023
    He also had a great nickname.. Lee Won Pen.

During one season he won and scored a ridiculous amount of penalties so when the results were shown it invariably
    said Lee 1 (pen).
  • Amazing career on and off the pitch.
    Set up his business when just 22 which made him a multi millionaire when footballers were paid peanuts.

Horse race trainer and chairman of Man City and full on International footballer who would do anything to be a winner !

Cancer doesn't care and will hit anyone whether rich or poor, young, middle age or old.

RIP Francis Lee