Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kids kicking the back of your chair

Ok, on Saturday, I had a young fan continuously kick the back of my chair for around 5 mins during half time (they had moved seats to come and sit with friends) to which I asked his dad to get him to stop as the 2nd half was about to get underway. He did stop, for all of about 5 mins and the kicking restarted (dad seemed unaware of his sons restlessness)... so i asked again for it to stop... yet again it was still happening for the rest of the match. Yes I sit in the family stand but did not expect this. 

Now, I'm quite an easy going person, so let it ride as it seemed obvious the dad wasnt keeping an eye on him... I'd like to know what would anyone else have done in same situation as I dont want to appear aggressive/cause a scene or put off the any youngsters from coming to watch... i think its down to the parent to decide whether they should attend and if they do... to respect others around them and sit nicely. 

Comments

• Genuine question @Coveredendchoir do you have kids with you?

If not you have chosen to sit in the family stand so expect kids to be running around or kicking your chair, unfortunately not every kid that parents bring are intrested in the football.

If you have kids and have to stay in the family stand as you think it's better for them maybe have another word with the dad.

If you don't have kids and the kicking bothers you, i suggest leaving the family stand
  • I moved my ST to the family stand for a while. Didn’t last long, moved to the Lower Covered End and now back in the East. 
    The family stand wasn’t the best experience as it included the kicking of seats.
  • I do sympathise as had it before at football or on the train etc, and agree it's really annoying, but do slightly think that at the moment the stadium is half empty (or half full), if it happens just move.

And passive aggressively glower at the Dad whilst moving, obviously.
  • edited September 2023
    If it was me I would likely move as there are plenty of spare seats both in the family stand and also in the north upper you can walk to.  View in north upper is better anyway.

That said, if they had come to sit with friends it may be a one off so not happen again anyway.

If not you have chosen to sit in the family stand so expect kids to be running around or kicking your chair, unfortunately not every kid that parents bring are intrested in the football.

If you have kids and have to stay in the family stand as you think it's better for them maybe have another word with the dad.

If you don't have kids and the kicking bothers you, i suggest leaving the family stand
    Whether he has kids or not why should he have to move? The onus is on the father who can’t control his kid, who can’t tell his kid that kicking seats and annoying people is wrong. Kids need to learn discipline and it starts with the parents. And if there are that many spare seats maybe it’s the father and his kid who should move.

The next place the kid will be doing this is on a five hour flight and the person in front won’t have the option to move then.
    When my boy sits on the seat, his feet naturally end not far from the seat in front. He’s small so can’t sit with his feet dangling unless he doesn’t have his back against the upper part. 

I moved to an emptier part of the stadium this season for that reason. 

• Sponsored links:

Whether he has kids or not why should he have to move? The onus is on the father who can’t control his kid, who can’t tell his kid that kicking seats and annoying people is wrong. Kids need to learn discipline and it starts with the parents. And if there are that many spare seats maybe it’s the father and his kid who should move.

The next place the kid will be doing this is on a five hour flight and the person in front won’t have the option to move then.
    My point was

If the OP don't have kids and they are in a section specifically designed for familys then thats on them if they decide not to move, the father cant move as he is in a stand designated for families(as i am in the north upper i have no idea how many spaces there are in the family stand, but i would imagine it can get full on a Saturday game) 

If the OP has kids however and needs to remain in the family stand then as I said speak to the dad again, but i have seen kids in the north upper on tablets during the game that clearly didnt want to be there and were just dragged there by parents so possible this has happened with this kid as well
  • not just kids, at Leicester a while back I had a geezer consistently kicking the back of my seat and now and then kinda swotting my head and neck .. I asked him politely to stop and thankfully he did .. it's very annoying is it not ?
  • HandG said:
    Ok, on Saturday, I had a young fan continuously kick the back of my chair for around 5 mins during half time (they had moved seats to come and sit with friends) to which I asked his dad to get him to stop as the 2nd half was about to get underway. He did stop, for all of about 5 mins and the kicking restarted (dad seemed unaware of his sons restlessness)... so i asked again for it to stop... yet again it was still happening for the rest of the match. Yes I sit in the family stand but did not expect this. 

Now, I'm quite an easy going person, so let it ride as it seemed obvious the dad wasnt keeping an eye on him... I'd like to know what would anyone else have done in same situation as I dont want to appear aggressive/cause a scene or put off the any youngsters from coming to watch... i think its down to the parent to decide whether they should attend and if they do... to respect others around them and sit nicely. 
    Sorry to be pedantic but you do have about 10,000 empty seats around you to choose from. Maybe sit in one of those instead? 

....and you should have kept an eye on your offspring after the first polite request  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    I sit in the family stand. The guy in front of me lets his kids put their feet on top of the seats in front of them. They're often touching the backs of the people sitting there. (Whoever is sitting in front doesn't come back at half time). I have kids the same age but always keep an eye on where their feet are, it's just common courtesy. 

The family stand is a bit of a nightmare in general tbh. 
  • I've got literally no idea why anyone without kids would want to sit in family stand. The thought of having to move there myself fom the NU in a few years, makes me not want to attend at all. 
  • edited September 2023

I know you shouldn't have to move... but. I'm in the family stand with a just-turned 6-year-old. After buying season tickets I moved our seats to the back row of a block so I don't get kicked & son can fidget/stand as much as he likes without disturbing anyone behind. The ticket office changed the seats and issued new cards without fuss - all done in person at the ticket office.

Avoiding being kicked (want back row), easy toilet trips (want aisle), fidgeting/kicking not upsetting anyone else (need no one around you) - I think it just goes with the territory, go in with expectations of all of the above, it's no big deal. We move seats every game for one reason or another!
  • I’d tell the kid once more and the parent if it happened again, take it to the next level with the old man
  • Arrange for the tannoy announcer to confirm the seat number the kid sits in and then bring the kid’s face up on the big screen. Arrange for footage of the kid kicking your seat to be shown and get the them to pan out to show the dad and any other family members in attendance. Then stand up (your 6 year old can join in at this stage), point at the kid and start booing at the same time as encouraging the whole stadium to join in.

That’ll learn him.
  • This happened to me regularly whenever a kid sat behind me. I would put up with it for so long & then turn round to give them an “Appleton stare” & usually a “stop kicking my seat”

The last time I remember it happening I again put up with it for a while & when no reprimand came from the mother I snapped & none too politely snapped “stop kicking my f***ing seat”. Mother wasn’t apologetic & took said brat into the Millenium Lounge & didn’t return - I had the impression that they were family of one of our many foreign players at the time. But that doesn’t give their kids the right to constantly kick the seat of a supporter who HAS paid for their ticket.
  • This happened to me regularly whenever a kid sat behind me. I would put up with it for so long & then turn round to give them an “Appleton stare” & usually a “stop kicking my seat”

The last time I remember it happening I again put up with it for a while & when no reprimand came from the mother I snapped & none too politely snapped “stop kicking my f***ing seat”. Mother wasn’t apologetic & took said brat into the Millenium Lounge & didn’t return - I had the impression that they were family of one of our many foreign players at the time. But that doesn’t give their kids the right to constantly kick the seat of a supporter who HAS paid for their ticket.
    Swearing at a kid. Great look.
  • Just warn the kid if he doesn't stop doing that, Daddy will be going home with less teeth than he currently has.

I can think of nowhere worse to sit than the Feral Stand