Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD ; Shrewsbury Town Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 30th September 2023 : KO 3:00pm.

So, today is an Away Day out, and a game many, if not all will say is a must win, and in all frankness, anything less would be seen as a massive failure  against a team with the grand total of 4 goals scored all season, and to extend our unbeaten run to 4 games, forget about Crawley that don't count, this is the important stuff, and the win could see us climb into the top half, but if not at least heading in the right direction..
What a great chance to get back to back wins, after Apples first victory since taking the reigns with the 3-1 over Wycombe Wanderers last weekend, so here we go...

Tennai Watson makes his full debut as Michael Appleton makes two changes for today...

The right back impressed after coming on as a substitute in last weekend's game against Wycombe Wanderers, including setting up Slobodan Tedić's goal to put the Addicks 2-1 up.

Terry Taylor returns to the starting line-up and there is space on the bench for Nathan Asiimwe and Scott Fraser, both back after spells on the sidelines with injuries.

It is the first time Fraser has been in the squad since the Addicks opening-day win against Leyton Orient.

With the Addicks expected to line-up in a 4-3-3 formation Tennai Watson will join Michael Hector, Lloyd Jones and Terell Thomas in a back four in front of Harry Isted.

Taylor, skipper George Dobson and Tyreece Campbell will operate as a midfield three behind the attacking trio of Miles Leaburn, Alfie May and Corey Blackett-Taylor.

Asiimwe and Fraser are joined on the bench by Ashley Maynard-Brewer, Lucas Ness, Louie Watson, Chuks Aneke and Tedić.

Charlton: Isted; T Watson, Hector, Jones, Thomas; Taylor, Dobson (c), T Campbell; Leaburn, May, Blackett-Taylor

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Asiimwe, Ness, L Watson, Fraser, Aneke, Tedić

Sounds like a good starting line up, and good to see Fraser on the bench...

Comments

• Shrews: Marosi, Feeney, Flanagan, Dunkley (c), Winchester, Fleming, Kenneh, Perry, Bayliss, Udoh, Mata

Subs: Burgoyne, Anderson, Benning, Sobowale, Bennett, Bowman, Phillips
  • Strongest bench for a long time
  • Decent line up. I am also a bit surprised Taylor gets the nod over Watson. Chem injured? Options on the bench and good competition for places now. COYRs!!
  • Surprised there’s no place for Chem. Always good to see Marko Marosi though, he’s probably provided more important goals for Charlton over the years than our whole squad combined 
  • Yeah, surprised to see Chem Campbell drop out of the 18.`

Carrying a niggle, perhaps?  But a pretty strong bench.

Pleased to see we've an experienced RB starting, after his very decent late cameo last week.

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    Little, but happily surprised to see Asiimwe over Abankwah.

Makes sense having a CB and a Full-Back on the bench. But its rare to see loan players failing to making the bench at the very least, so that we stay in favour with parent clubs.

Be nice if we're not overly bothered by that this year.
  • Bet Deano is sitting at home just wishing he had that line up to choose from when he was here..🙄
    That’s football. We shouldn’t have lost six in a row the way we did with the players he did have available.
  • Why is the love-child of Alfie May and Stuart Broad the poster-child for Shrewsbury?
  • 3 gone from the squad of last week abankwah Anderson and ched Campbell replaced with asimwe taylor and fraser
    like for like you have to say that makes us stronger today 
  • Line up looks good. Bit worried about Mata up front for them though.
  • Looks like there is genuine competition for places now even to the point of the bench (rather than just filling out with what's available) which can only be a good thing - those players being left out of the 18 can put the work in in training and try to force themselves back in and those that have been picked now know they won't be getting a free ride on the pitch and will have to put the graft in to keep their place rather than still making the bench out of necesssity like they perhaps would have before. That's a win win for MA.
  • edited September 2023
    I know I don't follow football as closely as I used to but I don't think I've heard of any of the Shrewsbury team.

Do they have any stand-out players?

Edit: Except Flanagan now thanks to FA!
  • edited September 2023
    I wonder if Appleton is a manager that prefers to play the club's players rather than loanees. Not one in today's starting XI and only two of the five on the bench.
  • Sponsored links:

• Edun still injured?
  • I can't keep up with all the Watson's & Campbell's. It like an episode of Soap. 

Playing a team who've only scored 4 goals all season you'd hope we'd be able to win this one.

I'll have my eyes on the Ryder Cup so will only be flicking over to Soccer Saturday every so often. Hoping when I do the result will mirror Europe's.
  • edited September 2023
    Edun still injured?
    Out for a few weeks apparently, according to Appleton last week
  • edited September 2023
    I know I don't follow football as closely as I used to but I don't think I've heard of any of the Shrewsbury team.

Do they have any stand-out players?

Edit: Except Flanagan now thanks to FA!
    Udoh is their main man up front - He got the winner with that 94th minute goal a few years ago... 6ft, bit of an Aneke type forward man.

Scored once this season, got 12-League goals last
  • Good line up. 
  • Looks like there is genuine competition for places now even to the point of the bench (rather than just filling out with what's available) which can only be a good thing - those players being left out of the 18 can put the work in in training and try to force themselves back in and those that have been picked now know they won't be getting a free ride on the pitch and will have to put the graft in to keep their place rather than still making the bench out of necesssity like they perhaps would have before. That's a win win for MA.
    Is it 4 or 5 players that have featured a lot already this season who are fit and haven't even made the bench?

Only 3 missing through injury, as far as we know, as well.
  • I wonder if Appleton is a manager that prefers to play the club's players rather than loanees. Not one in today's starting XI and only two of the five on the bench.
    I'd prefer to think of it as us using loans how they should be - to compliment the team and fill in gaps rather than being the undroppable key man we hang all our hopes on like we have done in the past 
  • edited September 2023

So to recap - Tom Flanagan has played Charlton nine times. Been sent off twice, defected in our last minute winner at Wembley and got head butted by Jayden Stockley at the Stadium of Light. And he's won none of those nine.

⏱70' 🔴 #cafc 5-0 #salop 🔷🔶

— Louis Mendez (@LouisMend) April 1, 2023
    So he's guaranteed a bloody hattrick today now isn't he.... gone and jinxed it there.
  • edited September 2023
    See we have Kev Lisbie back in the studio in Curbs seat assume still on another of his hols, maybe a good talisman after last weeks win, more of the same this week Kev...
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!