Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers | Saturday 23rd September 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers
Saturday 23rd September 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ben Toner

Introduction
The Addicks travelled to Hertfordshire last Saturday, looking to record back to back wins for the first time this season, its not overly surprising that we failed to achieve that. On the other hand a 1-1 draw, after the first half performance, was without doubt damage limitation... We'll need to see improvements from Sparrows Lane, if we want to start looking upwards at the League Table.

The Opposition
Name: Wycombe Wanderers (9th) | Manager: Matt Bloomfield
Ground: Adams Park
Previous League Result: Wycombe 2-0 Blackpool

Welcome to the Valley... Wycombe Wanderers

For the first time in X years, Wycombe find themselves going into a League campaign without Gareth Ainsworth as their Manager - Of course its too daunting a task for Matt Bloomfield, the ex-Wycombe Captain took over the reigns, back in February having spent nineteen years with the club... Yet its a different beast having to build your own squad so how Bloomfield does in the long term, compared with his predecessor... Well only time will tell.

In terms of this current season, and its been a steady start for the Chairboys... They've picked up four wins this campaign, however have just the sole victory on the road - Conceding goals seems a big issue for a few teams at this level this season, Wycombe themselves have only conceded one less than the Addicks... So can be hurt, provided we take our opportunities

Charlton Team News
The big absence from the team in Hertfordshire was Alfie May... Our top scorer was absent from the team having picked up a concussion in training last Tuesday, so will be eligible to return once again this Saturday - Nathan Asiimwe was also absent from the squad with James Abankwah filling in at Right-Back, we could see a repeat of that again tomorrow, or new signing; Tennai Watson could be involved, having gained minutes for the U21s in midweek.

Elsewhere; Terry Taylor will no doubt be absent... He limped off the field at Stevenage with concussion - Chuks Aneke is another who could see further involvement, his involvement against Stevenage was a welcome surprise, finally making his well overdue return from injury.

Isted
Abankwah - Hector - Jones - Edun
Anderson - Dobson - C.Campbell
Leaburn - May - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Thomas - Ness - L.Watson - T.Campbell - Aneke - Tedic

Comments

• Thanks for the preview. 
    Can’t see this being any different from X number of recent home games. 

We huff and puff but don’t score. 
    Visitors score
    We keep passing sideways/backwards even tho we are behind. 
    Board goes up with 8 added minutes and players suddenly start attacking g like mad without success. 

Prediction 0-1. 
    When was the last home game we didn't score in, I honestly don't know.
  • The Chair Boys have dropped off after a few decent seasons so I expect the new look all change Addicks to win this
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Thanks for the preview. 

Visitors score
    Board goes up with 8 added minutes and players suddenly start attacking g like mad without success. 

Prediction 0-1. 
    Sheffield Wednesday in February
  • Feels ages since we had a home game 
  • A narrow win 2-1. No idea who to though.
  • 2-0. May and Leaburn
  • edited September 2023
    Comfortable home win for me 3-0, can just see us turning up and turning it on  for a change, gotta do sometime..ain't we..🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Feels ages since we had a home game 
    And then when one does come along for some reason you get a sense of deja vu…
  • edited September 2023

Isted
    Jones - Hector - Thomas
    C.Campbell - Anderson - Dobson - Taylor - Edun
    Leaburn - May

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Abankwah - Ness - L.Watson - Taylor Blackett - Aneke - Tedic

Ignore - just realised TT is injured. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Thanks for the preview. 

Visitors score

Prediction 0-1. 
    Sheffield Wednesday in February
    So nothing like the last x number of home games then.
  • Reckon we’ll win this.
    Look really strong up front and midfield.
    Hopefully MA has worked on the defensive shape and how we cope with set pieces.
    2-0
  • Need a performance. Heart says 2-1 head says 0-2.
  • Beat me to it LL, 3-1 no clean sheet tomorrow I'm afraid 😳.
  • Hard to know how good Wycombe actually are. They're on a three game winning streak in all comps (including an impressive 2 nil win against Blackpool) but otherwise their start to the season was very shaky, losing back to back three nils against Exeter and Lincoln.

As long as we strict them to a single goal at most, would be happy with that. We have enough going forward to score a couple of goals against most teams. Reckoning a 2-1 or 1-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• We have a defensive problem which is the most important improvement ee need to see from Appleton. Our centre backs have to work together and defend properly.
    I also think we have a right cack problem, just as we have solved the left back problem. We now have 3 unproven young players vying for right back, which combines with the dodgy centre backs makes a clean sheet unlikely.  2-2.
  • Leaburn and May to start will = a win

both to score 
  • I'd query whether our new lad, Abankwah will start as he had a difficult time at Stevenage. 
  • The manager has been there 20 years one way or another.
    They have developed a sophisticated level of shithousery.
    Also physical a bit like Stevenage.
  • I'd query whether our new lad, Abankwah will start as he had a difficult time at Stevenage. 
    I’d rather Chin and T.Watson do 45 each than play a CB out of position.
  • 4-3 Charlton win. 
  • Southbank said:
    We have a defensive problem which is the most important improvement ee need to see from Appleton. Our centre backs have to work together and defend properly.
    I also think we have a right cack problem, just as we have solved the left back problem. We now have 3 unproven young players vying for right back, which combines with the dodgy centre backs makes a clean sheet unlikely.  2-2.
    I don't think Watson is unproven youngster?
  • We will just edge this 5-0